Windows 10: Power Savings not working as expected (not shutting down correctly)

Discus and support Power Savings not working as expected (not shutting down correctly) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running 64bit v1909. My power savings features are not working as expected. When left unattended for a while, my PC shuts down. I'm not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by shmish, Mar 25, 2020.

1. shmish Win User

Power Savings not working as expected (not shutting down correctly)

Hello, I'm running 64bit v1909.
    My power savings features are not working as expected. When left unattended for a while, my PC shuts down. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes before the PC shuts down, I think at least an hour. When I reboot it, it takes about 45 seconds to boot. It's doing a full reboot. When I open chrome after this boot, it gives me a message saying that it didn't shut down correctly and asks if I want to restore my tabs. Any programs that were running before the shutdown are now closed.

I'm using the stock "balanced power" setting.
    - screen off in 10 min
    - sleep after 30 min
    - hard disk off after 20 min
    - Wireless Adapter Settings: maximum performance (I have/use WiFi on my motherboard)
    - Sleep: allow hybrid sleep is ON
    - Hibernate is set to NEVER
    - Wake timers are Enabled

:)

shmish, Mar 25, 2020

2. When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Don Ve Win User
    Shut down and Restart do not always work as expected.

Hi Nick,

I tried this part again (actualy I did this before I asked the above question).

Press Windows key + X

Click Power Options

Under related settings, click Additional power settings

Click Choose what the power button does

Click Change settings that are currently unavailable

Uncheck 'Turn on fast startup (recommended)

Click Save changes.

Try these first to see if they work.

It did not really. Sometimes it shuts down, sometimes it does not. If I use Restart it sometimes restarts (if I have not done much on the laptop), but most of the times this shuts off the laptop and does not do the restart.

I have not tried the othet suggestion yet.

Kind regards,

rweij

Don Ve, Mar 25, 2020
  4. Power Savings not working as expected (not shutting down correctly)

restart and kernel-power event

Hi,

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut
    down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

Try this, see if it works for you:

• Go to "Settings"
    • Select "System"
    • Select "Power and Sleep"
    • Select "Additional Power Settings"
    • Select "Choose what the power buttons do"
    • Select "Change settings currently available"
    • Ensure that "Turn on fast start up" is deselected (unticked)
    • Click on "Save Changes"

Restart your computer after performing the steps.

Let us know if the above steps resolved the issue.

Venancio Khu, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Power Savings not working as expected (not shutting down correctly)

1. Power Savings not working as expected (not shutting down correctly) - Similar Threads - Power Savings working

2. Cant shut down correctly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cant shut down correctly: Hi I have a problem I can't shutdown my pc when I do it shows its shutting down but turns on again it is same with hibernate and sleep it is as if restarting somebody pls help...
  3. Cant shut down correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant shut down correctly: Hi I have a problem I can't shutdown my pc when I do it shows its shutting down but turns on again it is same with hibernate and sleep it is as if restarting somebody pls help...
  4. Cant shut down correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pc will not restart or shut down correctly

Pc will not restart or shut down correctly: Hello, I have recently upgraded my cpu so needed a new motherboard and ram too.I have Intel i7 10700k and an MSI Z490-a pro motherboard and 16gb DDR4 3200mhz ram.I have updated bios and latest windows update installed.Whenever I try restarting or shutting down my pc it...
  6. Power then Shut down Buttons

Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  7. Power/Shut Down Problem.

Power/Shut Down Problem.: My computer has been shutting down randomly a lot recently and I am hoping to get some help. My power settings are set so that it should never to to sleep or hibernate and the hard drive should not power down but after an hour or so of being idle my computer shuts down...
  8. Shut down/Power off

Shut down/Power off: I have an HP laptop with windows 10 home. When I choose start/shut down, it closes everything and screen goes blank, but won't power down (off). It used to work. I have to manually turn it off....
  9. Mouse keeps shutting down to try and save power...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse keeps shutting down to try and save power...: I never had this problem before but recently my wireless mouse seems to shut down after a minute or two. I think it's about saving battery power. I only have the windows driver installed, no outside company driver - i've tried to download several drivers from 'Tecknet', the...
  10. power on/shut down

power on/shut down: I recently reset my laptop back to the original settings. Ever since when I want to shut down now my laptop I only see Sleep, Update and Shut down and Update and Restart. I don't see the simple Shut down option. I don't want to continually update. How can I get this fixed?...