Windows 10: powershell v admin cmd prompt

Discus and support powershell v admin cmd prompt in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; so differences are very technical and i dont understand any of this: What is the difference between CMD and Powershell? - Quora but basically just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by helpfixcomputer, Nov 30, 2020.

1. powershell v admin cmd prompt

so differences are very technical and i dont understand any of this: What is the difference between CMD and Powershell? - Quora

but basically just wanted to know

1. what does fully admin elevated cmd prompt Commonly do that powershell doesnt ?
    2. does powershell do all common things admin cmd prompt does ?
    3. if it does, then why doesnt ps do /ipconfig ? cos tried it and it didnt work...

:)

helpfixcomputer, Nov 30, 2020

2. CMD and PowerShell

Hi all,

I run Windows 10, v 1803. Clicking Start, typing CMD, there is only "Command Prompt (desktop application)".

Win key + X shows "Windows PowerShell" and "Windows PowerShell (Admin)".

If after Win key+R I choose Windows PowerShell" pops up a message:

Same with the other option "Windows PowerShell (Admin)".

How to make Windows PowerShell (which seems to be a replacement of Command Prompt) functional?

dschaareman, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode

I am using win 10 pro. My initial problem is I cannot display list of wifi networks. I cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode. I've used all the trouble shooting steps on this site and nothing works. Short of throwing this PC out the window is there anything
    else I can try?

MichaelnEvans, Nov 30, 2020
  4. powershell v admin cmd prompt

CMD and PowerShell

Hi Andre,

I did all items you listed.

After reboot, running CMD and powershell (admin) had the same result ("no app associated"). So I turned the feature off in taskbar settings.

Regards,

Danker

dschaareman, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

powershell v admin cmd prompt

1. powershell v admin cmd prompt - Similar Threads - powershell admin cmd

2. Can't start cmd & powershell as admin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't start cmd & powershell as admin: I can no longer start the cmd and powershell as administrator, even by right-clicking to start it as administrator. I tried to do a disk scan and nothing changed, I tried to contact the assistance and I also did the repair-update and also this time nothing changed. Thank you...
  3. Can't start cmd & powershell as admin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't start cmd & powershell as admin: I can no longer start the cmd and powershell as administrator, even by right-clicking to start it as administrator. I tried to do a disk scan and nothing changed, I tried to contact the assistance and I also did the repair-update and also this time nothing changed. Thank you...
  4. CMD Prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  5. Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode: I am using win 10 pro. My initial problem is I cannot display list of wifi networks. I cannot open cmd prompt in admin mode. I've used all the trouble shooting steps on this site and nothing works. Short of throwing this PC out the window is there anything else I can try?...
  6. Why is wsl.exe visible in a cmd prompt but not PowerShell?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is wsl.exe visible in a cmd prompt but not PowerShell?: For some reason if I'm in a PowerShell terminal and cd to C:\Windows\System32, I cannot see the wsl.exe command. If I run a cmd from there I can see wsl.exe and a couple of other wsl* files See comparison below. Why am I not able to see wsl.exe when in a PowerShell window?...
  7. Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe: Hello Lovely people,Im from the Netherlands so my english isnt that very good,But couple of days when i start my up i got an cmd prompt but its empty so it doesnt say anything it stays a few sec and then it goes away and then i get the cmd prompt but with cscript.exe and then...
  8. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cmd prompt: I had win 10 setup so that shift right click context menus showed cmd prompt, as powershell does a lousy job with batch files, which I use a lot. Latest update killed that setting and I can't get it back. None of the suggestions on the web are working. So two questions:...
  9. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cmd prompt: My cmd prompt isn't opening for my file (use for Minecraft modding) The option doesn't even show up to use it all that shows up is powershell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-prompt/5f084111-fa7d-4cdd-b450-68c430dcd7b0
  10. CMD and PowerShell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CMD and PowerShell: Hi all, I run Windows 10, v 1803. Clicking Start, typing CMD, there is only "Command Prompt (desktop application)". Win key + X shows "Windows PowerShell" and "Windows PowerShell (Admin)". If after Win key+R I choose Windows PowerShell" pops up a message: Same with...