Windows 10: Power light on but no boot

Discus and support Power light on but no boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way to test the power supply without ordering and awaiting delivery of a commercial tester? Given the sequence of events that led up to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ticked, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Ticked Win User

Power light on but no boot

Is there a way to test the power supply without ordering and awaiting delivery of a commercial tester? Given the sequence of events that led up to this failure, it just doesn't read power supply.

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  2. damocles Win User

Hi Archie123

At this stage, I am not sure it's a windows issue as the hard drive/os is out of the loop and the OP is not getting access to the bios. Let's hope I am wrong.

damocles, Feb 20, 2016
  3. damocles Win User
    I don't know - a tester is the best way....maybe your local computer/technical store will have one. A faulty PSU or other hardware like RAM could have caused the issues in windows which in turn led you down the safe mode path and the problems you are facing.

damocles, Feb 20, 2016
  4. Ticked Win User

I removed all peripherals except keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and drained power and restarted it -- this time it restarted in Safe Mode.

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  5. damocles Win User
    That's great!!! glad to hear you are back on track albeit in safe mode. Can you access the full OS?

damocles, Feb 20, 2016
  6. Ticked Win User
    It keeps rebooting into Safe Mode. How to I exit Safe?

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  7. damocles Win User
    uuummm! Can you press F8 to see OS loading options?

damocles, Feb 20, 2016
  8. damocles Win User

A quick google came up with the following for this issue - it was used for win7, I just had a look in Win10 and the instructions remain the same:-

1. Go back in to Safe Mode
    2. Type msconfig. (This will bring up the System Configuration window.)

3. Go to the Boot tab.
    4. If selected, remove the tic from Safe boot.
    5. Click Apply and then OK.
    6. Restart your computer.

damocles, Feb 20, 2016
  9. Ticked Win User
    I went into System Restore and saw there had been a Critical Update immediately before all my troubles started. I have reset to an earlier restore point and will see what happens.

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  10. Ticked Win User
    Thanks, damocels -- I will do that.

Ticked, Feb 20, 2016
  11. damocles Win User
    You're welcome...Let us know how you get on.

damocles, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Power light on but no boot - Similar Threads - Power light boot

2. The power button light is on but the screen is black.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The power button light is on but the screen is black.: I have a HP Pavilion 14. It stupendously overheats randomly on apps like Adobe Acrobat Etc. Today it lost battery and I charged it for an hour. The laptop is showing a black screen on boot. It has a whining noise for a few seconds but it just stops.It has an i7 and iris xe...
  3. AC power light is off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AC power light is off: HI ihave a question,in my laptop Toshiba Satllite,model P55-A5312 The AC Power Liht is off,butt the laptop is working ok,how can i fix the ACpower light be on when i turn on my laptop?...
  4. AC power light is off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AC power light is off: HI ihave a question,in my laptop Toshiba Satllite,model P55-A5312 The AC Power Liht is off,butt the laptop is working ok,how can i fix the ACpower light be on when i turn on my laptop?...
  5. AC power light is off

6. Power Indicator Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.

Power Indicator Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.: why does it keep blinking and doesn't know that it is connected to ac power? ***Changed Original Title From: power indicator light*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-indicator-light-keeps-blinking-in-ac-power/1623ccfa-64ae-4bbd-b26e-701842a5b1e9
  7. Power Indicatr Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.

Power Indicatr Light Keeps Blinking In AC Power.: why does it keep blinking and doesn't know that it is connected to ac power? ***Changed Original Title From: power indicator light*** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-indicatr-light-keeps-blinking-in-ac-power/1623ccfa-64ae-4bbd-b26e-701842a5b1e9
  8. power indicator light

power indicator light: why does it keep blinking and doesn't know that it is connected to ac power? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-indicator-light/1623ccfa-64ae-4bbd-b26e-701842a5b1e9
  9. Blinging power light

Blinging power light: Hello out there; My power light keeps blinking orange to green. I tried to go to the ASUS website but believe it or not they don't have my model type which is. X751N, I am also not to versed when it comes to all these goodies so I would ask that you keep the responses to...
  10. Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up

Motherboard power light (PS_SW) is flashing and system wont boot up: The problem is in the thread title; normally my PS_SW light stays a solid yellow and I'm able to boot up no problem. After moving my computer around the house a bit, when I plugged everything in the light was flashing yellow and is now unable to boot up. All the build...