Windows 10: PowerShell fails to start

Discus and support PowerShell fails to start in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I recently had need to run PowerShell. When invoked from the graphical interface, the PowerShell window only briefly appears. When run from the cmd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TD4D, Mar 9, 2021.

1. TD4D Win User

PowerShell fails to start

I recently had need to run PowerShell. When invoked from the graphical interface, the PowerShell window only briefly appears. When run from the cmd window, the following error is shown:

Windows PowerShell terminated with the following error:

Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

Environment:

Lenovo Yoga 3 with 16 GB of memory and lots of available disk space

Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 with all updates applied

Corrective actions taken to date:

• SFC /scannow
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      -- reboot --
    • SFC /scannow 2nd run
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      -- reboot --
    • SFC /scannow 3rd run

None of the above SFC or DISM tasks revealed any errors or issues. I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to resolve this problem.

Thanks

:)

TD4D, Mar 9, 2021

2. Powershell failed to start

• I haven't made any changes, only windows 10 automatic update
    • I started experiencing it yesterday.
    • i have basically done no Troubleshooting step.

benjaminOguntoye, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Yvonne Win User
    Applications still showing on Start menu after powershell deletion

Hi,

I've used powershell to remove some apps (like Xbox games).

On one account, it cleaned up the start menu just fine.

Second account, they were showing on the start menu, so I ran powershell again and verified everything was gone that I wanted, but Xbox is still showing on the menu list. *Not* as a tile, but in the "All Apps" list. I have also tried looking at the Start Menu in File Explorer for that User and can not see the App listed.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Yvonne, Mar 9, 2021
  4. PowerShell fails to start

Powershell failed to start

Hello Benjamin,

In order for us to properly address your issue, we would like to ask few questions:

• Have you made any changes or updates to your PC prior to this?
    • When did you start experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    Awaiting your response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

PowerShell fails to start

1. PowerShell fails to start - Similar Threads - PowerShell fails start

2. Powershell update-help fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell update-help fails.: It seems to run OK then then suddenly fails with HTTP 404 error. Note that is also fails if I try to update the 'en-US' language files. Any clues as what is going on?The following were the verbose messages produced.VERBOSE: Resolving URI:...
  3. Powershell update-help fails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell update-help fails.: It seems to run OK then then suddenly fails with HTTP 404 error. Note that is also fails if I try to update the 'en-US' language files. Any clues as what is going on?The following were the verbose messages produced.VERBOSE: Resolving URI:...
  4. Powershell update-help fails.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Started getting this message after an apparently failed install of the new Powershell.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Started getting this message after an apparently failed install of the new Powershell.: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f 0x0000000000000003, 0xffffe707b87ec050, 0xfffff8031a491850, 0xffffe707adcd3a20. A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 72e6305d-5983-4777-a3c4-3da83869b163.It is showing a failure any time...
  6. Windows powershell code failing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows powershell code failing: Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired. At line:1 char:1 + Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :...
  7. Unable to start powershell

Unable to start powershell: I am on my hp laptop and when I open powershell it says error 0x0000142: unable to start powershell. I have executed sfc/ SCANNOW but nothing solved it. How can I open powershell now?...
  8. PowerShell: update-help failing

PowerShell: update-help failing: Good Morning, Please can someone explain why I am receiving the following error when I use theupdate-help command in PowerShell and how I can fix it - update-help : Failed to update Help for the modules : 'AppBackgroundTask, AppLocker, Appx, AssignedAccess, BitLocker,...
  9. Piping Powershell output fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Piping Powershell output fails: I'm in the Admin Powershell window. I'm trying to install azure modules on my Windows 10 Enterprise workstation, version 10.0.18362.778 The install fails and I want to capture the output so I go (at the powershell prompt): Install-Module -name -Az -Verbose -Force | Out-File...
  10. Powershell ISE Will Not Start

Powershell ISE Will Not Start: Hello, I'm having an issue with Powershell ISE. Powershell itself works just fine, as does Powershell x86 ISE. I'm on Windows 10 1909. Since ISE is no longer supported, did they break something with release 1909? I also tried on my jump box that is also on 1909 and...