Windows 10: Power setting turn off Intel speedstep

Discus and support Power setting turn off Intel speedstep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Checked my UEFI bios and noted that speedstep is turned off. Can a Windows 10 power setting turn speedstep off in bios? Ver 1803, Dell laptop, >my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ken1943, Jun 23, 2018.

1. ken1943 Win User

Power setting turn off Intel speedstep

Checked my UEFI bios and noted that speedstep is turned off. Can a Windows 10 power setting turn speedstep off in bios?

Ver 1803, Dell laptop, >my usage does not stress the laptop<.
    Task Manager & CPU-z both show 2.5 g for speed
    HWINFO shows temp as around 45c

:)

ken1943, Jun 23, 2018
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

Intel Speedstep Technology

Has anyone here, other then amd users, actually had a cpu fail on them that they could trace back to a thermal issue other then a failed fan or poor heatsink mounting? Maybe I'm just lucky. I've been abusing cpus since the 286 days. =)

What is the 'trip point' for speedstep? >10%? >50%?

What's also interesting in my bios on this AA8 is that C1E has to be disabled to disable speedstep. Disabling EIST (enhansed intel speed step) didn't do a thing. Go figure.

Lazzer408, Jun 24, 2018
  3. Intel SpeedStep on Windows 10.0.10586 N/A Build 10586

I have a new Dell Precision Mobile 5510 with the Xeon E3-1505M v5 2.80Ghz CPU. With speedstep enabled and C-States enabled i get a weird situation. When the laptop is plugged in and first booted into Windows the CPU is showing 100% of its capable speed as
    the power plan has it set. I have the power plan set to 100% min and max for the CPU when plugged in. When i unplug it, as expected, the CPU speed throttles down. The odd thing is when i plug it back in the CPU speed will not go above 1.76Ghz. It does not
    matter what i do with the power plan, or if i unplugged it and plug it back in again. Only a reboot will Windows allow 100% its speed. Of course if i disable speedstep in the BIOS then it will use 100% speed all the time whether on battery or not.

I just installed the new release of Windows 10 so i am wondering if this is a bug, however i did not notice if this was a problem or not before the new version. I updated the BIOS and this is still an issue.

Also when on battery speedstep works just fine. It will let me use 100% of the rated speed when on battery just not on AC.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

TrojanMan78, Jun 24, 2018
  4. Power setting turn off Intel speedstep

"Hidden" speedstep setting?

RE: Hidden Speedstep

yeah, as Linux has better cpu power consumption support than windows at times, since Intel does a lot for Linux as well, although it can also be a power setting in vista thats doing that.

DComander1, Jun 24, 2018
Thema:

Power setting turn off Intel speedstep

1. Power setting turn off Intel speedstep - Similar Threads - Power setting turn

2. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  3. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  4. Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working: I have the Power & Sleep setting configured for 2 hours, but the screen never turns off. I recently restarted the computer. Would that have changed the Power & Sleep settings?TIA for your help.SweetTasha....
  5. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

in Windows 10 Support
    Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on: Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10 minutes and the put the computer to sleep set to never. After 10 minutes of no activity the screen turns off but then turns...
  6. Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off.

Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off.: Laptop still turns off even when advanced power settings are set to never turn off on any setting un plugged or plugged in but it still does and I cant leave my computer for more than 2 minutes without it turning off witch leaves me stuck trying to download something that...
  7. Windows 10 Turn off Display Power Setting

Windows 10 Turn off Display Power Setting: I have an MSI laptop that I use for streaming, so I leave the computer on almost all the time. I want my monitors to turn off though after a period of inactivity. I have my power plan settings set to turn the monitors off after 15 minutes. When 15 minutes is up, the displays...
  8. Monitors will not turn off per power settings

Monitors will not turn off per power settings: My monitors do not enter power save, per my power settings. I've run troubleshooter, reset to default, changed settings, updated drivers, checked reliability monitor, unplugged all usb device, issue persists. Can anyone help with this?...
  9. settings, turn system icon on off, power button is not functional it is turned off...

settings, turn system icon on off, power button is not functional it is turned off...: Hi, In Windows 10, settings, turn system icon on off, the power button is not functional it is turned off permanently, please help, cannot put battery icon on my taskbar...
  10. Checked my UEFI bios and noted that speedstep is turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Checked my UEFI bios and noted that speedstep is turned off: Checked my UEFI bios and noted that speedstep is turned off. Can a Windows 10 power setting turn speedstep off in bios? Ver 1803, Dell laptop, >my usage does not stress the laptop<. Task Manager & CPU-z both show 2.5 g for speed HWINFO shows temp as around 45c 112800

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off speedstep windows 10 dell