Windows 10: Power Usage of PC: How To Reduce It?

Discus and support Power Usage of PC: How To Reduce It? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi guys, I need the advice from the computer experts on tenforums.com! My PC runs 24/7 and recently my electricity bill has gone up so I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NiceAndShy, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Power Usage of PC: How To Reduce It?

Hi guys,

I need the advice from the computer experts on tenforums.com!

My PC runs 24/7 and recently my electricity bill has gone up so I want to reduce the power usage of my PC.

For example, how can I reduce the power that my graphics card needs to operate?

Thank you!

:)

NiceAndShy, Jun 25, 2017
  2. blitzkid Win User

Nokia 500 Belle - Fast Battery swallow Problem

In general, the battery usage seems to be more or less the same. I used to get twenty four hours from Anna as I'm a heavy user with power save on. Now I get same twenty four hours from belle without power save on but usage has reduced slightly.

blitzkid, Jun 25, 2017
  3. Consecutive monthly warnings from my Internet provider concerning "DATA USAGE"!!!

So, are you asking how to control/reduce data usage?

Don

Don Varnau, Jun 25, 2017
  4. Power Usage of PC: How To Reduce It?

You can underclock components like CPU, GPU, RAM, etc, as desired.

You can use power management to set maximum CPU/GPU frequency.

TairikuOkami, Jun 25, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    First, get a killawatt meter and measure what your PC is actually pulling. It might not be the culprit for your electricity spike.

pparks1, Jun 26, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Why is your PC on 24/7? I turn mine off and switch it off at the mains when not in use. Any electrical appliance left on when not needed is a fire risk as any fireman will tell you.

Steve C, Jun 26, 2017
  7. Running PC 24/7 prolongs its life, besides he is probably using it like a server, for torrenting or etc.

Considering, he is mentioning GPU, he might be even looking for a cure for the cancer. *Smile

TairikuOkami, Jun 26, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Power Usage of PC: How To Reduce It?

I switch my PC off every day and I've never had a hardware failure. You will certainly have a PC failure if it catches fire and burns the house down due to being left on whilst you are away.

NiceAndShy uses torrenting? I don't think so have replied to various of his/her posts.

Steve C, Jun 26, 2017
  9. If you have got some no-name brands components, it definitely will, otherwise it is pretty impossible. Most people buy high-end components, but the cheapest PSU, like 1000W for $20, which is the main reason of fires. Computer components are made to withstand temperatures above 100C and PC will shutdown itself before reaching those. Good quality PSU and surge protection take care of any electrical failure.

TairikuOkami, Jun 26, 2017
  10. pparks1 Win User
    It is relatively safe to leave a pc running 24 hours per day. It's also arguable that leaving it running 24x7 is easier on the hardware as you aren't heating and cooling the mobo and components regularly, and you aren't allowing mechanical hard drives to spin down. However, home computers are engineered to withstand turning on and off repeatedly, in fact it's expected. So, you likely aren't going to have problems if you power off and on each day.

pparks1, Jun 26, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    You could make a new Power plan or adjust present one to reflect system load and it can significantly lower power consumption in (near)idle states.

CountMike, Jun 27, 2017
  12. I just checked in "Power Options" and I don't see how to change the GPU frequency?

Thanks!

NiceAndShy, Jun 30, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

That would be in GPU's drivers.

CountMike, Jun 30, 2017
  14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Leaving a PC on 24/7 at 50 degrees Celcius will limit its useful life cycle to about 36 months for most commercial MBs.
    Some manufacturers offer MB's (Industrial grade) that are designed to run 24/7 but these aren't exactly cheap.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jun 30, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    Never had any component die because of that.

CountMike, Jun 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Power Usage of PC: How To Reduce It? - Similar Threads - Power Usage Reduce

2. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce memory usage in task manager .: i would like to reduce my memory usage . i tried disabling some services like background intelligent transfer service , sysmain , window search . i did disabled some startup app in taskmanager.my window 11 is up to date for patches . its current in...
  3. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce memory usage in task manager .: i would like to reduce my memory usage . i tried disabling some services like background intelligent transfer service , sysmain , window search . i did disabled some startup app in taskmanager.my window 11 is up to date for patches . its current in...
  4. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to reduce memory usage in task manager .

6. How can I reduce cpu usage on OneNote?

How can I reduce cpu usage on OneNote?: OneNote is using 100% cpu when taking notes through stylus ever since the windows 11 update came out. I didn't update right away and this is when it all started. It continues even after I updated though. When I am writing on my laptop with a stylus it slows OneNote...
  7. How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser: Technically Chrome uses a lot of RAM and bandwidth compared to other browsers. As I have a lot of tabs opened in a single window , how can I still reduce the RAM usage without deleting the tabs. I have posted a question and tried to provide innovative solution to google...
  8. How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser

How to reduce the RAM and bandwidth usage of Chrome browser: Technically Chrome uses a lot of RAM and bandwidth compared to other browsers. As I have a lot of tabs opened in a single window , how can I still reduce the RAM usage without deleting the tabs. I have posted a question and tried to provide innovative solution to google...
  9. How do I reduce disk usage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I reduce disk usage?: [ATTACH] Windows10 has trouble updating as it tells me I need to reduce hard disk space usage. How can I do that when almost all of the space consumed is by system and reserved windows files? I have removed all other programs that are not critical to me....
  10. How to lower the power usage?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to lower the power usage?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/BogdanSpagheta [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eesin4/how_to_lower_the_power_usage/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 24/7 reduce power usage