Windows 10: Pre-emptive help with cell phone internet access

Discus and support Pre-emptive help with cell phone internet access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm going on holiday tomorrow to Morocco. I'll get a local SIM for my mobile (it is an ancient S3 mini). I want to use it to access internet (either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lx07, May 13, 2016.

1. lx07 Win User

Pre-emptive help with cell phone internet access

I'm going on holiday tomorrow to Morocco.

I'll get a local SIM for my mobile (it is an ancient S3 mini). I want to use it to access internet (either tethering using the USB cable or making a WiFi hotspot I don't care) with my PC.

Is there anything I should consider? Do I need to get a data SIM rather than a voice one or it does not matter any more?

Basically, should I get a data SIM (more expensive) or a normal (voice) one? Or is it the same from a computer point of view? Obviously I'll check the rates.

:)

2. Mick_H1 Win User

will meego os be next firmware after pr1.2

Realtime multitasking requires multicore CPUs, otherwise it's pre-emptive, one app pauses while the other does a bit of a task, and they are switching all the time, more often than not, so quickly that it gives the illusion that both apps are running simultaneously.
    The Amiga was so effective at this because it had a co-processor (FPU) built in, so it was half-way between realtime and pre-emptive, and this was way back in 1985.

Mick_H1, May 13, 2016
  3. HTC Touch HD constantly showing as not connected on mobile centre

Both the information about resync'ing and pre-emptive text has been very very helpful. I suspect many other users have read this thread and been very appreciative. Thanks Jack, and Johan.

MrAshWhite, May 13, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

The way I understand what you want to do is that you want to have the phone get internet access from your computer? The phone has WiFi.... if the computer is going to connect to the internet with WiFi, then why can't the phone just connect to the same WiFi? Or is your internet connection to the computer going to be by ethernet (wired) only?

If you want the computer to access internet through the phone, then to make the connection between the phone and the computer, I would recommend the EasyTether app. It will connect the computer to the phone either through a USB cable or through bluetooth. EasyTether has worked great for me and does work on Windows 10. Again, if the phone is connected to the internet by WiFi, then the computer should be able to as well. If not, then you will need a data SIM card for the phone.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    What I'm asking is whether it is better (more convenient) to make the phone a Wi-Fi hotspot or plug it in with a USB cord.

I have no experience at all in this area which is why I'm asking.

I'll download the easy tether app now anyway as you recommended it.

EDIT: Perhaps I was not clear. I will only have mobile phone access as there is no landline phone or fibre or anything. What I want is to use my mobile phone to give internet access to my Windows 10 laptop.

6. consider tha when you use the phone for internet regardles hotspot or EasyTether consider the battery and the phone will get very hot
    just dont use it for to long becouse if its conected to the loptop it will drain the loptop battery olso my oppinion is the same one or the other

gijoetech1, May 13, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    I don't care about electricity use. I can plug my laptop into the wall and I can plug my phone into a USB port to charge.

What I care about is the best way to transfer 3G (cell phone) from my phone to my laptop.

8. Pre-emptive help with cell phone internet access

if you really like to use your loptop and be online consider a wifi stick on a plan as long your there where ever your going my oppinion i used it in italy 50 euro for a month a bit expensive but unlimited it was great

gijoetech1, May 13, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    I would certainly do that if you are saying I can't I can't use a phone.

I did think you could use a phone to (er) do the same thing. My old Lenovo laptop let you put in a SIM card and it worked fine. I was hoping to use my phone to do it without buying anything else.

I thought that was what tethering was but like I said, I really don't know.

If I have to buy a $50 USB stick I will but ideally it is not required.

10. *Thumbs its just more mobile for the loptop so you can use it regardless where you are its conviniance thats all at the end its prefereces i agree

gijoetech1, May 13, 2016
  11. lx07 Win User
    OK, imagine I'm really stupid and know nothing (which is true in this case).

Should I use the USB cable or make a WiFi hotspot to share the data from my cell phone to my laptop?

Which is better (or easier)?

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Easy Tether is very easy to use. You can try the lite version for free.

NavyLCDR, May 13, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

I did look but got too many dodgy and blocked sites with invalid certificates. I'm pretty sure I spelt it correctly.

I hate to ask for a link but could you tell me the name of the developer so I could avoid the spam and scams.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
  15. lx07 Win User
    It worked perfectly, thanks. Solved *Smile

Thema:

1. Pre-emptive help with cell phone internet access - Similar Threads - Pre emptive help

2. Cell phone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cell phone: I’m trying to Change my cell phone number but don’t have access to my old phone number But have have all the info it needs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cell-phone/67a833de-74e1-4e7a-a605-51d7199ba0df
  3. Cell phone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cell phone: I’m trying to Change my cell phone number but don’t have access to my old phone number But have have all the info it needs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cell-phone/67a833de-74e1-4e7a-a605-51d7199ba0df
  4. IT access to personal cell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    IT access to personal cell: I am working for a new company that had me authenticate Microsoft authenticator by phone on my personal cell. Does IT now have access to my personal cell phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-access-to-personal-cell/d669f15a-88ab-4e17-bde2-99452b972c58
  5. One Drive and Cell Phone

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive and Cell Phone: I am getting an error message on my Android phone telling me that I am critically low on space. When I check the folder, it's showing multiple one drive folders. I use One Drive on my PC, but have no wish to store the files on my cell. How can I unsync the cell phone from One...
  6. Can't add Cell Phone To Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't add Cell Phone To Account: To verify my ID when signing in to my MS account it asks to send a code to my email address or my land line phone. When I try to add my cell phone number to my Contact profile, it states that number is already taken. Also, I do not see even my land line number listed. I do...
  7. YOUR PHONE and a Samsung Cell

in Windows 10 Support
    YOUR PHONE and a Samsung Cell: Had this working last year on a different cell and number. YourPhone does not recognize the new cell. I am thinking that it is trying to link to the old one. The new cell has the APP installed and it says Your Phone And Pc Are Connected. What to do!!! Is there a way to give...
  8. Transfer from PC to Cell Phone

Transfer from PC to Cell Phone: I cannot figure out how to transfer individual documents, pictures, etc to my cell phone. Pc to cell. I found an easy way to do it using file explorer, highlight the document, click copy but my Lg Android is no longer listed in the drop-down menu. My phone is connected to...
  9. ? mysterious cell phone in device manager ?

? mysterious cell phone in device manager ?: Hi, I'm a retired programmer but I'm a little behind on all this wireless stuff. My suburb is way out in the mountains and only about half the people own cell phones because reception is so awful. I don't own one myself. Anyway I was in Device Manager today and saw a...
  10. Cell phone integration

in Windows 10 Support
    Cell phone integration: Is there any way to get cell phone apps working from within Windows? Example: would like to use PC keyboard to type messages in WhatsApp. TIA 59437