Windows 10: PowerShell rename files

Discus and support PowerShell rename files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear team, I have 30,000 .jpg files in a folder and I need to rename them. I am trying to use Windows PowerShell. I want all the files to have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HenryGarciaP, Aug 16, 2020.

1. PowerShell rename files

Dear team,

I have 30,000 .jpg files in a folder and I need to rename them. I am trying to use Windows PowerShell.

I want all the files to have a numeric name with 5 digits. For example, I want to do the following:

1.jpg -> 00001.jpg

2.jpg -> 00002.jpg

29999.pg -> 29999.jpg

Could you please tell me how I could do it with PowerShell?

Thank you,

Henry

:)

HenryGarciaP, Aug 16, 2020

2. File renamer utility?

Is there a good file renamer utility that's safe to use anyone could recommend? I used to use Gizmo's list for app suggestions but this particular application has not been reviewed in several years, so I don't know if those apps are safe to use or not.

I have many files I need to rename but keep the individuality of the names. For instance, I need to rename all files in a particular folder from yyyy.mm.pdf to AMEXyyyy.mm.pdf keeping the yyyy.mm data unique. Another folder has a ton of files that need to be renamed from yyyy.mm.pdf to Visayyyy.mm.pdf.

I had all this figured out a month or so back but have already forgotten how I did it using an arcane script in either cmd prompt or powershell, I can't remember which. And now I'm drawing a blank how to do it. Again. smh. So I thought a nice freeware file renamer might help me out.

speedlever, Aug 16, 2020
  3. Renaming group of files

Hi Richard,

There is a possibility that you are experiencing an issue with renaming the group of files because of a software conflict or damages within the files you are trying to rename. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following
    questions:

• Which build and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • Why are you using the Windows PowerShell instead of File Explorer to rename the files?
    • Is your device connected to a domain network?

PowerShell is usually used by advanced users to troubleshoot problems with Windows. You can visit this
    link as a reference on how to use PowerShell to rename files in bulk.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Aug 16, 2020
  4. PowerShell rename files

Renaming group of files

REN in Powershell is not the same as REN in CMD.

REN in PowerShell is an Alias for Rename-Item, and it has different behaviours.

To get an example of how to use Rename-Item in Powershell type:

help rename-item -examples

The fourth example that is displayed is this:

Get-ChildItem *.txt | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.name -Replace '\.txt','.log' }

therefore, you need to get a list of the items that you want to rename and rename the items

for example, if I had a folder full of .jpeg files that I wanted to rename to .jpg then I would need to run the following from the directory that holds the files:

Get-ChildItem *.jpeg | Rename-Item -NewName {$_.Name -replace '\.jpeg','.jpg'}

I must admit that it is simpler in DOS with REN

pestell159, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

PowerShell rename files

1. PowerShell rename files - Similar Threads - PowerShell rename files

2. File Renaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Renaming: Is there a way to change the automatic 1 at the end each each file with the same name? My company would like me to rename files for them. I need to name pictures the same name at the same time. I know that I can batch rename them but it always ends with a 1, 2, 3 etc... I...
  3. File Renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Renaming: Is there a way to change the automatic 1 at the end each each file with the same name? My company would like me to rename files for them. I need to name pictures the same name at the same time. I know that I can batch rename them but it always ends with a 1, 2, 3 etc... I...
  4. File renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File renaming: when i try to change a movie file name in windows 11 it plays video. When I right click to rename https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-renaming/a20da827-42c9-49eb-b5af-85946e1f9808
  5. How can I bulk rename files using PowerShell?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I bulk rename files using PowerShell?: I have a lot of videos like this, they're in different folders and those folders are in one folder. They're named according to the time they were taken and they're named in YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS time format.Now, I want to rearrange their name so the name will be in DD-MM-YYYY...
  6. How can I bulk rename files using PowerShell?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I bulk rename files using PowerShell?: I have a lot of videos like this, they're in different folders and those folders are in one folder. They're named according to the time they were taken and they're named in YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS time format.Now, I want to rearrange their name so the name will be in DD-MM-YYYY...
  7. Renaming files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Renaming files: I am looking for a program or application that I can use to rename a large number of files in batch mode. I have 5 folders, each containing about 800 .tif files. The file names consist of a few letters followed by a 3 digit number. I need to combine them all into one folder...
  8. Batch Rename in Powershell

Batch Rename in Powershell: I'm trying to rename all the image files in a folder by appending a 1- in front of each file name using this command: Dir Rename-Item -NewName {$_.name -replace "IMG_*.*","1-IMG_*.*"} A typical file name is IMG_0001-Wolf.jpg. I get the following error message for each...
  9. Renaming a file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Renaming a file: Just had a "bios" update on HP computer and now I cannot rename a file without getting the message " Don't have permission to save in this locatin. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR AND ONLY USER! How is this fixed … please?...
  10. Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell

Rename a range of file names via Windows Powershell: Hello, Does anyone have an idea how to tell Windows Powershell to rename a range of file names? I tried using the following: Dir l rename-item - newname {$_. - replace "1-1..1-30", "E1.1"} Thought if I used the (..) range marker between the first portion of the file...