Windows 10: Power Failure During Update

Discus and support Power Failure During Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This question has nagged me since my update to the Creator build on my Desktop. 1. What happens, if during the download of the update, the power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JJG10, May 7, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Power Failure During Update

This question has nagged me since my update to the Creator build on my Desktop.

1. What happens, if during the download of the update, the power fails?

2. Same for if it occurs while installing the update and the screen warns against turning off the computer?

I have the warm fuzzies because I run the Desktop off of an APC battery backup and also have a reasonably current Macrium image.

Just curious.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, May 7, 2017
  2. miamicx4 Win User

Power Failure During NSU Update

Which of the following below may be true?

During firmware updating process, your PC downloaded the necessary files and started the updating process. This is the stage where the PC says "Do not switch off the phone now or unplug cables or your phone might be severely damaged."

And the worst happens and the power goes out. What should we do now?

a) Just take out the battery and put it back and turn on the phone and re-do the updating process when the power is back.

b) Your phone is really screwed now, it won't turn on anymore. You must take it to Nokia Center.

miamicx4, May 7, 2017
  3. Power Failure During NSU Update

Try A as it may work, the chances are slim but not zero. If A fails then try B.

psychomania---01, May 7, 2017
  4. Power Failure During Update

Good question, glad you posted it. Same thing is causing me to tense up with the prospect of CU and the history of the local Electric utility.

Wiley Coyote, May 7, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    BE SURE the Router is also plugged into the UPS but there probably will be an interruption of the download at your ISP's end, all of which can corruption. I use a UPS but my ISP is on a different electrical grid/supplier from my household system so I have better odds of a good download than some folks. I use Wireless DSL from an antenna site on a hill about 2 miles away. And a UPS is intended to allow an orderly shutdown of equipment, not to continue longer than maybe 10 minutes or so.

Berton, May 7, 2017
  6. JJG10 Win User
    I should have mentioned my router/modem is also plugged in to the UPS.

JJG10, May 7, 2017
  7. axe0 New Member
    If a power issue occurs while an update is being downloaded, Windows will continue downloading when the system is running again.
    If a power issue occurs while an update is being installed, the update usually will fail and can be reinstalled when Windows is running again. Sometimes though, an issue may occur (like an unbootable system or Windows Update issues), but in those cases a backup is enough to resolve the issue *Smile

axe0, May 7, 2017
  8. JJG10 Win User

Thank you very much axe0.

That is what I sort of expected and I know how to handle it.

Thanks again.

JJG10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Power Failure During Update - Similar Threads - Power Failure During

2. Power failure during Windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power failure during Windows reinstallation: When i was reinstalling Windows, the electricity went off.When i turned pc on,it shows error-"Windows installation cannot proceed. Click ok to restart the installation."When i click ok, the pc restarts again shows this error again. What should i do now? Can i try...
  3. Power failure during Windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power failure during Windows reinstallation: When i was reinstalling Windows, the electricity went off.When i turned pc on,it shows error-"Windows installation cannot proceed. Click ok to restart the installation."When i click ok, the pc restarts again shows this error again. What should i do now? Can i try...
  4. Power failure during Windows reinstallation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. power failure during windows installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    power failure during windows installation: I was doing a reset of my laptop, but during the windows installation process the power was cut off. When tthe power came back on, I got the message that windows instalation cannot be continued and I should press ok to restart the computer. When I do this, the same message...
  6. power failure during windows installation

power failure during windows installation: I was doing a reset of my laptop, but during the windows installation process the power was cut off. When tthe power came back on, I got the message that windows instalation cannot be continued and I should press ok to restart the computer. When I do this, the same message...
  7. power failure during windows installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Driver Power State Failure during restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Driver Power State Failure during restart: Hello everyone, Since a few weeks I have the issue that my PC has small microlags after starting up the system. The problem shows with the cursor lagging behind and games being unplayable due to this. When I then restart the PC, the restart process is interrupted by a...
  9. Power Failure during Windows Installation

Power Failure during Windows Installation: I was busy reinstalling Windows 10 when we had a power failure. Now I'm getting a Install Windows error. 'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click 'OK' to restart the computer, and...
  10. Power failure during update installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Power failure during update installation: Restarting my PC to install update 1703, it got about 60% through the process, when - aaaargh - power failure!. The outage only lasted a few seconds, but the damage was done. Restart appeared successful, and everything seems to work, but the "update" screen in "settings"...