Windows 10: Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off

Discus and support Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Despite "turn hard disk after" set to 10 minutes (or less for testing) in Power Options, HDDs won't turn off at all. They used to until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rayend1, May 13, 2016.

1. rayend1 Win User

Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off

Hi,

Despite "turn hard disk after" set to 10 minutes (or less for testing) in Power Options, HDDs won't turn off at all. They used to until yesterday. I have made no changes to the system only updated NVidia driver, but I can't tell if the issue started after update or not.

I've checked disk activity via performance monitor and there is small (approx. 100kb/sec), but constant activity on drive C: which is SSD. Most of it comes from System PID4. Again, I am not sure if this is causing the issue.

Any help would be appreciated. I am super sensitive to sound and HDD not being turned off makes me very tired in very short time.

Thank you.

:)

rayend1, May 13, 2016

2. power selections not kept

An addendum to this, I has set my power option to "High Performance" and while reading my email (through Thunderbird, as I download my emails) the power option was changed back to "Balanced". I had NOT signed off my computer and the POWER OPTION Setting
    is being changed to the "(Recommended) Balance" setting.

This is annoying because the "Balanced" power option is disrupting my graphical displays.

Uncle Bern, May 13, 2016
  3. HiBbyonMS Win User
    Power options - is there maybe a known bug?

Normally the recommended "Balanced" power options are selected. But if PC turns into sleep mode and "wakes up", power options changed from "Balanced" to "Power saver"

Is this a known bug in Windows Pro 10?

HiBbyonMS, May 13, 2016
Thema:

Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off

1. Power Options/Balanced HDD not turning off - Similar Threads - Power Options Balanced

2. balanced plan for power

in Windows 10 Customization
    balanced plan for power: cannot get high performance power plan as option on laptop, what do I do? powercfg change does not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/balanced-plan-for-power/b598c38c-df19-4005-93c0-148c12ed713e
  3. Turn off auto volume balancing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turn off auto volume balancing?: I use my laptop for youtube and for discord, if I want to use both at once then my computer (running windows 10) will automatically lower the volume of youtube, how do I stop this from happening? submitted by /u/Acheron223 [link] [comments]...
  4. turn off display option missing in system power settings

in Windows 10 Support
    turn off display option missing in system power settings: I just got my first laptop 2 days ago from HP. Already in hindsight, I kind of wish I hadn't because of the lame support options, but the laptop itself is just fine with excellent display & performance. The keyboard is nice but the backlighting at my preferred sitting angle...
  5. power off options

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power off options: I no longer have power off options using my curser. My hibernate, sleep, shut down is no longer there. I now have to turn off my laptop with the actual power button. How do I reset my shut down/power off function?...
  6. No options to turn OFF adaptive brightness / no power slider

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No options to turn OFF adaptive brightness / no power slider: Hello everyone! I'm stuck with a very weird problem I can't solve. I'm not a full-on reading binary style tech person but I'm using computers (and fix their problems) since forever and never ran against a wall like this: My Dell M3800 laptop turned on the adaptive...
  7. Power Option for "Turning off display" remains at "15 minutes"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Power Option for "Turning off display" remains at "15 minutes": I am running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. Whenever I set the option "Turn off the display" to "Never", it reverts back to the default "15 minutes". This is under the "High Performance" profile. I have never, since Windows 3.11, ever had a setting change itself back. I have...
  8. Secondary HDD not turning off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not turning off: Hey guys, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro yesterday and so far everything works great, the only problem is that my secondary HDD always stays on. I have a 128GB SSD as my main drive and an 750GB HDD as my secondary drive for games, pictures and stuff. Since the...
  9. Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Do AC powered external HDD's work with Windows turn off hdd feature?: Been a while since I owned an AC powered external hdd. Do they respond to the same turn off hdd after setting in that of power features or do they have their own power management features? 88098
  10. Power options and action for a lid,sleep,turn off

in Windows 10 Support
    Power options and action for a lid,sleep,turn off: Guys I need help.I cant find a way to change 3 actions in my power plan.I need for option "sleep" -action do nothing,"close lid" -action do nothing and for option "power button" -turn off computer. The point is that I cant find proper registry.Is there any bat.file or...