Windows 10: Power supply problem

Discus and support Power supply problem in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently got a new PSU as my other one blew up. However I seem to be having problems with my new one, where my PC will turn on, Windows will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mitchell, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Mitchell Win User

Power supply problem

Hi,
    I recently got a new PSU as my other one blew up.

However I seem to be having problems with my new one, where my PC will turn on, Windows will be laggy for about 5 minutes and then computer just shuts itself off.

I turn the PC back on, and it barley makes it to the Windows loading screen before it turns off.

If I leave it for a bit, I can get it to the laggy Windows for about 5 minutes before it shuts off.

What could be wrong? Faulty PSU?

:)

Mitchell, Jun 4, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Power

This problem is typically caused by a failing power supply. Typically, but not always. A professional technician can test the computer's power supply to find out if it needs to be replaced. If so, replacement power supplies are inexpensive.

BulldogXX, Jun 4, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Computer keeps shutting down

If 'shutting down' means that your computer is powered off, that's a hardware problem, most likely with the power supply unit. A professional technician can test your power supply unit to pinpoint the problem.

BulldogXX, Jun 4, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Power supply problem

Whats the make, model and wattage of the new PSU? Please complete your system info section for this forum so we can better help you. You can install a program called Speccy to help if your not sure.

swarfega, Jun 4, 2016
  5. Mitchell Win User
    I don't know if I'm going to be able to do that, since my brother upgraded this PC with spare parts from his old computer, and the PC won't stay on log enough for speccy to run.

The computer was 100% fine until the power supply blew up

Mitchell, Jun 5, 2016
  6. Bat 1 Win User
    Really sounds like the new PSU just doesn't have enough Wattage . Seriously advise Not to run it until You get another one. If You post the specs someone can help You figure out just how powerful a PSU You need.

Bat 1, Jun 5, 2016
  7. Mitchell Win User
    Oh, it looks like i updated the Specs to what i have now, in seven forum (I thought i didn't)

I have updated my specs now.

the new power supply is a Corsair VS450 ATX Power Supply

Like i said computer can work at a slow pace for approx 5mins then turn off. If you want to turn it on straight away it will power off after about 2 secs. Give it about 5 or 10mins and you can have about 5mins of usage

Mitchell, Jun 5, 2016
  8. bobkn Win User

Power supply problem

Is the CPU fan working properly? Sounds like a heat issue.

There's always a chance that the old PSU did some damage when it blew.

Years ago, the PSU failed on a Dell PC that I had handed down to my nephew. He told me that it had been repaired. It turns out that "repaired" meant that the shop had basically built a new PC for him. They had saved the RAM and the graphics card. Not quite like saving the hubcaps from a wrecked car; maybe wheels, tires, and exhaust system.

I hope that your luck is better than that.

bobkn, Jun 5, 2016
  9. Bat 1 Win User
    The VS450 shouldn't have any problems handling the load if its good. You weren't by any chance running the Rig Overclocked before blowing the PSU ??
    Added: Should have also asked what type of CPU cooler You have as well as if You know what thermal paste was used ?

Bat 1, Jun 5, 2016
  10. Mitchell Win User
    PC wasn't over clocked, it was just about a 6 year old PSU and decided to blow up.

No Idea what type of thermal paste was use.
    I think we just have a standard fan that sits on top of the CPU, and just another fan that cools the whole system down.
    Never had trouble with it before.

Mitchell, Jun 5, 2016
  11. Kyhi Win User
    PSU's do not just blow up - they just fade away or short out and spark away....

12. CountMike New Member
    You haven't seen that one LC-Power that blew up in my face once, it wasn't even connected to a computer, I was going to use it as power supply for security cameras. Only plugged it to mains nothing else connected.
    Once PSU noticeably fail, with smoke or sparks, odds are it damaged MB or some other parts.

CountMike, Jun 5, 2016
  13. Bat 1 Win User

Power supply problem

Borrowing a PSU and trying that first would be a lot easier than trying to do that with a CPU. If You still have the problem then applying new "Artic Silver" thermal paste between the CPU and heat-sink would be next. Just be careful as I've seen more problems caused by too much thermal paste versus too little.

As posted above it very possible that You have component damage that happened when the PSU blew. I personally never had one go up in flames, but I've seen a lot of them Smoke. One time a less than 6 Month old HP desktop blew the PSU and killed the CPU, HDD and Optical Drive. I refused to send it back with the HDD and HP refused to accept it without.*Mad

Bat 1, Jun 5, 2016
  14. Mitchell Win User
    Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts to test, but it looks like my CPU or motherboard?

Mitchell, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Power supply problem

1. Power supply problem - Similar Threads - Power supply problem

2. Power supply problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power supply problem: I get Bsod everyday but i dont get them much i only get bsod like 2-3 times and my pc will work fine,my drivers are all up to date and so is my bios ,my hardware is good but my Power suppy is 4 years and gonna be 5 this april,should i buy a new power supply because i kinda...
  3. Power supply problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power supply problem: I get Bsod everyday but i dont get them much i only get bsod like 2-3 times and my pc will work fine,my drivers are all up to date and so is my bios ,my hardware is good but my Power suppy is 4 years and gonna be 5 this april,should i buy a new power supply because i kinda...
  4. Power supply problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Power supply

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  6. Power supply

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power supply: Hello. I recently purchased a Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. This is an upgrade from my Microsoft Surface Pro 4. In addition to the power supply that came with the Laptop Studio, am I able to use the power cord that came with Microsoft Surface Pro 4, or perhaps the...
  7. Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage

in Windows 10 News
    Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage: [ATTACH]When it comes to PC building, one of the most important components is the […] This article Power Supply Calculator to calculate the Power Supply Wattage first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Possible Power Supply Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Possible Power Supply Problem: Hello, I recently made another post about my computer randomly crashing all new parts....
  9. ATX power supply

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ATX power supply: Hey, I have a ATX powersuply, that making a "tiking" sound i can't lacate what it is. my first though was capacitor. and maybe not. The weird this is it's only sometimes when i power on the computer. any wise ideas? 141087
  10. Power Supply Blew

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power Supply Blew: Yesterday a resounding SNAP sound blasted out of the desktop and all response instantly died. The monitor still had powe rbut no video image. Immediately to the repair shop for a new power supply but that did not produce a video response and an alternate video card was no...