Windows 10: PowerShell: update-help failing

Discus and support PowerShell: update-help failing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Good Morning, Please can someone explain why I am receiving the following error when I use theupdate-help command in PowerShell and how I can fix it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JeetusS, May 15, 2020.

1. JeetusS Win User

PowerShell: update-help failing

Good Morning,

Please can someone explain why I am receiving the following error when I use theupdate-help command in PowerShell and how I can fix it -

update-help : Failed to update Help for the modules :
    'AppBackgroundTask, AppLocker, Appx, AssignedAccess, BitLocker, BitsTransfer, BranchCache, CimCmdlets, ConfigCI,
    DirectAccessClientComponents, Dism, DnsClient, EventTracingManagement, International, iSCSI, ISE, Kds,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive, Microsoft.PowerShell.Core, Microsoft.PowerShell.Diagnostics, Microsoft.PowerShell.Host,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.LocalAccounts, Microsoft.PowerShell.Management, Microsoft.PowerShell.Security,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility, Microsoft.WSMan.Management, MMAgent, MsDtc, NetAdapter, NetConnection,
    NetEventPacketCapture, NetLbfo, NetNat, NetQos, NetSecurity, NetSwitchTeam, NetTCPIP, NetworkConnectivityStatus,
    NetworkSwitchManager, NetworkTransition, PackageManagement, PcsvDevice, PKI, PnpDevice, PowerShellGet,
    PrintManagement, ProcessMitigations, Provisioning, PSDesiredStateConfiguration, PSReadline, PSScheduledJob,
    PSWorkflow, PSWorkflowUtility, ScheduledTasks, SecureBoot, SmbShare, SmbWitness, StartLayout, Storage, TLS,
    TroubleshootingPack, TrustedPlatformModule, VpnClient, Wdac, WindowsErrorReporting, WindowsSearch, WindowsUpdate'
    Access is denied. The command could not update Help topics for the Windows PowerShell core modules, or for any modules
    in the $pshome\Modules directory. To update these Help topics, start Windows PowerShell by using the "Run as
    Administrator" command, and try running Update-Help again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + update-help
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: : [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UpdatableHelpSystemRequiresElevation,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

update-help : Failed to update Help for the modules 'AppvClient, Defender, Microsoft.PowerShell.ODataUtils,
    Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation, UEV, WindowsDeveloperLicense' with UI cultures {en-GB} : Unable to
    connect to Help content. The server on which Help content is stored might not be available. Verify that the server is
    available, or wait until the server is back online, and then try the command again.
    + update-help
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: : [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToConnect,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

update-help : Failed to update Help for the modules 'WindowsUpdateProvider' with UI cultures {en-GB} : Unable to
    retrieve the HelpInfo XML file for UI culture en-GB. Make sure the HelpInfoUri property in the module manifest is
    valid or check your network connection and then try the command again.
    + update-help
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: : [Update-Help], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnableToRetrieveHelpInfoXml,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.UpdateHelpCommand

:)

JeetusS, May 15, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, May 15, 2020
  3. Cannot Update Powershell Help with the "Update-Help" Command

Hi,I am Vanshita, an Independent Windows Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/mod...

Hope it works

vanshitavanshita, May 15, 2020
  4. PowerShell: update-help failing

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 15, 2020
Thema:

PowerShell: update-help failing

1. PowerShell: update-help failing - Similar Threads - PowerShell update help

2. Reportiing: PowerShell 7 latest update-help fails on ConfigDefenderPerformance with a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reportiing: PowerShell 7 latest update-help fails on ConfigDefenderPerformance with a...: Just installed PS 7 on Windows yesterday. Can't update-help. Reporting problem for Microsoft to correct.```$ Update-HelpUpdate-Help: Failed to update Help for the modules 'ConfigDefenderPerformance, PSReadline' with UI cultures {en-US} : One or more errors occurred. Response...
  3. Reportiing: PowerShell 7 latest update-help fails on ConfigDefenderPerformance with a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reportiing: PowerShell 7 latest update-help fails on ConfigDefenderPerformance with a...: Just installed PS 7 on Windows yesterday. Can't update-help. Reporting problem for Microsoft to correct.```$ Update-HelpUpdate-Help: Failed to update Help for the modules 'ConfigDefenderPerformance, PSReadline' with UI cultures {en-US} : One or more errors occurred. Response...
  4. Reportiing: PowerShell 7 latest update-help fails on ConfigDefenderPerformance with a...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Administrative Powershell 7.2.7 Update-Help fails to complete!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrative Powershell 7.2.7 Update-Help fails to complete!: To Whom it May Concern; For YEARS now I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the Update-Help files in the Administrative Powershell to successfully complete! I have just recently upgraded my Administrative Powershell to 7.2.7 & I'm still unable to get the help files to...
  6. Administrative Powershell 7.2.7 Update-Help fails to complete!

Administrative Powershell 7.2.7 Update-Help fails to complete!: To Whom it May Concern; For YEARS now I have been trying unsuccessfully to get the Update-Help files in the Administrative Powershell to successfully complete! I have just recently upgraded my Administrative Powershell to 7.2.7 & I'm still unable to get the help files to...
  7. Administrative Powershell 7.2.7 Update-Help fails to complete!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Powershell update-help fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell update-help fails.: It seems to run OK then then suddenly fails with HTTP 404 error. Note that is also fails if I try to update the 'en-US' language files. Any clues as what is going on?The following were the verbose messages produced.VERBOSE: Resolving URI:...
  9. Powershell update-help fails.

Powershell update-help fails.: It seems to run OK then then suddenly fails with HTTP 404 error. Note that is also fails if I try to update the 'en-US' language files. Any clues as what is going on?The following were the verbose messages produced.VERBOSE: Resolving URI:...
  10. Powershell update-help fails.

in Windows 10 Customization

Users found this page by searching for:

1. server 2016 Failed to update Help for the module(s) CimCmdlets ISE Microsoft.PowerShell.Archive