Windows 10: Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

Discus and support Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PeteCursi, Nov 3, 2019.

1. PeteCursi Win User

Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen.

:)

PeteCursi, Nov 3, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 3, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Unable to boot up after shutting down the pc with the power button on

Your only option will be to power off.

Then try disconnecting power, holding the power button in for a minute, release, connect power, try rebooting.

If that fails, see if you can at least get into the BIOS.

If not, presumably you've a hardware problem.

And suggest that if you can boot up, you use the shut down button on your screen.
    (I'm still not convinced you're not powering your PC down- when you use the physical button, how long do you press it for, and what's it configured to do?)

dalchina, Nov 3, 2019
  4. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

The light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your description, I understand that the light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to various reasons:

• System not properly shut down or might be in sleep mode.

• Power cord connected to the device.

• Change in the settings.
    I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you make any recent changes to the settings?

• Does the CPU fan spins after the shutdown?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, (if you are using a laptop).

Unplug the charger from the lap top and check if the issue persists and also try to shut down from the lock screen.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 3, 2019
Thema:

Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

1. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen. - Similar Threads - Power Off button

2. computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?: I just got my fans replaced and I went on my PC to play some games. Everytime I open a game and let it run for a couple of minutes, my whole computer turns off. I updated NVIDIA too. My battery even though plugged in, has an x on it and it doesnt show up on the bar either....
  3. computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer randomly shutting down and power button blinking?: I just got my fans replaced and I went on my PC to play some games. Everytime I open a game and let it run for a couple of minutes, my whole computer turns off. I updated NVIDIA too. My battery even though plugged in, has an x on it and it doesnt show up on the bar either....
  4. Power button LED on while PC is SHUT DOWN

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power button LED on while PC is SHUT DOWN: Hello, I have a Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF and ever since my I installed a Windows update, when I shutdown my computer the Power Button LED remains white, basically making it impossible for me to tell when it is on/off.I've had this computer for like two months and this has never...
  5. Power Button keep shutting down PC

Power Button keep shutting down PC: It is already set as Do nothing in the Power and sleep button settings, but whenever I accidentally or intentionally try to press the power button, the PC force close all windows and program and then turn to blue shutdown screen and shutdown. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64...
  6. Power then Shut down Buttons

Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  7. windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed

windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed: when trying to shut off it says other users are working on the pc but there is one user that is logged out even after a restart whene logged in the power button works fine but when logged out it dosent please help...
  8. Screen button off / setting button off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen button off / setting button off: screen button off / setting button off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-button-off-setting-button-off/a2cb49d0-682f-4e93-94c5-667e0ca888ed
  9. Shut down, restart and sleep button not appearing after clicking on power button

Shut down, restart and sleep button not appearing after clicking on power button: Hello While clicking on Windows 10 power button shut down, restart and sleep options are not appearing but if i click somewhere around the region the pc gets shutdown or restart. Please look into the matter and suggest me the needful so that the buttons are visible....
  10. Windows 10 not shutting down correctly usng power button if screen asleep

Windows 10 not shutting down correctly usng power button if screen asleep: Hope someone can help with this. I have a number of systems in remote locations that use the power button to initiate the shutdown of the system. This is automated by a device external to the PC. After sufficient time to allow the system to gracefully shut down, this...