Windows 10: Power light on but no boot

Discus and support Power light on but no boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This has gone from bad to worse. It started with an error message when I went to close down, to the effect that the Start Button wasn't working and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ticked, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Ticked Win User

Power light on but no boot

This has gone from bad to worse. It started with an error message when I went to close down, to the effect that the Start Button wasn't working and would reset on restart. I restarted; it didn't reset. I could use programs but the Start button still wouldn't work. I tried to restart in Safe Mode, but the computer wouldn't go into Safe Mode -- I got the screens that let me select reset but the final step that would select Safe Mode with Networking just got skipped. I'm a little sketchy on what I did next (I got kind of and had to step away from the computer for about a week to cool off, and I'm afraid I didn't write out a history while it was still fresh in my mind) but I tried a variety of things to force it to start in Safe Mode and the result is that it doesn't start at all now: the power light comes on, but the screen stays blank and there's no action on the drives.
    Should I use my laptop to create a USB Recovery Drive to start the desktop computer on?

:)

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016

2. windows 10 fails to boot

after updating to 10 computer will not turn on and boot. Power light and hard drive light comes on briefly then goes off.

dennisleeZD, Feb 20, 2016
  3. cigo999 Win User
    PC Boot but no display.

Yes, I did but no changes.

cigo999, Feb 20, 2016
  4. Archie123 Win User

Does it beep on boot? After you turn it on before windows loads (or tries to load) do you hear a beep to confirm your bios has posted?

Archie123, Feb 20, 2016
  5. Ticked Win User
    No beep -- all that happens is the fan comes on.

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  6. Archie123 Win User
    mmmmm there is a possibility it has no speaker installed have you heard it beep in the past? If so let me know make and model of motherboard and ill tell you how to clear your cmos

Archie123, Feb 20, 2016
  7. Ticked Win User
    I have external speakers connected -- they work fine because I've been using them with my laptop, too. How do I ID the model of motherboard? I've taken the cover off the front, but don't see any identifying info on the motherboard itself.

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  8. Ticked Win User

Do any of these numbers look like Models?
    E145B3
    MS1003
    MIB75R/MH_SG MLK MB
    11068-1
    48.3HD01.011

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  9. Ticked Win User
    Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  10. Ticked Win User
    Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  11. damocles Win User
    Hi,

Sounds like a power supply issue. Try taking out the power lead and if there is an off switch on the psu turn that off too. Press the button that powers up the pc and hold for 30sec. That should clear the remaining power from your motherboard. Plug the PSU power lead back in and turn the psu on. Power up and see what happens.

damocles, Feb 20, 2016
  12. Archie123 Win User
    its nothing to do with your external speakers its a tiny speaker that plugs into your motherboard , if it doesnt have one you wopuld never hear it obviously *Wink Im trying to determine if your pc is posting past the bios if not you can reset the cmos eithewr by moving a jumper , pressing a button or removing your cmos battery (depending on what mobo you have)

Archie123, Feb 20, 2016
  13. Archie123 Win User

ah well in that case you need to make a bootable usb or dvd , if that fails it could be psu , mobo , hard drive failiure , ram issues allsorts which we can troubleshoot , sounds though like its prolly just a windoiws issue. (wpul;dnt hurt to make sure everything is plugged into your mobo properly too especially the 24 pin plug on the left side *Smile

Archie123, Feb 20, 2016
  14. Ticked Win User
    I can see that the NUM Lock and Caps Lock LEDs on the keyboard toggle on and off. I don't think it's a power button because the fans turn on when I power on. I've cleared the CMOS and there is no change in symptoms. I'm trying to work my way through DELL's No POST/No Power/No Video article, but I'm not clear what the diagnostic LEDs are that they mention...

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  15. damocles Win User
    damocles, Feb 20, 2016
Thema:

1. Power light on but no boot - Similar Threads - Power light boot

2. The power button light is on but the screen is black.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The power button light is on but the screen is black.: I have a HP Pavilion 14. It stupendously overheats randomly on apps like Adobe Acrobat Etc. Today it lost battery and I charged it for an hour. The laptop is showing a black screen on boot. It has a whining noise for a few seconds but it just stops.It has an i7 and iris xe...
  3. AC power light is off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AC power light is off: HI ihave a question,in my laptop Toshiba Satllite,model P55-A5312 The AC Power Liht is off,butt the laptop is working ok,how can i fix the ACpower light be on when i turn on my laptop?...
  4. AC power light is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AC power light is off: HI ihave a question,in my laptop Toshiba Satllite,model P55-A5312 The AC Power Liht is off,butt the laptop is working ok,how can i fix the ACpower light be on when i turn on my laptop?...
  5. AC power light is off

6. Power Indicator Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.

Power Indicator Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.: why does it keep blinking and doesn't know that it is connected to ac power? ***Changed Original Title From: power indicator light*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-indicator-light-keeps-blinking-in-ac-power/1623ccfa-64ae-4bbd-b26e-701842a5b1e9
  7. Power Indicatr Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.

Power Indicatr Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.: why does it keep blinking and doesn't know that it is connected to ac power? ***Changed Original Title From: power indicator light*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-indicatr-light-keeps-blinking-in-ac-power/1623ccfa-64ae-4bbd-b26e-701842a5b1e9
  8. power indicator light

power indicator light: why does it keep blinking and doesn't know that it is connected to ac power? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-indicator-light/1623ccfa-64ae-4bbd-b26e-701842a5b1e9
  9. Blinging power light

Blinging power light: Hello out there; My power light keeps blinking orange to green. I tried to go to the ASUS website but believe it or not they don't have my model type which is. X751N, I am also not to versed when it comes to all these goodies so I would ask that you keep the responses to...
  10. Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up

Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up: The problem is in the thread title; normally my PS_SW light stays a solid yellow and I'm able to boot up no problem. After moving my computer around the house a bit, when I plugged everything in the light was flashing yellow and is now unable to boot up. All the build...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows light_ps error

2. dell mib75r/mh_sg inspiron keyboard doesnt light up