Windows 10: Powershell command file to automatically list file/folder names

Discus and support Powershell command file to automatically list file/folder names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used "dir /b > file.txt" in a shift+right-click command prompt window to get the result I needed. Now, shift+right-click only shows the option for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReleaseTheKrkn, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Powershell command file to automatically list file/folder names

I used "dir /b > file.txt" in a shift+right-click command prompt window to get the result I needed. Now, shift+right-click only shows the option for Powershell. I don't necessarily want to edit the registry to change that so I'm trying to adapt. In Powershell, using the command "ls | % Name file.txt" does the trick but there's two things I want to be able to do...

1) Double-click a single command file to run the script and automatically generate the text file I need
    2) Have the script ignore the "file.txt" and the command file itself (because it adds "file.txt" to the list, which I don't need)

I have tried making a .ps1 file but my knowledge is very limited on using Powershell and I can't get it work exactly how I need. I don't need anything from the list other than the file/folder name itself (no properties such as size, type, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

ReleaseTheKrkn, Mar 6, 2021
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 6, 2021
  3. White Win User
    List file names than a folder.

Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder?
    If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Please.

White, Mar 6, 2021
  4. dark2099 Win User

Powershell command file to automatically list file/folder names

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Mar 6, 2021
Thema:

Powershell command file to automatically list file/folder names

1. Powershell command file to automatically list file/folder names - Similar Threads - Powershell command file

2. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  3. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  4. Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.: I have a folder with thousands of files with in it. I have been trying to run various batch commands on the files within this folder, however some of these files have " and ' within their filename. Is there some way to either eliminate the problem characters from within the...
  5. File folder name

File folder name: When I'm trying to type a name into a new file, it will stop me after so many characters. What is going on? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-name/87c6a0f0-b69b-4506-ac4f-3d340bdc3f21
  6. File Listing in Folders

File Listing in Folders: Why does Windows 10 Explorer not display ALL of the files in a designated folder? I have an App Finale Print Music 2014 that I used to create new music encryptions; then saved to a designated folder. Then I call up Win Ex that folder, but the new entry may or not appear. I...
  7. List folder files.

List folder files.: How can I fall in love with all the files in a folder starting from 1 to the number of files that the folder contains. It could be some .bat or some advice thanks 164506
  8. List file names than a folder.

List file names than a folder.: Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder? If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance. Please. 162655
  9. Automatic File Naming

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic File Naming: I have to save a lot of images from a browser daily and I usually do that by dragging the image from the browser to a folder. The image automatically gets a name that consists of random numbers and letters. Can I somehow make new files acquire a sequential name? So if I have...
  10. Changing File name with PowerShell

Changing File name with PowerShell: Hello everyone, I am rookie in a power shell, and I will be grateful for some help. I was trying to rename the suffix of filename, but it didn't go very well. Name of my file is: "hello.txt.abcdefg" I want to rename it into "hello.txt". I already tryed something like this:...