Windows 10: Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

Discus and support Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Verna, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Verna Win User

Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10 minutes and the put the computer to sleep set to never. After 10 minutes of no activity the screen turns off but then turns right back on. I've unplugged my USB hub with no USB devices connected except my Logitech trackball and I'm not touching it or bumping the desk to cause the display to turn on. The only other USB device I have plugged in is my Microsoft keyboard. Sadly, I have no way to turn the monitor off separately so it ends up staying on all the time. I worry it will damage my monitor over time. Any ideas on how to fix this problem. Thanks!

:)

Verna, Jul 23, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

turn off display option missing in system power settings

Is your HP Envy 17t-ce000 CTO a 'Modern Standby' machine? If so, then that may explain it. From a similar question about a Dell XPS...

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/9...6130902#M14642

3. jorog(2) Win User
    Display does not turn off when pc is idle

Just did all the suggestions. Did not work. Display does not turn off.

This issue was from the beginning when I downloaded Win 10. I had Win 8.1 and the display always turned off as I set it.

My pc is HP Pavilion Touchsmart 23 all-in-one. According to "checking for updated drivers on display and monitors", I always get the response that the drivers currently installed are the correct ones.

jorog(2), Jul 23, 2021
  4. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

Power & sleep settings

It seems that there is something else that triggers this problem. We've tried to replicate this in our end and we received a different result. The display stayed off until the computer was manually wake up

For us to isolate this further, we suggest that you restore the power plan settings to default. Follow these steps:

• In the Cortana seach, type in Power Options and click it from the search results.
    • In the right pane of your preferred plan, click Change plan settings.
    • Click Restore default settings for this plan.

Once it's restored, please have your screen or the display turned off the same time as the screensaver would start. Say, set both to 5 minutes.

In case the issue persists, then please go ahead and perform a clean boot. Starting Windows with minimal set of drivers and startup programs will help us determine what conflict is causing the problem. See

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    for the steps.

Let us know the result.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 23, 2021
Thema:

Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

1. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on - Similar Threads - Power setting turns

2. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  3. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    display won't turn off according to power settings: External monitor doesn't follow power settings. Never turns off. This occurred after recent update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/display-wont-turn-off-according-to-power-settings/7954efb7-f242-4c62-9e7c-6c02b86f1557
  4. display won't turn off according to power settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.

Display turning on immediately after turn off timer in power settings.: Whenever the timer goes off, the monitors turn black, but immediately power back on as if something is constantly waking them up. My desktop has had a similar issue before of the monitor never turning off, but that turned out to be a controller being plugged in issue for some...
  6. Display set to turn off but turns on again immediately.

in Windows 10 Support
    Display set to turn off but turns on again immediately.: 2 months ago i bought a new PC with windows 10. Everything runs perfectly, except this annoying thing: I have display turn-off set to 15 minutes. So after 15 minutes of inactivity the display turns off, but then turns on immediately again. After an additional 15 minutes the...
  7. Windows 10 Turn off Display Power Setting

Windows 10 Turn off Display Power Setting: I have an MSI laptop that I use for streaming, so I leave the computer on almost all the time. I want my monitors to turn off though after a period of inactivity. I have my power plan settings set to turn the monitors off after 15 minutes. When 15 minutes is up, the displays...
  8. TURN OFF THE ADAPTIVE DISPLAY SETTINGS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    TURN OFF THE ADAPTIVE DISPLAY SETTINGS.: Many of us are experiencing the screen dimming due to the adaptive display setting in windows 10. Rather than following complicate procedures aimed at disabling this option, I found that simply going into DEVICE MANAGER-->SENSORS-->AMBIENT LIGHT...
  9. turn off display option missing in system power settings

in Windows 10 Support
    turn off display option missing in system power settings: I just got my first laptop 2 days ago from HP. Already in hindsight, I kind of wish I hadn't because of the lame support options, but the laptop itself is just fine with excellent display & performance. The keyboard is nice but the backlighting at my preferred sitting angle...
  10. Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on: Hi I have set power saving for display to go to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity when plugged in. And after 3 minutes, display powers off. But then shortly after that it turns back on. And then later off again. I have newer timed this intervals for turning on and second...