Windows 10: Power State Failure

Discus and support Power State Failure in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am trying to fix a computer for the neighbors kid. It will not boot up at all. Here is what I have tried so far. 1. Repair the disk. It took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Mike71, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Mike71 Win User

Power State Failure

I am trying to fix a computer for the neighbors kid. It will not boot up at all. Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Repair the disk. It took several hours and failed at the end.

2. Restore from a backup. Same as above. Failed at the end

3. Reset PC (keeping files and erasing everything) no luck with either

4. Get to the command prompt and do a chkdsk . When i hit enter I received a message "The File Type is NTFS" and nothing happened.

5. Boot into safe mode. Once it reboots and I get to the screen with 9 selections. Whatever I select it reboots and does nothing. The screen is on like its loading but it never loads.

The error on the BSOD I get sometimes says its a Power State Failure. Could the Hard Drive be messed up too? I am not sure what to do next?

:)

Mike71, Apr 13, 2017

2. Power state failure

Hello Eko,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

In order to diagnose the issue, I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if the issue persists.

Method 1:

Run Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a. Press
    Windows + W key on the keyboard.

b. Type
    troubleshooting in the search tab and press ENTER.

c. Click
    View all on left panel.

d. Click
    Power, new window will popup.

e. Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: Update Drivers

Refer to the following article and update all the drivers available.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

Method 3:

Install drivers in compatibility mode with Windows 8.1.

Firstly download the driver from your computer's manufacturer website and then install it.

Refer (Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Note: This link also applies to Windows 10.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Harkanwar Singh, Apr 13, 2017
  3. ekoJin Win User
    Power state failure

Hello,

I'm having a big problem with my computer. Bot win 8.1 and win 10 are crashing due to power state failure.

Code:
    On Sun 2015-08-02 17:34:58 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080215-5312-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14D220) 

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE000C8F53060, 0xFFFFF8014B62A990, 0xFFFFE000C9BF7A10)

Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

On Sun 2015-08-02 17:34:58 GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0) 

Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFE000C8F53060, 0xFFFFF8014B62A990, 0xFFFFE000C9BF7A10)

Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

This is my "whocrashed" log.

This is my log files:

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

What is more I've got a problem for a while (with both 8.1 and 10) with nvidia drivers. If it's installed then my computer wont start corectly in most cases. I need to do restarts like 5-10 times before i get to log on screen.

I'm using custom made laptop. 1 year it was working perfectly with the same win8.1. I've tried reinstalling drivers, windows, tired different graphics card drivers versions.

GPU - Nvidia 850M

Regards,

Justas

Edit:

I'm off nvidia drivers and I've got this:

Video sheduler internal error

ekoJin, Apr 13, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Power State Failure

Power State Failure [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat.
    If errors show up and you see them a lot later, no problem, the errors don't affect the test.

5. Mike71 Win User
    How do I run it? The computer will not boot up? I am not familiar with Windows 10.

Mike71, Apr 14, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    It's all in the tutorial link you were given MemTest86+ - Test RAM

Basically you make a bootable USB for memtest86 and boot from that. No Windows 10 needed...

7. Mike71 Win User
    Got it. Thank you. I will try that this weekend and see what happens.

Mike71, Apr 14, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

Power State Failure

For a next time, it is recommended to read the suggestion first before asking questions. At this forum the suggestions answer 99% of all questions.

9. swarfega Win User
    Have you given the motherboard a visual inspection for damage such as blown capacitors etc?

swarfega, Apr 14, 2017
  10. Mike71 Win User
    No. It's the kid next door's computer. All I have done is try all the stuff in the first post. I have not taken it apart. I'm sure that it's possible it could of been dropped etc. Or maybe a bad memory stick. He did tell me he was downloading some mods for some game the last time he used it. Not sure if he downloaded something that messed it up either. The last Windows computer I owned was 10 years ago so alot has changed since then. .

Mike71, Apr 14, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Apr 14, 2017
  12. Mike71 Win User
    I put Memtest on a USB drive. I went into Bios and under "Boot" there was a boot order list. I moved "USB HDD" to the top of the list. Hit "Save and Exit". It rebooted and it tried to boot up like normal. Nothing was different. I tried two different USB ports too.

Mike71, Apr 15, 2017
  13. axe0 New Member

Power State Failure

No need to change the boot order. You only need to select it from the boot list (not the BIOS)

14. Mike71 Win User
    Thank you. And this is in the UEFI settings? This is where I changed the boot order.

Mike71, Apr 15, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    This tutorial may help, but note that...
    Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC

Thema:

Power State Failure

1. Power State Failure - Similar Threads - Power State Failure

2. Driver power state failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver power state failure: Hello! I'm here to ask for help about the BSOD, it always shows when I multi task like while I play and open my chrome it will surely popped out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-power-state-failure/c7830252-5196-4c61-9123-887ce16690b2
  3. Driver Power State Failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Driver Power State Failure: Hello!In the last few weeks, my Dell G3 started to present this error almost daily. I am using Windows 11 and already updated all the drivers. Also, i have installed the latest updates from both Dell and Windows 11. What could i do?Thanks!...
  4. Driver Power State Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Driver Power State Failure: Hello, can anyone analyze this dump file so that I can know what device driver is causing the error. I will really appreciate it. Thank you!https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PVvntlCedKijkgJqamI8t2hQbG1eab45?usp=sharing...
  5. Driver Power State Failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Driver Power State Failure: I keep getting this blue screen issue as a regular occurrence when I leave my computer to sleep then return later. After around 10 seconds of operating, the blue screen appears and restarts my PC. Anyone know a fix for this? Thanks submitted by /u/DrivenMuffin [link]...
  6. Driver State Power Failure

Driver State Power Failure: I have recently upgraded my pc and I haven't finished yet and ever since I first run it's been lagging on every I do, watching videos and the sound lags with it, playing games, everything lags and its more or less unusable even if I try installing and uninstalling it will...
  7. Power state failure

Power state failure: Hi everyone, I built my first pc 4 months ago, and it works well. But there is this issue that annoys me a lot. Whenever I turn my system on, everything goes well for 5 minutes and the it shows me the blue death screen with a power state failure message, and restart the...
  8. Power state failure

Power state failure: Hi there new to all this, I am experiencing a problem I'm having with my all in one Acer aspire z computer. This is what's happening When I turn my computer on then it loads up all normal so then it asks for my password which I put in then all is loaded after 2 minutes or...
  9. power state driver failure

power state driver failure: Hello, my BSOD only appears while gaming online. I don't really have any other information than the BSOD does state that it is a power state driver failure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 40574
  10. Driver State Power Failure

Driver State Power Failure: After I received this message, Windows restarted the computer and I haven't had problems since. Not sure what information would be relevant but would appreciate any help. 69827