Windows 10: PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working?

Discus and support PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I lately switched to PowerShell as my CLI and like it. What I don't understand, though, is, why not all keyboard shortcuts work as one would expect.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Sep 30, 2020.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working?

I lately switched to PowerShell as my CLI and like it. What I don't understand, though, is, why not all keyboard shortcuts work as one would expect.

E.g. if I open the upper-left corner menu and navigate to Edit => Find I see a "Ctrl-F" at the right side of the menu entry. This suggests to me that one could also call that function using the displayed keyboard shortcut.

However, if I hit Ctrl-F on the command line, nothing happens other than that I get a '^F' displayed. No matter what I do or enter subsequently (e.g. '^Ffoobar<Enter>') I always just get an error message '[?]foobar' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, etc.'
    ( [?] here indicating a box with some too-tiny-to-read character inside).

So, the ^F and some other keyboard shortcuts that are displayed in the menu are obviously ignored and have no function.
    Is there a way to get these working in PowerShell?

:)

2. Arun B J Win User

Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Sep 30, 2020
  4. KeithM Win User

How to change the WinX menu, including Powershell/Powershell (Admin)

This part intrigues me. As suggested earler, please post a screenshot of the error message. Also, please clarify/test the follwoing:
    1. Can you start PowerShell from the Start Menu?
    2. If you navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3, does PowerShell launch from the shortcuts there?
    3. If #1 works & #2 doesn't, compare (& post) the target text from each shortcuts properties. For the Start Menu shortcut, right-click & select Open file location to navigate to the Start Menu folder.

Keith

KeithM, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

1. PowerShell: How to get keyboard shortcuts working? - Similar Threads - PowerShell keyboard shortcuts

2. shortcut to folder that works in powershell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcut to folder that works in powershell: Hi,I would like to have a shortcut or equivalent to a directory that functions in powershell.Most of the folders I usually access in powershell are on another drive. This means that to access them I need to type "cd D:/something/something-else/projects" for example.Is there a...
  3. shortcut to folder that works in powershell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shortcut to folder that works in powershell: Hi,I would like to have a shortcut or equivalent to a directory that functions in powershell.Most of the folders I usually access in powershell are on another drive. This means that to access them I need to type "cd D:/something/something-else/projects" for example.Is there a...
  4. shortcut to folder that works in powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Keyboard shortcut not working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keyboard shortcut not working.: I am unable to switch between list and icons using keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+6 & other shortcuts like this, actually all other shortcuts are working just fine. Execpt these view switch shortcuts.Kindly help as it is a important for me as I have to use it in my everyday...
  6. Keyboard shortcut not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard shortcut not working.: I am unable to switch between list and icons using keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Shift+6 & other shortcuts like this, actually all other shortcuts are working just fine. Execpt these view switch shortcuts.Kindly help as it is a important for me as I have to use it in my everyday...
  7. Keyboard shortcut not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. keyboard shortcuts not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard shortcuts not working: Looking for keyboard shortcuts for diacriticals, either in ENG INTL or in Deutsch/German. Bing's list has instructions for combos, apostrophe=acute accent works, but comma=cedilla and colon=umlaut do nothing. What is the correct shortcut to use without keying in a code each...
  9. PowerShell shortcut not working.

in Windows 10 Support
    PowerShell shortcut not working.: Shortcut: Code: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -WindowStyle Hidden "& ""D:\Backup\Common\App_Launcher\System_2\EmptyRecycleBin.ps1""" If this code is run inside Powershell.ise, it works, but not with the shortcut: Code: $title = 'Empty Recycle Bin'...
  10. Keyboard Shortcuts Not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard Shortcuts Not working: [ATTACH] I have set the shortcut key for this chrome shortcut to ctrl alt up but it does not work. anyone know why? https://preview.redd.it/osyympjs7eu41.png?width=363&format=png&auto=webp&s=a371db11f13226c74d84d7fcfd03d02b4a97b313 submitted by /u/Joel9593 [link]...