Windows 10: PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes

Discus and support PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft announced the next version of PowerShell Core this week. The next version will be PowerShell 7 and not PowerShell Core 6.3 as many expected.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 7, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes

Microsoft announced the next version of PowerShell Core this week. The next version will be PowerShell 7 and not PowerShell Core 6.3 as many expected. It signals a significant change in the development of PowerPoint as Microsoft makes another important step in replacing the trusted PowerShell 5.1 on Windows with PowerShell Core.

Tip: Check out our PowerShell vs. PowerShell Core comparison to find out how the two differ from one another.

PowerShell Core usage increased significantly in the past two years especially on Linux platforms. Windows usage has stagnated on the other hand for the most part. Microsoft explains the lack of progress on the Windows platform with the existence of PowerShell 5.1 which offers functionality that PowerShell Core does not support.

Organizations and users on Windows rely on functions that PowerShell Core does not support, and that is the main reason why usage on Windows stagnates while it lifted off on Linux.

PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes powershell-7.png

Microsoft devised a plan to change that, and PowerShell 7 is the key to the plan's success. PowerShell 7 is based on .NET Core 3.0 which means that compatibility with Windows PowerShell modules increases to over 90%.

PowerShell 7 will ship with Windows eventually; first, as a side-by-side feature with Windows PowerShell 5.1 so that users and administrators may use both versions of PowerShell on the same machine.

Microsoft expects the release to become available around May 2019. It depends on the general availability of .NET Core 3.0 and will be released shortly after the release of .NET Core 3.0.

Since PowerShell 7 is aligned with the .NET Core timeline, we expect the generally available (GA) release to be some time after the GA of .NET Core 3.0.

PowerShell 7 will move from a Microsoft Modern Lifecycle Policy to one that is more aligned with the .NET Core support lifecycle policy. One of the major improvements that comes out of the change is that PowerShell 7 will feature Long Term Service and non-Long Term Service releases.

Microsoft did not reveal how it plans to distribute PowerShell 7 on Windows. The most likely explanation is that it will be added as an optional feature first that needs to be installed separately to become available.

Plans to replace PowerShell 5.1 with future versions of PowerShell (Core) were not revealed but it seems likely that Microsoft will make a switch eventually to distribute PowerShell (Core) with Windows and make PowerShell 5.1 an optional component.

Now You: do you use PowerShell?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 7, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

PowerShell Core Question

PowerShell Core installs side by side with Powershell on Windows, and is officially supported on the following platforms in all Editions (Home, Pro, Enterprise):

Windows 7, 8.1, and 10

Another great plus is that Powershell Core is cross platform . . .

DaveM121, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Cross platform play

So I've been playing a lot of fortnite lately and was wondering if cross platform was possible with PC. I've seen that PS4 and PC can play together but Xbox can't cross play with anyone. Is there a way that I just don't know about?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

FurballMAN44, Apr 7, 2019
  4. PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes

Minecraft cross platform

Is the cross platform now available for Minecraft windows ten and xbox one? if so is it as simple as putting minecraft on my computer and signing in with xbox live?

Moved fromPowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes :( Windows / Windows 10 / Microsoft Store )

NickGiordano1, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes

1. PowerShell 7 announced: cross-platform, new lifecycle, Windows changes - Similar Threads - PowerShell announced cross

2. Cross-Platform Extras/Collectibles

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cross-Platform Extras/Collectibles: Hi there,I would like to ask if it is possible to buy extras/collectibles on the Microsoft-Store for a game that you bought on another platform, like Steam?In my case, I would like to buy two collectibles for a game called “Little Nightmares 1” that I bought previously on...
  3. Minecraft Cross Platform

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft Cross Platform: Hello I am having an issue where my friend and I have friended each other on the Minecraft Windows 10 edition, however he is playing on PS4 and I am playing on PC, while another friend of mine is also playing on PS4. The issue is that I cannot find the world, whenever I...
  4. Store cross platforming

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Store cross platforming: Hey. If I buy a game on my laptop for $50 dollars, do I have to pay for it again to play the game with the same account on another device? If it help, I'm wishing to buy Sea of Theives Thanks....
  5. Cross platform

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cross platform: It is not letting me play with a ps4 player https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cross-platform/b3c075e5-13ad-41ae-80ef-a5e9f995a827
  6. minecraft cross platform

in Windows 10 Gaming
    minecraft cross platform: when i hit find cross platform friends it says you cant add friends bc of how your microsoft account is set up how do i fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/minecraft-cross-platform/3bfc842e-4e17-4a1c-a03c-4bdf796361dd
  7. Minecraft cross-platform

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft cross-platform: I am trying to join my friends who are on various platforms on minecraft but an error message pops up reading: 'You cannot play online multiplayer because of how your Microsoft account is set up. Review and change your privacy settings at aka.ms/accountsettings' I have been...
  8. PS4 cross platform account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PS4 cross platform account: I am wondering when someone is going to get on top of this issue with the microsoft accounts not working for PS4. I've been trying for weeks to log in, and it always says failed to login. I feel as if this is unfair towards players on the PlayStation platform because nothing...
  9. PS4 cross platform account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PS4 cross platform account: I am wondering when someone is going to get on top of this issue with the microsoft accounts not working for PS4. I've been trying for weeks to log in, and it always says failed to login. I feel as if this is unfair towards players on the PlayStation platform because nothing...
  10. cross-platform play questions

in Windows 10 Support
    cross-platform play questions: I do not own an Xbox one or an Xbox 360, but my friend has an Xbox 360 and I have a windows 10 gaming PC. I was able to add him as a friend and send messages, but I see that a number of games do not show up in the windows 10 or Xbox one section of the store through the Xbox...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. chakracore vs v8

2. v8 vs chakracore