Windows 10: Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on

Discus and support Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, i have bought a lenovo p51s with windows 10 installed on it. It has a bitlocker encryption on and the seller says he doesnt know about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gurvindersingh7, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on

Hi there,

i have bought a lenovo p51s with windows 10 installed on it. It has a bitlocker encryption on and the seller says he doesnt know about the key. I have very important data in it. Please guide what to do to get it unlock.

:)

gurvindersingh7, Oct 19, 2020

2. BitLocker...on a pre-owned device (W10 Pro)

I recently bought a pre-owned HP ProBook 430 G1. The previous owner told me he reset the device, and at the time I bought it, it was running the initial free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (I presume upgraded from W8.1). It is now running W10 Pro, build1611 Anniversary
    Edition.

I want to activate BitLocker, but before I turn it on I need to be certain there will be no negative consequences...being locked out of the OS is not a good thing!

My understanding is that to access and operate a BitLocker encrypted drive, a password or recovery key is required...without at least one of these, the drive is essentially impenetrable, rendering all data lost.

I do not know whether the previous owner(s) used BitLocker...if they did, I do not know what their password and recovery key details were.

My questions:

• If the previous owner(s) had activated BitLocker (establishing a password and recovery key), and at some subsequent point they turned BitLocker off prior to my buying the device, what happens if I click “Turn on BitLocker”.....

• will I be locked out of the system (no password or recovery key)?, or;

• does the turning off of the BitLocker function result in all previous password and recovery key data being deleted, thus enabling me to establish new details?

Thank you in advance for all advice on this subject.

idunnonuthin, Oct 19, 2020
  3. berlodo Win User
    Including Bitlocker Pre-Provisioning

Hi @Kari,

That was an awesome Tutorial, exactly what I've been looking for !

I have been doing a bit of experimenting and found that a slight modification to your procedure can be used to pre-provision Bitlocker encryption, as long as the machine has a TPM chip present and activated on the motherboard. This pre-provisioning, if successful, could save a few hours as compared to configuring it post-install.
    Note: all of the following worked on Win 10 Enterprise x64 1709 on both an old Laptop (non-UEFI, non-Secure Boot e.g. a 10 year old Dell Latitude E4200 ) and a modern desktop (Dell Optiplex 5040 w UEFI and Secure Boot).
    All that's needed is to insert a step between 2.6 and 2.7 which would check if the destination drive is encryptable, and, if it is then enable encryption of used space. Because the 'used space' at that point is almost zero it gets encrypted almost instantaneously. But, because the drive is now encrypted, anything that DISM adds to the drive gets encrypted on the fly ! End result is that when the installation is finished the drive is encrypted with Bitlocker and just needs a 'protector' (e.g. TPM and PIN) added ..

Here's what worked for me ....
    - just after step 2.6, check that G: drive is actually encryptable (this also checks the BIOS, TPM activated etc.)
    run command 'manage-bde -status' (if that lists the volume as encryptable, then we're good to go to next ..)
    run command 'manage-bde -on G: -used' (that turns on bitlocker for the drive, and should finish after a few seconds ...... just wait a few seconds and verify that another 'manage-bde -status' now shows 100%)
    - .. now proceed to step 2.7

At the end of the installation and after first bootup and logon you should see a little yellow triangle as well as an unlock icon on the drive, showing it's encrypted but with a 'clear protector' ...... then just need to add a protector, like TPM and PIN e.g. 'manage-bde -protectors -add c: -TPMAndPIN' where you will be prompted for PIN, and if all goes well, will be prompted to enter PIN in order for machine to boot up.

berlodo, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Paola Gar Win User

Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on

1. Pre owned windows 10 has bitlocker on - Similar Threads - Pre owned has

2. Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon": Hi My couldn't get hold of the previous owner, I took a screen shot of Windows script host, can anyone tell me what to do to fix this? This is for Windows 11 Pro.ThanksPei...
  3. Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pre-owned desktop showing "windows license will expire soon": Hi My couldn't get hold of the previous owner, I took a screen shot of Windows script host, can anyone tell me what to do to fix this? This is for Windows 11 Pro.ThanksPei...
  4. WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!: Can anyone assist plz. One of our system user's pc has decided to get a mind of it's own. Cursor goes haywire moves all over the screen. Apps that is minimized, doesn't want to resize. Have run virus scan, malware scan, reloaded OS....to no avail. Regards,Shaun...
  5. WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!: Can anyone assist plz. One of our system user's pc has decided to get a mind of it's own. Cursor goes haywire moves all over the screen. Apps that is minimized, doesn't want to resize. Have run virus scan, malware scan, reloaded OS....to no avail. Regards,Shaun...
  6. WIndows 10 has a mind of its OWN!!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. BitLocker activated on it's own

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker activated on it's own: Hi ,Overall, I am having a Bitlocker recovery screen and I don't have that key, I have never created the key. In other words I do not have in any place, Microsoft/OneDrive account, on a printout I saved, on a USB flash drive, in an Azure Active Directory, held by a system...
  8. Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of Windows on a Pre-owned device: Hello there beautiful people. I am having a bit of a problem. I bought a laptop from my trusty local pawnshop and when I brought it home it wants me to activate my windows os.... why and how on a preowned device. Where do I get the key or do I have to buy a new system?...
  9. BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker is on but, need pre boot login: My BitLocker is on but, I do not get asked to enter a password or PIN before my user name comes up with a place to enter my PIN. How do I set it up so that it is encrypted and I need to enter a PIN or password before the system boots up? My service Tag is 6RHX7N2...
  10. Microsoft has begun pre-loading Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft has begun pre-loading Windows 10: Tomorrow, millions of Windows 7 and 8 users will be availing their free upgrade to Windows 10 and it seems that in order to mitigate server load and allow for a smooth and fast upgrade experience, Microsoft has already started pushing the necessary files to users' computers...