Windows 10: Power Options Keep Resetting

Discus and support Power Options Keep Resetting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I feel like after a recent update, that either my power options keep resetting themselves or they reset themselves after each update since then. One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JOSHSKORN, Jul 2, 2020.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

Power Options Keep Resetting

I feel like after a recent update, that either my power options keep resetting themselves or they reset themselves after each update since then.

One of the things I do on my computer, is use it as a media player. I use foobar2000. The audio plays out to an audio receiver, which is connected via HDMI. The receiver then links back to my monitor on the HDMI1 port. For normal computer use, I use a DisplayPort connection from PC to monitor. Therefore in this instance, DisplayPort is still in use for my PC's video and HDMI is used for sound. I only switch my monitor over to HDMI1 if I'm playing XBOX, since my XBOX is plugged into another HDMI passthrough port (it has 4).

That said, I'm noticing that my Power Options keep getting reset to 15 Minutes, specifically the option to have the monitor turn off. When my monitor turns off, the media player on my PC stops playing. Therefore, I'd manually gone in and set it to never turn off, something I'd discovered i needed to to awhile back to avoid this problem. Again, for some reason, this keeps getting reset to 15 minutes, as I was using my media player earlier when my monitor shut off due to inactivity, thus my media player stopped, as well.

Is there a way to fix this issue, permanently? I was thinking about maybe a script to run at bootup. I'd like some ideas, please. Thank you.

:)

JOSHSKORN, Jul 2, 2020

2. Power Options

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the power options. I will try to help you with this issue.

You may follow these steps to reset all default power plans to default settings:

• Open a command prompt.

• In the command prompt, type “powercfg –restoredefaultschemes” and press Enter.

• Close the command prompt.
    Remember to restart the computer to check if that helps.

Keep us updated to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Jul 2, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Windows 10 power options

Bad drivers installed in your computer could cause various issues, including problems with power options. We suggest that you verify and update the drivers. Here are the steps on how to verify and update the drivers:

• Go to Search, type devmg, and open Device Manager.
    • Check the whole list of installed hardware, see if none of them has a yellow exclamation mark aside from its icon.
    • If any of the installed hardware has an exclamation mark, right click on it, and select
      Update driver software.
    • Restart your computer, if needed.

Keep us updated with your concern.

Xylee Del, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Power Options Keep Resetting

Windows 10 - Power Options - Closed (Laptop) Lid Glitch - 'Do Nothing' Option, Not Working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter. Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search box right up corner and hit enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the power options from the list.

• Click Next to run the power Troubleshooter.
    Method 2: Also I suggest you to create a new power plan and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel and then click on
      power options.

• Then click on create new
      power plan.

• Change the power plan accordingly and check.
    Check if it helps.

I hope it helps. Keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Power Options Keep Resetting

1. Power Options Keep Resetting - Similar Threads - Power Options Keep

2. Power options plan keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power options plan keeps changing: About a week ago with the latest windows 10 update my power plan kept changing to power saver. Tried removing it, used msconfig to maybe remove startup apps that cause it. Even after upgrading to Windows 11 home the problem persists.I am using an ASUS TUF F15....
  3. Power options plan keeps changing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power options plan keeps changing: About a week ago with the latest windows 10 update my power plan kept changing to power saver. Tried removing it, used msconfig to maybe remove startup apps that cause it. Even after upgrading to Windows 11 home the problem persists.I am using an ASUS TUF F15....
  4. power options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power options: when i go to shut down my laptop on task bar it tells me power option not available. How do I correct this or change the setting. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/f8304b9a-92f3-4e62-b4ec-b13f71b2d3ee
  5. Power Settings timers for sleep keep resetting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Settings timers for sleep keep resetting: I seem to have a similar problem, but a little different from a very common power plan issue. I have an AMD Ryzen 3600 on a X570 chipset mobo non Intel CPU. I like to set my power plan to put my PC to sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity. I have modified ALL of the existing...
  6. Power Settings keep resetting

Power Settings keep resetting: I made this PC a while ago and it keeps having this annoying problem. Whenever i put the PC to sleep or restart it the power settings keep resetting to the AMD Balanced Plan, and even if i change, swap or do anything with that plan it will always revert to its defaults,...
  7. Power Option

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power Option: I have Windows 10 Pro 1909, the power option keeps on changing to default no matter how many times I kept changing them to best performance or even make my own option. I noticed this since the first update in Windows 10 few years and hoping there's a fix with later updates....
  8. Power Options

Power Options: On Windows 10, in the Power & Sleep options, I've set the screen to turn off after 5 minutes on battery and 45 minutes plugged in, while I've set the computer to go into sleep mode after 15 minutes on battery, and 1 hour plugged in. However, after 5 minutes of inactivity...
  9. Power Options

Power Options: Is there a way to get back the old power settings? (energy, balanced, power) Recently my HP laptop will try to sleep quickly - I have tried changing the settings but it keeps doing it. Thanks...
  10. Power Options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Options: Recently the Hibernate Option went away from my desk top. Even in the control panel the option is not there. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-options/49a91810-1afb-42c7-94b8-8f8de3239ff0