Windows 10: Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

Discus and support Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, A month ago (03/16/2019) I purchased and started to use an 8TB Seagate Desktop external hard drive with my laptop computer (2018 HP Pavilion... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wrecklesstechn0, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

Hi guys,

A month ago (03/16/2019) I purchased and started to use an 8TB Seagate Desktop external hard drive with my laptop computer (2018 HP Pavilion 15t-cc500 CTO). I had been backing up my data with 2 different 4TB external hard drives before. I use a 4-port USB hub with on/off power buttons to connect devices to my computer. I now have my 8TB desktop drive connected at all times. A few times when I'd connect one of my 4TB drives to transfer or back up new data, one of the two hard drives would disconnect or become unreadable. This is what would happen:

I would hear a disconnect sound effect, followed by a connect sound effect as if it had instantly reconnected itself. The drive would reappear in my main "This PC" folder but without an icon and often without a drive title, instead just titled "Local Disk E". Upon opening the drive, either it would say the drive was completely empty, or as I browsed the folders, they would appear to have other files and folders, but through further navigation these files and folders would disappear until everything said "this folder is empty." This actually happened occasionally when I was just using my 4TB drives, usually when I had them connected simultaneously, but now it is happening constantly with my 8TB drive. It would usually get fixed if I just rebooted my computer, with or without the drive still connected.

But now upon restart, the drive starts out being connected but through no activity at all, the 8TB drive will spontaneously disconnect, after 1 minute to 10 minutes to 15 minutes. I thought maybe it was a power connection problem because the 8TB drive has to be plugged into the wall as well, and I had been using a surge protector to plug it in, which I thought maybe was giving it less power, so then I tried plugging it in directly to the wall. After many hours of no activity overnight, the drive seems to have remained connected, but I'm not sure this problem is solved. Daily, I use a file sharing/downloading program which connects to all the files in my drive, roughly 300,000 files, and sometimes the drive disconnects when I try to connect to the program, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. What could the problem be? Can my computer just not handle the power of two large drives, 8TB&4TB connected at once, or even just the 8TB alone is too much? All I want to do is to have my 8TB connected at all times and to occasionally connect one of my 4TB drives to back up and transfer files without one or both of the drives crashing.

:)

wrecklesstechn0, Apr 11, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 11, 2019
  3. SotoPrior Win User
    I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...

Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing. [​IMG]

I actually got this from an external hard drive, and I wanted to install it to my own tower. Problem is that somehow it is not receiving enough power to get the regular sata data cable to read anything off of it. What do I do honestly?

SotoPrior, Apr 11, 2019
  4. SotoPrior Win User

Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...

Hello again, sorry for the wait without answer, I have work during most of the week which keeps me off the computer tower at home. So far, I have taken previous advice on separate power cables plugged in. As seen here however:

Of note, only the 2 TB hard drive is detected, even with exchange of New Data Cables. Indeed both power sata parts are inserted into both hard drives. This power supply sports over 650 watts with no Modularization, Both the Harddrive and the Power supply are recent installations from a Best Buy I had brought previously over say 1 week or so. May I ask, how may I proceed with the "3.3 v" line procedure?

SotoPrior, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

1. Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing. - Similar Threads - Power problem 8TB

2. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  3. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    formatting external hard drive with 8tb?: Hello everyone.Wish you all a nice day.I need to format an external hard drive Seagate 8 TB, however, when I go to format I see the capacity is only 7.27 TB. Where is the rest 8TB, and what would it be the proper allocation unit size for such a drive?Thanks....
  4. formatting external hard drive with 8tb?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  6. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  7. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I have 2TB seaget hard disk (HD) . As soon as I attach my hard disk to surface go it shows 100% performance in task manager with 0 reading and writing speed. No antivirus is working as I start scanning it, it stays at 0% for long time until it detaches itself. Even the...
  8. Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.

Power problem? 8TB external hard drive keeps crashing.: Hi guys, A month ago (03/16/2019) I purchased and started to use an 8TB Seagate Desktop external hard drive with my laptop computer (2018 HP Pavilion 15t-cc500 CTO). I had been backing up my data with 2 different 4TB external hard drives before. I use a 4-port USB hub with...
  9. External Hard Drive Power Off?

External Hard Drive Power Off?: I have a WD 2TB Mypassport drive and for some reason after I shut down my desktop it still has power to it and the light blinks. I want to completely shut off everything when I shut down my PC. I checked all of the power setting and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have...
  10. I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...

I have a 8TB hard drive that's somehow not receiving enough Power...: [img] I actually got this from an external hard drive, and I wanted to install it to my own tower. Problem is that somehow it is not receiving enough power to get the regular sata data cable to read anything off of it. What do I do honestly? 105410