Windows 10: Power Settings: PC shuts down when set to Sleep

Discus and support Power Settings: PC shuts down when set to Sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Since Windows installed v. 2004 this PC shuts off each time I close a program. It is set to Sleep. My settings are: Power and Sleep... SCREEN:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by klaro 1590, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Power Settings: PC shuts down when set to Sleep

Since Windows installed v. 2004 this PC shuts off each time I close a program. It is set to Sleep. My settings are:

Power and Sleep... SCREEN: turn off = NEVER

SLEEP: goes to sleep = NEVER

Additional Power Settings... Preferred Plans = ON Recommended Automatic Balanced Performance

No other selections made. Suddenly, under Create a Power Plan box it reads = My custom plan 4 ????

I did not make that custom plan 4 entry. Should it be selected?

I have not changed any Power/Sleep settings since installing Windows 10 a few years ago.

I have ever only used the Start screen menu buttons: Power - Sleep - Shut Down - Restart.

I want my PC to sleep when that Power option is pressed but it is shutting off instead after I close any window, forcing me to sign in each timethat's every few minutes.

Can anyone send clear, concise instructions about which settings I should use.

:)

klaro 1590, Jan 2, 2021

2. Power settings

Hello Cindy,

Let's determine the cause of the issue. To get started, please provide the following information:

• Do the power settings adjustments ever worked before?
    • Have you made any recent changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Meanwhile, let's run the Power Troubleshooter. This troubleshooter will automatically troubleshoots Windows power plans and detects your system settings that can affects power usage, such as timeout and sleep settings, and screensavers.
    To do so, please follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Select View by: Small icons.
    • Open Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security, run the Power Troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Furthermore, you may try creating a new power plan on the computer and check if it works.

For more information regarding sleep and other power options, you may check this article:
    Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Antoneth Ber, Jan 2, 2021
  3. MRK4047 Win User
    Windows 10 Sleep & Power Settings

Hi All,

I am having a continuous problem with my HP Envy Laptop. First my mouse would not bring the laptop out of sleep mode. I went back into the power/sleep settings tried to correct that issue. Now my mouse will bring the laptop back from sleep mode. At least
    I think it is sleep mode. However, when I shut down my laptop, the power light is still on and does not go off. I have to hold it down for a few seconds before it actually shuts down. Does any know the actual or proper settings fir the power/sleep modes
    for a laptop. In my research, they PC experts say not to put a laptop into hibernate mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set the power/sleep mode settings for this thing to perform correctly?

Thanks,

Mark

MRK4047, Jan 2, 2021
  4. Power Settings: PC shuts down when set to Sleep

Power settings(sleep, hibernate) do not work

my settings for sleep and hibernate are not working. The power does not shut off after 20 minutes as in settings Any help?

Moved from: MSN / Settings and personalization / Location settings / Windows 10

***Title modified from: power settings***

GeorgeNeedy, Jan 2, 2021
Thema:

Power Settings: PC shuts down when set to Sleep

1. Power Settings: PC shuts down when set to Sleep - Similar Threads - Power Settings shuts

2. PC shuts down when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC shuts down when put to sleep: Hello all,Whenever I try to put my PC to sleep, it seems to shut all the way down. But it turns back on when I move my mouse, I don't have to touch the power button, and I get a 'windows was not shut down correctly' error in Reliability History. I suspect it is corrupted...
  3. power and sleep settings

power and sleep settings: I have a Surface Pro 7. I have all four power settings set to 15 minutes. My screen still turns of after 1 minute. What am I missing? What else can I change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-and-sleep-settings/62217d41-6bea-4dda-953b-cbc41a78005b
  4. windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never

windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never: windows 10 shuts down despite power and sleep setting on never https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-shuts-down-despite-power-and-sleep/a08ed333-fbde-4142-a074-300de0b062ab
  5. PC shuts down when set to Sleep.

PC shuts down when set to Sleep.: This PC shuts down even though it is set to Sleep and must be signed in again each time Windows is re-opened. In Power and Sleep settings both Display are Sleep set at Never. who UNPLUGS their PC? In Additional Power Settings HP recommended Power Balance is set. Beneath...
  6. power sleep settings

power sleep settings: What is a recommended time to automatically set the computer to sleep. I don't want it to turn off while I'm using it but it would be reasonable to flicker off after a period of inactivity....
  7. Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead

Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead: I've seen this problem mentioned online by many other people and also have seen many solutions. I am running Windows 10 on an Acer laptop. The computer used to sleep properly but not now. Is there any way to diagnose the cause of the problem so that the solution can be...
  8. power & sleep settings

power & sleep settings: It is absolutely amazing that this question keeps getting asked over and over but never gets resolved. No matter what screen and sleep are set to, computer goes to sleep after one minute of inactivity when I have all four set to NEVER. Responders, no offense, but yes I've...
  9. Sleep and power settings

Sleep and power settings: after last windows up date I have no control over any other settings except for 1 hour for the monitor and 2 hours for the CPU and yes I did save the settings. Please help & thank you ....
  10. Power & Sleep Setting

Power & Sleep Setting: The Power and Sleep settings for both Screen and Sleep do not respond to the settings saved. After a minute or two the screen reverts back to my Lock Screen and I have to sign in again to continue working. This happens with either browsing or accessing a document and...