Windows 10: PowerShell vs CommandPrompt

Discus and support PowerShell vs CommandPrompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All of a sudden I could not start PS app... so, I switched to CmdPrmpt. That got me thinking: (1) do I need both? (2) Should I even bother fixing PS?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by coolnewyorker, Feb 6, 2021.

1. PowerShell vs CommandPrompt

All of a sudden I could not start PS app... so, I switched to CmdPrmpt. That got me thinking: (1) do I need both? (2) Should I even bother fixing PS?

:)

coolnewyorker, Feb 6, 2021
  2. Kursah Win User

PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Feb 6, 2021
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    PowerShell randomly poping-up in tool bar

Hello,

Just to verify, do you have any scheduled tasks that uses Powershell? Scheduled tasks makes Powershell window appear periodically on your computer, therefore we suggest that you check the Task Scheduler. Here are the steps:

• Click on Start.
    • In the search bar, type Task Scheduler and click on

Task Scheduler
      in the results.
    • Under Active Tasks, check for any tasks that use Powershell and the scheduled time.

If the issue still persist, we suggest that you run a Windows Defender scan to see if it will pick up any malware that the first scan missed.

Let us know the outcome.

Mark Isi, Feb 6, 2021
  4. KeithM Win User

PowerShell vs CommandPrompt

How to change the WinX menu, including Powershell/Powershell (Admin)

This part intrigues me. As suggested earler, please post a screenshot of the error message. Also, please clarify/test the follwoing:
    1. Can you start PowerShell from the Start Menu?
    2. If you navigate to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\Group3, does PowerShell launch from the shortcuts there?
    3. If #1 works & #2 doesn't, compare (& post) the target text from each shortcuts properties. For the Start Menu shortcut, right-click & select Open file location to navigate to the Start Menu folder.

Keith

KeithM, Feb 6, 2021
Thema:

PowerShell vs CommandPrompt

1. PowerShell vs CommandPrompt - Similar Threads - PowerShell CommandPrompt

2. Powershell - Remove Windows 10 Apps for All users

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell - Remove Windows 10 Apps for All users: I am trying to remove Several Windows 10 Apps via Powershell and I mean I have done extensive research but just can not seem to get it to work. It works great for 1 user but not all users. Am I doing something wrong or what cause this is getting annoying lol....
  3. Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Keep elevated powershell in Windows Terminal: I'm running Windows Terminal v.1.6.10571.0 and love having my Ubuntu, CMD and Powershell sessions all in WT. However, a few things I need to regularly do require me to elevate powershell. When I do this with 'Start-Process Powershell -Verb RunAs' it launches the elevated PS...
  4. Microsoft Defender Detects powershell trojan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender Detects powershell trojan: everytime i boot up my machine, windows defender detects this: CmdLine: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command Invoke-WebRequest -URI https://iplogger.org/1hTS97 i remove it, but it justs keeps coming back, is there a fix for this?...
  5. How to use PowerShell to find and disable Webcams in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to use PowerShell to find and disable Webcams in Windows 10: [ATTACH]Webcams are typically small cameras that sit on a desk, attach to a user’s […] This article How to use PowerShell to find and disable Webcams in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. Can some one help with this Wierd PowerShell event log entry, Please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can some one help with this Wierd PowerShell event log entry, Please: Looking through my power shell log i noticed a new entry: HostApplication=powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Restricted -Command $Res = 0; ifGet-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName IIS-WebServerRole.State -eq 'Enabled' { $Path = $env:windir +...
  7. Powershell window open and close when i try top open some settings from taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Powershell window open and close when i try top open some settings from taskbar: From the taskbar, when try to open network & internet settings, battery settings, and probably other links that open a setting window in windows 10, it opens a powershell window for 1 sec and it close. And the window that I want does not opens. I tried : DISM /Online...
  8. Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change Default From Powershell to Ubuntu in Windows Terminal: Instead of Powershell, I would like Windows Terminal to open a WSL tab by default. If this is possible, than I could right-click to open a new terminal from File Explorer, and not have to change directory all the way to where I want to go. submitted by /u/GalacticWafer...
  9. Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager: I have a VHDX file that is an image of the system drive in a new laptop, created with Diskpart version 10.0.19041.1: create vdisk file="D:\PC_Original.vhdx" type=expandable source="\\.\physicaldrive0" If this is successful it was, I should be able to store and work with...
  10. How to have a command run when opening PowerShell?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to have a command run when opening PowerShell?: Hi there everyone. I did a quick search of the forums but didn't see anything covering this. I recently found this program called winfetch that displays the Windows logo in ASCII along with system info. It's a single command to run, and I was wanting to configure PS 7 to run...