Windows 10: Powershell displays different folder names than GUI

Discus and support Powershell displays different folder names than GUI in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have just installed Windows 10 and the following problem occured: Ihave set Polish language as the language of the OS but when I am trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MateuszJ, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MateuszJ Win User

Powershell displays different folder names than GUI

Hi,
    I have just installed Windows 10 and the following problem occured:

Ihave set Polish language as the language of the OS but when I am trying to view my files in Powershell the default folders (Users, Pictures, etc.) are all in English (while in GUI I can see only Polish names). Why is that?

Thanks for help,
    Mateusz

:)

MateuszJ, Aug 16, 2016
  2. thankbe Win User

Internet Explorer 11 is not working on Windows 10 ....

Thanks for the reply Robert. I can open the folders. So i don't think its the problem with the explorer.exe. Anyway I executed the above command in PowerShell. No difference. Any other idea guys?

Thanks

thankbe, Aug 16, 2016
  3. zedqed Win User
    Quick access 50 count limit

There seems to be a limit of 50 folders that can be displayed in Quick access. If you pin more than 50 they do not display, but on unpinning a different folder the 51'st shows up as the last one (50th) on the list.

How can more than 50 folders be displayed?

zedqed, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Mateusz, welcome to Ten Forums.

All Windows system files and folders always have English names only. Localized, translated names (Polish in your case) are just links, kind of shortcuts in user's selected language. It must be like this for Windows to work,

An example: Windows stores the user profiles always in profile folder Users, regardless which language your Windows is. The core operating system and its components only know this folder with its English name. To serve us non-English users better, Windows uses a localized link to Users folder in GUI.

When I boot my Finnish Windows machines up File Explorer shows me Users folder as Käyttäjät. In reality Käyttäjät is not a folder, it is a link to folder Users.

The same with personal folders like My Documents, My Pictures and so on, they are just links. Even in English Windows a personal user profile folder does not contain folder My Documents, that being only a link to folder Documents (without My prefix). In my Swedish Windows I would see Mina Dokumente in File Explorer, linking to Documents folder.

Short: All Windows system folders are named in English. File Explorer and other GUI elements just show localized links to these folders, translated to your language.

5. MateuszJ Win User
    Hey,
    thanks for your reply - the thing is that while in the folder Dokumenty (Polish word for Documents) I have some sub folders which -as I understand you - should be located in the original system's English-named folders. But when I am typing "ls" or "dir" command in powershell it displays nothing. So I am wondering what should I do (maybe look for some alternative path in Powershell or rename my Polish folders ?).

MateuszJ, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Two questions:

• Have you installed Polish Windows 10, or some other language and using Polish language pack?
    • In PS, what path does $env:USERPROFILE return?

7. MateuszJ Win User
    1. I guess it is a language pack. W10 was preinstalled on the computer I have bought yesterday - I have set Polish language while creating my account.

2. PS returns: C:\Users\janik

MateuszJ, Aug 16, 2016
  8. MateuszJ Win User

Ok It is kind of embarrasing : ) but... there is this thing called open drive in W10 and I had my files in Documents folder on Open Drive and not in the computer. Sorry for this. However it is interesting to know that the Polish folder names are only links. Thank you for your help.

MateuszJ, Aug 16, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    *Smile

Main thing is you found what was happening, what was wrong.

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Powershell displays different folder names than GUI - Similar Threads - Powershell displays different

2. same named folder with different logo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    same named folder with different logo: there are 2 music folder with different logo...i have tried to change the location of these folder, but when i tried to restore the folder to default location it happened..how to fix it now?...
  3. same named folder with different logo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    same named folder with different logo: there are 2 music folder with different logo...i have tried to change the location of these folder, but when i tried to restore the folder to default location it happened..how to fix it now?...
  4. same named folder with different logo

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Different Display Name vs Profile Name - Possible?: So, obviously with AD you can set someone's logon name to be first.last, but have their displayed name be Last, First. How to go about doing this on a stand-alone Win 10 Pro not on a domain or workgroup. Am I missing something? Thanks. 180750
  6. List file names than a folder.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List file names than a folder.: Is there a bat file to generate the list of file names that I have inside a folder? If possible you can help me to do it or give me suggestions. Thanks in advance. Please. 162655
  7. Folder Object Name desynchronized with displayed name

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Object Name desynchronized with displayed name: I got a new computer with only a 256 GB SSD and installed Windows on it. Because I have a considerable amount of other personal files on my computer, I decided to Move the big folders like "Documents" and "Music" from the SSD (C:/Users/Seth (my username) folder) to a hard...
  8. Folder Object Name desynchronized with displayed name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Object Name desynchronized with displayed name: I got a new computer with only a 256 GB SSD and installed Windows on it. Because I have a considerable amount of other personal files on my computer, I decided to Move the big folders like "Documents" and "Music" from the SSD C:/Users/Seth my username folder to a hard drive....
  9. Set command shows different Path in command prompt than the Environmental Variables GUI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set command shows different Path in command prompt than the Environmental Variables GUI: Windows 10 Home x_64. Over the years I must have either deleted a few programs improperly or the uninstall programs didn't complete as expected. Either way my %PATH% environment variable needs a clean-up. When I open a command prompt and type "set", then scroll through the...
  10. Powershell GUI Change

in Windows 10 Support
    Powershell GUI Change: Hi everyone! I recently notice that my powershell change his skin and i don't why. I try to run sfc command but nothing has been found. try to uncheck powershell 2.0 from turn windows features off or on but no luck. The powershell work perfect on cmd terminal but not for...