Windows 10: PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working?

Discus and support PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I lately switched to PowerShell as my CLI and like it. What I don't understand, though, is, why not all keyboard shortcuts work as one would expect.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Sep 30, 2020.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working?

I lately switched to PowerShell as my CLI and like it. What I don't understand, though, is, why not all keyboard shortcuts work as one would expect.

E.g. if I open the upper-left corner menu and navigate to Edit => Find I see a "Ctrl-F" at the right side of the menu entry. This suggests to me that one could also call that function using the displayed keyboard shortcut.

However, if I hit Ctrl-F on the command line, nothing happens other than that I get a '^F' displayed. No matter what I do or enter subsequently (e.g. '^Ffoobar<Enter>') I always just get an error message '[?]foobar' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, etc.'
    ( [?] here indicating a box with some too-tiny-to-read character inside).

So, the ^F and some other keyboard shortcuts that are displayed in the menu are obviously ignored and have no function.
    Is there a way to get these working in PowerShell?

:)

2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 30, 2020
  4. KeithM Win User

How to change the WinX menu, including Powershell/Powershell (Admin)

This part intrigues me. As suggested earler, please post a screenshot of the error message. Also, please clarify/test the follwoing:
    1. Can you start PowerShell from the Start Menu?
    2. If you navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3, does PowerShell launch from the shortcuts there?
    3. If #1 works & #2 doesn't, compare (& post) the target text from each shortcuts properties. For the Start Menu shortcut, right-click & select Open file location to navigate to the Start Menu folder.

Keith

KeithM, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

1. PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working? - Similar Threads - PowerShell keyboard shortcuts

2. Keyboard Shortcuts Mysteriously Stop Working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcuts Mysteriously Stop Working: Ctrl + f and ctrl + d sometimes mysteriously stop working for me (I notice this in Edge/Google Docs). I have no idea what triggers this. At this point restarting the machine solves the problem, but it's bound to come back. Any ideas? submitted by /u/daygot [link]...
  3. how do i change the keyboard shortcuts with a keyboard shortcut

how do i change the keyboard shortcuts with a keyboard shortcut: ive done this a few times and i somehow always forget how to fix it. i somehow pressed some keys that changed my shortcut binding. @ used to be ``alt gr + Q`` and now it is ``shift + 2`` i dont know if it is just 1 button that changes it or a combination of 2 or 3. does...
  4. Keyboard Shortcuts Not working

Keyboard Shortcuts Not working: [ATTACH] I have set the shortcut key for this chrome shortcut to ctrl alt up but it does not work. anyone know why? https://preview.redd.it/osyympjs7eu41.png?width=363&format=png&auto=webp&s=a371db11f13226c74d84d7fcfd03d02b4a97b313 submitted by /u/Joel9593 [link]...
  5. Desktop Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working?

Desktop Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working?: Just installed Windows 10 Build 1909. Made a CMD shortcut on the desktop and assigned a custom keyboard shortcut of ctrl + alt + k using the properties window. The keyboard shortcut does not work. I have tried putting the shortcut in the start menu and have tried multiple...
  6. Keyboard Shortcuts/Hotkeys aren't working!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard Shortcuts/Hotkeys aren't working!: Hi, I recently just got a refurbished laptop from an auction. The keyboard shortcuts (ex: ctrl + c) don't work, anything I've read online is not working. It's a windows 10, but some of the settings and layout is a bit different. I don't know much, as I just got it today. Can...
  7. how to add powershell batch file shortcut to taskbar

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    how to add powershell batch file shortcut to taskbar: Hi I have several batch files which I've created shortcuts for, and added to my windows taskbar. I now have a new batch file which contains some powershell which instructs pc to switch off screen. Please can anyone advise why Windows won't let me place this shortcut on the...
  8. CTRL Keyboard Shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CTRL Keyboard Shortcuts not working: I have recently discovered that whenever I try to use keyboard shortcuts (i.e. ctrl + C, ctrl + Z, etc.) with my LEFT control key, nothing happens. Instead, it will just type the letter I tried to use in the shortcut. So if I try to copy, it will enter a C. This is only...
  9. how to cancel keyboard shortcuts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to cancel keyboard shortcuts: Hi, this is the most hate feature I can't cancel. Please help me find place where I can close shortcuts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-cancel-keyboard-shortcuts/139295ed-27a8-4a3f-8398-99614a68e200
  10. Some keyboard shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Some keyboard shortcuts not working: I have a new Windows 10 desktop machine & like to use keyboard shortcuts to launch programs & folders. Some of them work & some don't. Some work some of the time. I saw some old threads on this, & tried some of their suggestions, like disabling Services/Superfetch & some...