Windows 10: Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

Discus and support Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have the Power & Sleep setting configured for 2 hours, but the screen never turns off. I recently restarted the computer. Would that have changed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SweetTasha, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

I have the Power & Sleep setting configured for 2 hours, but the screen never turns off. I recently restarted the computer. Would that have changed the Power & Sleep settings?TIA for your help.SweetTasha.

:)

SweetTasha, Sep 1, 2021

2. Settings to configure power and sleep are not working

I set the setting for turning off the screen to 2 minutes and the screen never goes OFF, even overnight. I had a similar problem previously and changed the value in the power and sleep settings and in the sleep plan settings. That cleared the problem. Not
    this time.

TIA for your suggestions. .

SweetTasha, Sep 1, 2021
  3. AlistairJ Win User
    Lenovo Laptop - Windows 10 - Power and Sleep Settings Not Working

Despite selecting 'Never' for 'When plugged in, turn off after' for both 'Screen' and 'Sleep' within the 'Power and Sleep Settings' window--please see attached screen dump--and my laptop being plugged in, it still goes to sleep / shuts down after a short time of inactivity. Can any suggest why it is doing this and how to fix it?

AlistairJ, Sep 1, 2021
  4. AeroJ Win User

Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings

DESCRIPTION

Please advise, I am trying to solve this puzzle.. Basically screen wont always turn off according to the settings set in Power & sleep. Sleep, on the other hand, works.
    Sometimes monitor will turn off correctly after a set time, say if I set a minute or two just to test then it works. But 15 minutes never work. Sometimes if I change additional power settings back and forth it starts to work, but only until next restart.
    I can't find a solution nor cause of this problem. Windows 7 power settings worked correctly.

SYSTEM INFO

Windows 10 is cleanly installed on HDD in UEFI mode and I am using/testing it only for a few days yet. Slow ring updates. No additional USB devices are connected except keyboard and mouse. PC is quite new, Skylake based (i5 6600, Asus Z170M-PLUS, R9 390).

THINGS I HAVE TRIED AND RESULTS

• Clean boot and Safe mode - same.
    • Updating BIOS - same.
    • Disabling USB selective suspend - same.
    • Booting without mouse - same.
    • Testing for wake armed devices with powercfg and disabling LAN adapter wake - same.
    • Using USB 3 instead of USB 2 to connect mouse & keyboard - nothing.

"Some" results:

• Generating powercfg /energy report. Report shows error "USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend". Windows 7 did not show such error (hardware switch dual boot, easy to compare).
    • Disconnecting and reconnecting mouse while system is on - display turns off correctly after, but only until next restart..
    • Switching Power plans back and forth - again, starts to work, until next restart.

AeroJ, Sep 1, 2021
Thema:

Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working

1. Power & Sleep setting to turn off screen are not working - Similar Threads - Power Sleep setting

2. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  3. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  4. A bit confused by power settings, sleep vs screen on & off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    A bit confused by power settings, sleep vs screen on & off: Hello,I'm a bit confused as to how power settings work in Windows 10: I've included a screen shot to help illustrate my issue, which is very basic:Should I put the "Screen Turn Off" times earlier than the "Sleep" times? Essentially, I don't understand the order of what...
  5. My PC turns off the display sooner that it set. POWER AND SLEEP

My PC turns off the display sooner that it set. POWER AND SLEEP: Good Day I have encountered a problem whereby the display turns itself before the time it is set to do so. When this problem first occurred, I thought it was a quick fix solution as Screen Timeout is not really a major problem. I have done research about this particular...
  6. Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings

Laptop sleeps when display turns off, regardless of power settings: Hello - When my laptop display turns off after the number of minutes set in "When plugged in, turn off after" the computer goes to sleep even though it's not set to do so. It does not seem to matter what value is set for "When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after", the...
  7. What is difference in power options between turning off screen and sleep

What is difference in power options between turning off screen and sleep: Hello, While I understand the distinction between battery and plug, I don't, precisely, understand the difference between "Screen" and "Sleep." I would appreciate an explanation. I also have a pin on my laptop and am hoping that one of the -- either "Screen" or "Sleep" will...
  8. Power & Sleep settings, won't allow me to set a lesser time for Sleep than Turn Off!

Power & Sleep settings, won't allow me to set a lesser time for Sleep than Turn Off!: Sleep mode is supposed to happen before it Turns Off on my PC. But with the latest and greatest Windows 10 update, it's backwards. It only allows me to set a greater time for Turn Off than Sleep!...
  9. Power & Sleep Windows 10 (1903) setting for screen set to turn off after 1 hour. It's not....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power & Sleep Windows 10 (1903) setting for screen set to turn off after 1 hour. It's not....: submitted by /u/dnadosanddonts [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dwu163/power_sleep_windows_10_1903_setting_for_screen/
  10. Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen does not always turn off according to Power & sleep settings: DESCRIPTION Please advise, I am trying to solve this puzzle.. Basically screen wont always turn off according to the settings set in Power & sleep. Sleep, on the other hand, works. Sometimes monitor will turn off correctly after a set time, say if I set a minute or two...