Windows 10: Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire

Discus and support Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; On my laptop the power and sleep settings keep changing frequently. I am told that this happens every time new OS updates are pushed.If this is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jakati, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Jakati Win User

Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire

On my laptop the power and sleep settings keep changing frequently. I am told that this happens every time new OS updates are pushed.If this is the case, this is very dangerous. I have a tendency to sit on sofa and work. Once finished working, I keep the lid closed and keep the laptop on the sofa. In many occasions I have noticed that the laptop is still running and generating heat.After some time the sofa is so hot that the layer could melt and catch fire any time.In my view, personal settings should not be overwritten by OS updates.Can someone help me and let me know how do I prevent my sett

:)

Jakati, Feb 23, 2022

2. Sleep

Hi,

This may happen due to its power plan. A power plan is a collection of hardware and system settings that manages how computers use and conserve power. For this, we suggest that you reset and restore power plans to its default. kindly follow these steps:

• Open the Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Copy and paste the command below into the command prompt, and press
      Enter
      :
      • powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
    • Close the Command Prompt window, and then restart your PC to apply the changes.

After that, go to Power & sleep settings
    by typing it into the Windows Search. Check the When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after
    settings is set to Never.

Let us know if the steps above helped you to resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Feb 23, 2022
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Closing the lid will only enter into sleep by chance

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community Forums.

As per description, you are facing issue with the sleep mode.

I would suggest you to follow methods given below and check

Method 1:

Run Power Troubleshooter

I would suggest you to run power troubleshooter which will tell you if there is something wrong with the power settings.

Follow these steps to run power troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + X key and Select Control Panel
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View All on the top left corner.
    • Run Power troubleshooter.
    If issue still persists try method 2.

Method 2:

Follow these steps check the Power Options settings. You can set them to default and check.

a. Press Windows key + X

b. Select Power Options.

c. Check if the preferred plan is Balanced.

d. Click on Change when the computer sleeps and select
    Restore Default settings for this plan.

If issue didn’t get resolve try method 3.

Method 3: Create a power plan

• Press Windows key + X

• Select Power Options.

• Click where it says "Create a power plan" in the area on the left side of the Power options window.

• Select a power plan to start with such as
      "Balanced" or "High performance" and then click "Next."

• Select a number of minutes you want both the display and the computer sleep mode, and then click "Create."
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arul_D, Feb 23, 2022
  4. Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire

Windows 10 Home Edition - Power settings reset with every Windows update

Thank you for the information. To further isolate the issue, we suggest checking the
    Additional power settings through Settings >
    System
    > Power & Sleep. Follow the steps below:

• Click the option Change when the computer sleeps located at the left side of the window and check if the option
      Put the computer to sleep is set to Never.
    • Click on the Change advanced power settings.
    • Expand the Sleep option and make sure that Sleep after,
      Allow hybrid sleep, Hibernate after is set to
      , Off, Never.

Update us on the result.

Radney Dri, Feb 23, 2022
Thema:

Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire

1. Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire - Similar Threads - Power Sleep settings

2. Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire: On my laptop the power and sleep settings keep changing frequently. I am told that this happens every time new OS updates are pushed.If this is the case, this is very dangerous. I have a tendency to sit on sofa and work. Once finished working, I keep the lid closed and keep...
  3. Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power & Sleep settings get reset frequently - Chances of overheating and fire: On my laptop the power and sleep settings keep changing frequently. I am told that this happens every time new OS updates are pushed.If this is the case, this is very dangerous. I have a tendency to sit on sofa and work. Once finished working, I keep the lid closed and keep...
  4. power and sleep settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power and sleep settings: I have a Surface Pro 7. I have all four power settings set to 15 minutes. My screen still turns of after 1 minute. What am I missing? What else can I change? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-and-sleep-settings/62217d41-6bea-4dda-953b-cbc41a78005b
  5. Power Settings timers for sleep keep resetting

Power Settings timers for sleep keep resetting: I seem to have a similar problem, but a little different from a very common power plan issue. I have an AMD Ryzen 3600 on a X570 chipset mobo non Intel CPU. I like to set my power plan to put my PC to sleep after 45 minutes of inactivity. I have modified ALL of the existing...
  6. Why overheating even though laptop power setting is set to sleep?

Why overheating even though laptop power setting is set to sleep?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro v.2004 OS Build 19041.264 on a laptop. The power settings are for the screen to turn off after 10 minutes and the laptop to go to sleep after three hours. The laptop is always plugged in. Hard Disk Sentinel is set to give me alerts that the laptop...
  7. power & sleep settings

power & sleep settings: It is absolutely amazing that this question keeps getting asked over and over but never gets resolved. No matter what screen and sleep are set to, computer goes to sleep after one minute of inactivity when I have all four set to NEVER. Responders, no offense, but yes I've...
  8. Sleep and power settings

Sleep and power settings: after last windows up date I have no control over any other settings except for 1 hour for the monitor and 2 hours for the CPU and yes I did save the settings. Please help & thank you ....
  9. Power & Sleep Setting

Power & Sleep Setting: The Power and Sleep settings for both Screen and Sleep do not respond to the settings saved. After a minute or two the screen reverts back to my Lock Screen and I have to sign in again to continue working. This happens with either browsing or accessing a document and...
  10. Android tablet overheating & fire concern.

in Windows 10 Support
    Android tablet overheating & fire concern.: Android tablet overheating & fire concern. I upload a photo. This happen when I plugged in the charger to keep using it because the battery was getting low. The screen got very hot. I have done this plenty of times before without issue. It could be on its last leg. After...