Windows 10: Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10

Discus and support Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Can someone tell me what all precautions should I take while upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7.What sort of imaging will be better like full disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nihal mazhar, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10

Can someone tell me what all precautions should I take while upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7.What sort of imaging will be better like full disk image .My computer manufacturer is not providing support for windows 10 on this model but the windows upgrade assistant says that it is all right to install windows 10 .Will it cause any issue with the drivers .The manufacturer provides support for windows 8 but not windows 10

:)

nihal mazhar, Jan 5, 2017
  2. petrib Win User

PLEASE HELP! ABOUT PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN TO BUY 2ND HAND SMART PHONES

Or it the phone could have been repaired and the main circuit board changed (that could change the IMEI, if the repair center is not changing the new circuit board's IMEI to the original).

petrib, Jan 5, 2017
  3. PLEASE HELP! ABOUT PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN TO BUY 2ND HAND SMART PHONES

m8,

there are loads of software/hardware gigs that can be use by a phone tech to revised all those things(manufacture date, repaired etc)! buying 2nd hand cellphone is like buying a used car, you just test it with no implied guarantee how long it's been used!

parts of the phone taken from different unit to avoid trace of ownership, usually done by fences( those buying stolen goods)
    Message Edited by android on 30-Jul-200710:36 AM

android---01, Jan 5, 2017
  4. Bastet Win User

Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10

I'd remove any non essential usb devices especially external hard drives, once everything is working fine & updated then you can create an image. I use Macrium reflect free which is excellent; tbh I'd create an image before upgrading too just in case.

Bastet, Jan 5, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you use Macrium Reflect Free to create an image of what you have on the hard drive now, and create the Macrium Rescue disk and make sure the computer boots from it, there isn't much that can go wrong with the upgrade that you won't be able to fix. Of course you need a storage location like a second hard drive (either internal or external) to hold the image and it has to have about 80% of the used space of your current drive free.

After the upgrade, I would suggest you export the drivers using the DISM command, then do a clean install of Windows 10, but let's get the initial upgrade done first!

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2017
  6. I have several PC's that have no Windows 10 drivers listed on their respective OEM support pages. They all work just fine in Windows 10. As already mentioned, disconnect/unplug any external devices before doing the upgrade to lessen the chance of issues cropping up. All you need is a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, plus Internet. Don't be surprised if you end up with a low resolution screen and or no sound right after you upgrade. Just take a break and let Windows update do its thing. On a clean install I end up with no sound and Standard Graphics adapter. If I sit back and wait about 5 minutes my screen flickers as Windows update updates my Video drivers and sound drivers. Then after a reboot everything works just fine. If you do have issues, you will have a roll back option that is good for 30 10 days.

alphanumeric, Jan 5, 2017
  7. I took a different approach. I had a 1.5 year old laptop in Win 8.1. There was some bizarre software installed, but nothing really bad (ie: pre 2010). It upgraded with no issues. I also had a 7 year old desktop with Win 7 that had every possible piece of software installed for 8 years. I said it would probably not survive a WIN 10 upgrade. Fortunately it died (MB Failure) 9 months later and has been re-born in a new case + mb and with a new WIN10 pro system installed it has no problems.

I think your mileage will vary depending on how old your system is !*Wink

storageman, Jan 6, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

It was reduced to ten days with the release of the Anniversary Update.

Windows 10 | Users previousl yhad 30 days to rollback an update to Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows

@nihal mazhar - my laptop is on Toshiba's 'not supported for Windows 10' list, but has been running Windows 10 since it was first released without a problem. As @Bastet suggests, I made a system image of the original HDD before I upgraded. In fact I went one step further. I took out the HDD, replaced it with a spare one and made sure I could restore the image to that before upgrading. I now have two disks I can put in my machine, one with Windows 10 and a spare with the original OEM Windows 7.

Bree, Jan 6, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    I enclose my guide on the Windows 10 update procedure which you may find helpful.
    Windows 10 Update Procedure.docx

Steve C, Jan 6, 2017
  10. Thanks for all your replies.Looking forward to do an upgrade soon

nihal mazhar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Precautions that should be taken while upgrading to windows 10 - Similar Threads - Precautions should taken

2. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: Hi everyone, I have an old PC running Windows 7 pro, my friend told me that I should install Windows 10 on it because windows 7 is outdated, I'm confused should I upgrade to Windows 10 or not? I already backed up my files and I want to make sure before I proceed. Well my PC...
  3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: Hi everyone, I have an old PC running Windows 7 pro, my friend told me that I should install Windows 10 on it because windows 7 is outdated, I'm confused should I upgrade to Windows 10 or not? I already backed up my files and I want to make sure before I proceed. Well my PC...
  4. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Important precautions to take before upgrading to Windows 10

Important precautions to take before upgrading to Windows 10: I recently upgraded two brand new off the shelf "computers" to Windows 10 and a couple of precautions saved me a whole lot of time. I say "computers" in quotes because one was a cheap 10" tablet from WalMart and the other is a cheap stick computer I am now using as a media...
  6. Should I upgrade to windows 10?

Should I upgrade to windows 10?: Hi all, I have myself a dell latitude D630 with windows 7 home premium that is genuine. I am thinking about upgrading to windows 10, however, will my laptop slow down a lot from upgrading? If not, will it slow down over time? I heard windows 10 will get more demanding...
  7. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: I currently run Windows 7 and have been thinking about upgrading to Windows 10, however I have heard that Windows 10 has privacy issues which is really putting me off upgrading. Also when I upgrade, will all my application work with Windows 10 like they do in Windows 7?...
  8. Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?: My present OS is Windows 8.1. (1) All I use my laptop for is email, web browsing and on-line purchases such as amazon.com, etc. I am accustomed to using 8.1 for the aforementioned and am happy with it. Is it worth it for me to upgrade to Windows 10? (2) When does Microsoft...
  9. Should I Upgrade to Windows 10??

Should I Upgrade to Windows 10??: I’m thinking of upgrading my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit system to Windows 10 while it’s still free. Please refer to my system specs for information. Since the Mobo, processor and everything else on the system predates Windows 10 (and Window 8 for that matter) I’m a little concerned...
  10. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade to Windows 10?: I have an HP Pavilion 20-b010 all-in-one. I'm a little hesitant to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 due to specs of the hp. I know what the Microsoft specs are for 10 but I have concerns that their specs are under rated when it come to the real operation of Windows 10. I would like to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. steps and precautions taken in upgrading an os

2. precautions to take when upgrading an OS