Windows 10: Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious

Discus and support Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just trying to see if there is any rhyme or reason to what I'm seeing. The attached image is not what my pre boot menu actually looks like. That's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Homer712, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Homer712 Win User

Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious

Just trying to see if there is any rhyme or reason to what I'm seeing. The attached image is not what my pre boot menu actually looks like. That's because at that point in the boot process its impossible to take a screen grab, so I found this image on line.

In mine, the top left just says "Windows 10" with a count down timer. Below that is "Macrium Reflect", and below that is "Windows 10 Safe Mode" and in the top right there's "Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking."

The "Macrium Reflect" was put there by that same program.The "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode w/Networking" was put there using the Tutorial available here. But the actual menu items are not really my question. My question is this. Sometimes I'll hit the power button on my Dell laptop and that pre boot menu is as bright as a light bulb. Other times its really dim and they only way it gets bright is if I move the mouse (but then the 10 second timer for the Windows 10 selection goes away).

I'm sure there are many, many other things for me to worry about, but like the thread title says, I'm just curious as to what determines the brightness of that opening screen.

Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious [​IMG]

:)

Homer712, Feb 21, 2021

2. No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 21, 2021
  3. Pre-loaded games won't uninstall

I'm not really into some of the games that were pre-loaded into my PC but when I try to bring up the games from the Start menu and click on 'uninstall' it takes me to the control panel, and I don't see the games listed there for me to uninstall. Suggestions, please? Thanks! ~P

punkinbee59, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious

Boot Menu

Hi Harieo,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Refer the thread below and check if it helps.

How to restore missing dual boot menu in latest Windows 10 build

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• While at boot on the Choose an operating system screen, click/tap on
      Change defaults or choose other options at the bottom.
    • Click/tap on Choose other options.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious

1. Pre Boot Menu - Just Curious - Similar Threads - Pre Boot Menu

2. I am just curious.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am just curious.: Asking the community of anything a question about anything brings back the old "you get what you paid" slogan to mind.I'm just curious. How much do the experts pay Microsoft so that they can hang out in the support area and "help" peopleall day?...
  3. I am just curious.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am just curious.: Asking the community of anything a question about anything brings back the old "you get what you paid" slogan to mind.I'm just curious. How much do the experts pay Microsoft so that they can hang out in the support area and "help" peopleall day?...
  4. I am just curious.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I am just curious about these.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I am just curious about these.: I. Why did MS said to love Linux? In my opinion, they just said it to migrate to Linux to Windows because of WSL, and make them buy their products, than simply love open source. I used WSL, but things like Libre is slow, but MS office 2010 is faster. I have used other ones,...
  6. Printing: not a problem-just curious

Printing: not a problem-just curious: My hp 3050 j610 series printer is connected by wireless home network to 2 laptops. Although I can print from either laptop without any problem when I go into Settings>Printers both laptops show the printer as Default (correctly) but "not connected " which is obviously not...
  7. just curious

just curious: How many of you have more than 2 external drives attached to your system? I have 4 ,storage , backups, video and pic editing, and just text , music and comics. How many of you have moved your dvd to "a" or "b" drive? originally old floppy drives? Mines B drive. 129372
  8. just curious

in Windows 10 Support
    just curious: How many of you have more than 2 external drives attached to your system? I have 4 ,storage , backups, video and pic editing, and just text , music and comics. How many of you have moved your dvd to "a" or "b" drive? originally old floppy drives? Mines B drive. 129372
  9. Just curious

in Windows 10 Support
    Just curious: When Windows 10 is installed on a computer that already has another version of Windows(7,8.1) is the original version completely uninstalled? 112975
  10. Just a curious observation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Just a curious observation.: Dell laptop running Win 10 Pro Insider Preview Acer laptop running Win 10 Home RTM I am used to set the date in this format.................. eg. 2/28/2016............M/d/yyyy My Acer has different formats which do not allow me to do that. It does not have M/d/yyyy...