Windows 10: PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media"

Discus and support PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm a Office 365 Power user and have been creating .pptx presentations for a long time - often with embedded video. Today I pulled up a .pptx I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MattMcLelland, Mar 25, 2020.

1. PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media"

I'm a Office 365 Power user and have been creating .pptx presentations for a long time - often with embedded video. Today I pulled up a .pptx I created last year and the video won't play - I get a very quick "unable to play media" at the bottom of the window. Here's what doesn't make sense:

1. The same .pptx with embedded video works just fine on my work laptop, which also runs O365 so it's not the file
    2. Running the latest version of Windows 10 all updates and O365 all updates
    3. The video file, outside of the .pptx, runs fine using the VLC media player and VidCoder
    4. Have completed an Office Repair advanced
    5. Have uninstalled / reinstalled Windows Media components: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/12fc20c5-2cce-48b6-81b5-dec0a1afaf5a
    6. Have tried to create a brand new .pptx using a fully supported .mp4 / H264 file - still get "unable to play media" message
    7. Did a virtual session with Microsoft support - tried all kinds of things but representative eventually gave up and told me to call the windows team
    8. Deleted all files in %temp%

This worked just a few weeks ago - I'm thinking before the last windows update. I really hope someone has an idea - I'm coming up with nothing on Google searches, etc. Have spent over 4 hours on this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Moved from: PowerPoint / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

:)

MattMcLelland, Mar 25, 2020
  2. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media" :)

jaydeee, Mar 25, 2020
  3. MEDIA PLAYER- unable to play or rip cd's

Hi Christine,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with the issue.

• Did you check if you are able to play using other CD'S?
    • What is the exact error message or code you receive when you try to play the cd or try to Rip?

For now let's try the below steps and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to check if the rip settings are set correctly as mentioned in this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/change-settings-for-ripping-music

Method 2:

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Windows Media player and check if the issue persists. Refer to these steps to uninstall and reinstall Windows Media player:

• Press Window key + F, select “Settings’ tab below the search box.
    • Type “Turn Windows features ON or OFF” and click on the tile with the same name.
    • Now, expand the “Media features” and uncheck the box against “Windows Media player”.
    • Restart the computer.
    • Now follow the same steps and check the box against “Windows Media player” and
      restart the computer to reinstall.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope it helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 25, 2020
  4. PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media"

Unable to play DVDs on Windows Media Player, Windows 10

Hi Alison,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you try to play DVDs on Windows Media Player?
    • Are the DVDs being detected on your computer?

I suggest you to run Windows Media Player DVD troubleshooter.

Windows Media Player DVD troubleshooter find and fix problems with playing DVDs in Windows Media Player.

Steps:

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooting
      and select it.
    • Click on View all in the left pane.
    • Click onWindows Media Player DVD and follow the onscreen instructions.
    Also refer to the Microsoft article to know more about: Windows
    Media Player

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media"

1. PowerPoint O365 - "unable to play media" - Similar Threads - PowerPoint O365 unable

2. Unable to Open PowerPoint Presentations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Open PowerPoint Presentations: Hi, I'm having trouble opening PowerPoint presentations on my Windows 11 laptop. Whenever I try to open a PowerPoint file, I receive an error message saying "PowerPoint couldn't read the file." This happens with all PowerPoint files, including ones that I've been able to open...
  3. UNABLE TO PLAY MEDIA CONTENT SOFTWARE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UNABLE TO PLAY MEDIA CONTENT SOFTWARE: HiI am using MacBook Air and I have installed windows 10 in it using BootcampI am using a software called Ott player in it but I encountered an error "Media player cannot run in virtual machine/virtual mode"This software is running on another system perfectly but not in...
  4. UNABLE TO PLAY MEDIA CONTENT SOFTWARE

UNABLE TO PLAY MEDIA CONTENT SOFTWARE: HiI am using MacBook Air and I have installed windows 10 in it using BootcampI am using a software called Ott player in it but I encountered an error "Media player cannot run in virtual machine/virtual mode"This software is running on another system perfectly but not in...
  5. UNABLE TO PLAY MEDIA CONTENT SOFTWARE

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Unable to access Word or PowerPoint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Word or PowerPoint: Hi, I keep being unable to open PowerPoint or Word as this message comes up, is there a way of fixing this?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-word-or-powerpoint/db644509-a5d7-4e63-af39-4dcf38c8cda8
  7. Unable to access Word or PowerPoint

Unable to access Word or PowerPoint: Hi, I keep being unable to open PowerPoint or Word as this message comes up, is there a way of fixing this?Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-word-or-powerpoint/db644509-a5d7-4e63-af39-4dcf38c8cda8
  8. My PowerPoint slideshow will not play.

My PowerPoint slideshow will not play.: It is pictures only for a funeral. I don't have a customized anything, just fade in. I want to put it on a loop to play over and over again. Help!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-powerpoint-slideshow-will-not-play/7aaeaa4e-45ad-4634-9653-1412934c8585
  9. O365 home to O365 business

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    O365 home to O365 business: Hi, I have used the Office 365 Home free trial on my Windows 10. After I have tried the Office 365 for Business free trial and bought the licenses. Currently I can't switch my home to business account to activate the Windows. Can you help me?...
  10. Embedded video not playing in PowerPoint

Embedded video not playing in PowerPoint: I cannot play an embedded .mp4 video in PowerPoint on one of my computers, but it plays perfectly on another computer. The video is present on both computers and I embedded it in PP on each computer. I'm using PP 365. Is this a codec issue?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to play media in powerpoint web version