Windows 10: Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger...

Discus and support Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Sort of a finicky issue. This is what usually happens when I try to drag something with the touchpad: 1. I double-tap with one finger on the element... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CosmoNautikal, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger...

Sort of a finicky issue. This is what usually happens when I try to drag something with the touchpad:

1. I double-tap with one finger on the element I want to drag, holding after the second tap.

2. I drag the finger across the touchpad; my cursor and the element moves accordingly.

3. I risk dragging over the edge of the touchpad, so I start dragging with two fingers, one leading, one behind, with the intent of lifting the leading finger and transitioning the drag to the trailing finger.

4. The drag is cancelled because I used two fingers and now the touchpad thinks I'm trying to scroll.

Is there any way to configure the touchpad so that it doesn't look for a scrolling gesture until after the double-tap has been completed? Or to put it another way, so that only one finger is tracked at a time while the user is dragging?

:)

CosmoNautikal, Oct 31, 2020
  2. Thanatica Win User

Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Oct 31, 2020
  3. at3g Win User
    Windows 10 Precision Touchpad 2 Finger Click & Drag

My Dell XPS 13 has a precision touchpad, or in other words, only offers the settings within Start>Settings>...

With a mouse, I often use a right click and drag gesture to access a context menu specific to dragging selected objects from one place to another. In the past, on a touchpad, I have used a 2 finger click (AKA right click) and drag to achieve the same goal
    as mentioned with the mouse.

I have read and understand the available settings for configuring a touchpad within Windows 10. I have set them as they should be:

Gesture Settings:

Allow taps...: Off

Press... lower-right...: Off

Dbl-tap and drag: Off

2-Finger tap right click: Off

2-Finger scroll...: On

2-Finger pinch...: On

Is the gesture that I want unavailable?

Thanks.

4. at3g Win User

Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger...

Windows 10 Precision Touchpad 2 Finger Click & Drag

It's not double tapping.

It is 2-Finger Click and Drag.

Currently I can:

2-Finger Click as a right click just fine.

Scroll/Zoom with 2-Finger Drag/Pinch.

1-Finger Click and drag.

When I try to 2-Finger Click and Drag, it behaves like a 1-Finger Click and drag.

I'm very confident that this is not a driver issue.

I make a living as a software engineer/architect that was a IT/IS administrator for more than a decade. Sorry for stating the creds, but just wanted to qualify the question. I'm not looking for tech support. Trust me, my drivers are up to date.

When I have been able to perform this gesture, the touchpad was using a Synaptics driver package with the additional utility app and settings that come with it. I would think this would be fairly common, since it has always just worked with default settings
    in the past. It seems to be missing from the Windows Settings. Without the synaptics tool (which isn't available, due to the precision touchpad and being stuck with only Windows Settings for configuring it) it seems like I am out of luck..

Thema:

Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger...

1. Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger... - Similar Threads - Precision Touchpad prevent

2. How can I change Touchpad two finger tap function?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change Touchpad two finger tap function?: I have Windows 11, and I am not sure that is possible. I turned off right-click function and I want to use a two-finger tap as a mouse wheel tap. The touchpad is very annoying when I don't have this function. With this mouse wheel tap, it doesn't matter which browser, I can...
  3. How can I change Touchpad two finger tap function?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I change Touchpad two finger tap function?: I have Windows 11, and I am not sure that is possible. I turned off right-click function and I want to use a two-finger tap as a mouse wheel tap. The touchpad is very annoying when I don't have this function. With this mouse wheel tap, it doesn't matter which browser, I can...
  4. Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click: Hi,I have been using two finger tap for middle click for a while with elantech drivers on other PCs but here it isn't available. It wasn't over there either but there was a way to modify settings in regedit. Now, I found the folder for the precision driver in regedit but it...
  5. Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Precision touchpad two finger tap for middle click: Hi,I have been using two finger tap for middle click for a while with elantech drivers on other PCs but here it isn't available. It wasn't over there either but there was a way to modify settings in regedit. Now, I found the folder for the precision driver in regedit but it...
  6. Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Precision Touchpad: How can I prevent double-tap drag from being interrupted by two finger...: Sort of a finicky issue. This is what usually happens when I try to drag something with the touchpad: 1. I double-tap with one finger on the element I want to drag, holding after the second tap. 2. I drag the finger across the touchpad; my cursor and the element moves...
  7. [Precision Touchpad Drivers] Double finger tap without rising all the fingers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Precision Touchpad Drivers] Double finger tap without rising all the fingers: Hi everyone. I was wondering why, to execute a tap with two fingers (right-click touchpad gesture) it is needed to rise the main finger before doing the tap. It would be much more confortable for me to leave the main finger on the touchpad and tap with a second finger. I...
  8. Disable double tap toggle button feature for Microsoft precision touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable double tap toggle button feature for Microsoft precision touchpad: I want to disable this feature but there is no options to. Synaptics touchpads had this option as shown below. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-double-tap-toggle-button-feature-for/503e9d5e-daee-4fcc-9dfb-1f7ece186496
  9. How to disable double tap on touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable double tap on touchpad: After this new Windows 10 update I cannot find the settings to turn off touchpad double tap feature. Its annoying that Microsoft has changed the layout of windows when there was no need to. Before the update is was very easy to do. Please can someone show me how to turn...
  10. Double tap to drag without losing double tap to select

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double tap to drag without losing double tap to select: Hello! New laptop, new touchpad. Found the "Tap twice and drag to multi-select" feature. I want to be able to do two things: 1) Double tap on a word to select the entire word 2) Double tap and drag (on whatever; e.g. a scrollbar) to drag the thing If I turn ON "Tap...