Windows 10: PowerShell Update

Discus and support PowerShell Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I was trying to work through the instructional "Powershell Scripting - The Basics" and ran into a problem. When I try to even run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jbooze, Aug 30, 2020.

1. jbooze Win User

PowerShell Update

Hello everyone, I was trying to work through the instructional "Powershell Scripting - The Basics" and ran into a problem. When I try to even run Start-VM I get this error.

PowerShell Update [​IMG]

And then, when I try to update my Powershell on the web I get this.

PowerShell Update [​IMG]

I am hoping someone would help me understand what my problem is. Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,

:)

jbooze, Aug 30, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

PowerShell can process many CLI commands but does have its own syntax as you are finding.

I use it a lot at a management level for carious workstation and sever tasks. Pretty much anything Windows does in the GUI is a powershell command.

I recommend you look up some info on Google and also look into the book, Learn PowerShell in 30-days Worth of Lunches. That'll give you a great start to properly using and understanding PowerShell. Its extremely powerful and useful...the caveat is learning it and understanding what it wants.

You should be able to set it back to CLI in personalization settings if you don't want to learn it. CLI is still food enough for most folks...not sure why they felt the need to do that...ironically I have my menus set to display PowerShell instead of CLI.

http://m.windowsitpro.com/windows-10/pro-tip-replace-command-prompt-powershell-windows-x-menu

Kursah, Aug 30, 2020
  4. Mark Isi Win User

PowerShell Update

PowerShell randomly poping-up in tool bar

Hello,

Just to verify, do you have any scheduled tasks that uses Powershell? Scheduled tasks makes Powershell window appear periodically on your computer, therefore we suggest that you check the Task Scheduler. Here are the steps:

• Click on Start.
    • In the search bar, type Task Scheduler and click on

Task Scheduler
      in the results.
    • Under Active Tasks, check for any tasks that use Powershell and the scheduled time.

If the issue still persist, we suggest that you run a Windows Defender scan to see if it will pick up any malware that the first scan missed.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

PowerShell Update

1. PowerShell Update - Similar Threads - PowerShell Update

2. Windows update powershell query breaks in windows 10 v2004

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows update powershell query breaks in windows 10 v2004: Query to fetch last successful windows update installation breaks in windows 10 v2004. It fetches 01-01-1601 00:00:00 This used to work in v1909. Try following in powershell on windows 10 v1909 and v2004 $windowsUpdateObject = New-Object -ComObject...
  3. How to update a file directly in TFS using Powershell scripts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to update a file directly in TFS using Powershell scripts: I need to update a file in TFS via powershell. Simply I need to perform find and replace operation. I have a code piece to update a file which is saved in local machine, but not directly in TFS. Please help....
  4. Why does PowerShell 7.0.1 Update-Help stall ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does PowerShell 7.0.1 Update-Help stall ?: In a PowerShell 7.0.1 prompt, when I type the following: Update-Help -Verbose it just sits there doing nothing. No error, nothing. My environment: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1909 OS Build 18363.836 $PSVersionTable output: Name Value...
  5. PowerShell: update-help failing

in Windows 10 Customization
    PowerShell: update-help failing: Good Morning, Please can someone explain why I am receiving the following error when I use theupdate-help command in PowerShell and how I can fix it - update-help : Failed to update Help for the modules : 'AppBackgroundTask, AppLocker, Appx, AssignedAccess, BitLocker,...
  6. Powershell: Update-Help. Can't find Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell: Update-Help. Can't find Server: Hello I'm trying to use PowerShell on a home computer, US English, German Keyboard Update-Help Yields: "update-help : Failed to update Help for the module(s) 'AppvClient, Defender, Microsoft.PowerShell.ODataUtils, Microsoft.PowerShell.Operation.Validation, UEV, Whea,...
  7. After Last windows10 update april 2019, run and powershell apps do not execute

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After Last windows10 update april 2019, run and powershell apps do not execute: I can't get the RUN or windows powershell app to execute. nothing happens. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-last-windows10-update-april-2019-run-and/7278c245-a07a-4f9b-834b-bffa1fb9a554
  8. PowerShell To update Drivers of a computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PowerShell To update Drivers of a computer: I am trying to learn powershell. I am trying to build a powershell script with logic to identify a currently installed driver version. if it is the same (as the one i am trying to install or newer) skip the install. If it is lower than the version i am trying to install...
  9. Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update

Start Menu, Taskbar Icons, and Powershell Not Working in Windows 10 After Update: After my latest Win 10 update, my Start Menu and Taskbar Icons don't respond anymore. When I tried to fix it using methods I found online, I noticed several things do not function as well. 1) I cannot run PowerShell (Admin). If I run it, the PC will freeze and only show my...
  10. WSUS Updates Powershell script fails; Errorcode: 0x80240438

WSUS Updates Powershell script fails; Errorcode: 0x80240438: Hello, I am trying to run a powershell script on a Windows Server 2016 to find, download and install updates, but I get the following error: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80240438 ... + $result = $updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software'") +...