Windows 10: Power Options Issues

Discus and support Power Options Issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Good morning forum, So this is one I can not figure out or find a way to solve. I found that there was a update for this for the Tech Preview, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Grenalis, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Grenalis Win User

Power Options Issues

Good morning forum,

So this is one I can not figure out or find a way to solve. I found that there was a update for this for the Tech Preview, but not for what we upgraded to from the free upgrade.

Issue is that no matter what I try / change the monitor to turn off, or the the PC to sleep, it just never does. Before the upgrade from WIN 7 it was working fine. I upgraded 3 other devices, 2 pc's and tablet, and the power options are working fine on those 3. I have changed the times in the power options app I guess you would call it, (settings, system, power & sleep). I also tried changing it in the old style power options in the control panel, and even advanced power options. I can change the times, 1 min, 5 min, a hour, etc. etc., it saves and everything looks good. It just never happens. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You tenforums

:)

Grenalis, Aug 10, 2015

2. Power saving options issue

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I will be glad to assist you with the issue you are experiencing with the computer. I understand the difficulty when things won’t work the way they should.

First, check if power troubleshooter resolves the issue. Follow the methods:

Method 1:

You can follow the steps to run the power troubleshooter on the computer and check for the status of this issue.

Note: Power troubleshooter helps to fix any issue with the power settings of the computer.

Follow the steps:

a) Type troubleshooting on the Start scree. Click on
    Troubleshooting.

b) Click on View all on the left panel.

c) Click on Power.

d) Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue using the Power troubleshooter.

Check if you receive the same error message with the power plan settings. If yes, check with the next method.

Method 2:

Let’s reset and restore the power plans to default settings. Follow the steps:

a) Press Windows key + X.

b) Choose command prompt (admin) from the context menu.

c) In the command prompt, type
    powercfg–restoredefaultschemes
    and hit Enter.

d) Exit command prompt.

Check if you are able to find the required options under the power options window. If not, proceed with the next method.

Method 3:

You can refer to the link to place the computer in a clean boot state and find out if another application/service is causing the issue:

Refer to the section “Windows 8.1” ( Applies for Windows 10 also)

Refer to the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a clean boot” to check for the application or program that is causing this issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Check if the same issue occurs while making changes with the power options.

Note: Refer to the section:
    How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope this helps.

Please post back to us if you have any questions. We will be glad to provide you with the additional options.

Thank you.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Power saving options issue

Hello there. Without even changing anything just yet, the power saver option now works. However, I'm still having the issue with "Energy Saver settings" not appearing in the advanced power options. Also, "powercfg-restoredefaultschemes" is not a command.
    I noticed, however, that powercfg is a command but restoredefaultschemes is not a command switch listed in the help menu. Was there a typo or does this command actually not exist and this was a miscommunication?

The Broken Record, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Grenalis Win User

Power Options Issues

No one has any ideas? Poo.

Grenalis, Aug 11, 2015
  5. AveYo Win User
    I've experienced this also. Now it's working ok again, but I can't direct you to the specific thing I did to get it work again (and far faster than in previous versions of Windows)

The only thing I've changed in power settings (default balanced plan) was to put require a password when wake up to off. So it's not this.

But I did lots of other stuff, like disabling the lock screen. Disabling some services. Disabling some system scheduled tasks. Disabling some drivers. And not activating any auto-update feature for my programs (firefox, flash, etc).
    Looks to me as a Windows-issue, you should not have to cripple the OS to get basic function like sleep working again. Best bet is to wait for SR1. If that won't fix it, I will investigate it further and post a workaround.

AveYo, Aug 11, 2015
  6. DanR Win User
    I have the same problem. Hard to believe there is no fix. But I've tried everything. I cannot change the setting so that it does not require a password after I wake it. My screen indicates that the change has been saved, but nothing changes after my pc goes to sleep. Still requires a password. The same for the setting that allows one to control the number of minutes/hours before the pc goes to sleep. Nothing changes after I save my requested time durations.

DanR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Power Options Issues

1. Power Options Issues - Similar Threads - Power Options Issues

2. Power options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power options: Windows 10: Start Menu Missing Power Option - only Shutdown and Restart Options https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/84bbb789-2ee9-468f-8589-a11c3fc20a48
  3. power options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power options: when i go to shut down my laptop on task bar it tells me power option not available. How do I correct this or change the setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/f8304b9a-92f3-4e62-b4ec-b13f71b2d3ee
  4. There are currently no power options available - Issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    There are currently no power options available - Issue: Hi, there is something up with my power and sleep options. I am unable to shut down my pc or even lock my screen with any shortcuts. I have tried all the methods mentioned here in the community section. like going to the additional power settings> choose what the power...
  5. Power option issues

Power option issues: my PC is showing there are currently no power option available I'm not able to shutdown my PC since last month please help me out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-option-issues/5f7ef1e7-1b43-4778-9d3a-67d83190c3dd
  6. POWER OPTION

in Windows 10 Customization
    POWER OPTION: Anyone has any idea why my laptop only has 4 settings like this? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-option/336576f5-6bf7-46be-9da5-dad8d708a557
  7. Power Option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Option: I have Windows 10 Pro 1909, the power option keeps on changing to default no matter how many times I kept changing them to best performance or even make my own option. I noticed this since the first update in Windows 10 few years and hoping there's a fix with later updates....
  8. Power Options

Power Options: On Windows 10, in the Power & Sleep options, I've set the screen to turn off after 5 minutes on battery and 45 minutes plugged in, while I've set the computer to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes on battery, and 1 hour plugged in. However, after 5 minutes of inactivity...
  9. Power Options

Power Options: Is there a way to get back the old power settings? (energy, balanced, power) Recently my HP laptop will try to sleep quickly - I have tried changing the settings but it keeps doing it. Thanks...
  10. Power Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Options: Recently the Hibernate Option went away from my desk top. Even in the control panel the option is not there. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/49a91810-1afb-42c7-94b8-8f8de3239ff0