Windows 10: Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new...

Discus and support Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; So I'll start off by listing my specs and then describe the current state of affairs. Intel Core i5 4690K MSI Z97A Gaming 7 motherboard MSI Radeon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by cstone634, Oct 30, 2019.

1. cstone634 Win User

Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new...

So I'll start off by listing my specs and then describe the current state of affairs.

Intel Core i5 4690K

MSI Z97A Gaming 7 motherboard

MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G

Kingston HyperX Savage 2x8GB 1866MHz DDR3

Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB system drive, Seagate 2TB 7200RPM hard drive

Up-to-date non-insider windows build, BIOS and all system drivers up to date

This problem originated the other day when I started getting random freezes upon starting the machine after a windows update. Disabling AppXSvc fixed this particular issue but another fix I tried before this was updating my Radeon graphics drivers from 19.7.5 to the new WHQL build, 19.9.2. The update utility got to the "checking for new drivers" stage then after a few seconds the machine completely froze requiring a reboot. Bad sign, I thought, but I did my best to research this issue and find what could be causing it. I defaulted to clearing the old drivers with DDU and then installing from scratch, and when this didn't work I realised I was stuck without graphics drivers. I did a system restore to bring them back. A pretty heavy-handed solution but the only one available to me. I tried installing them whilst using the onboard graphics; same issue.

When performing the restore this time, something must have gone horribly wrong, as the system would boot but not get past the (now blue) lock screen and the recovery partition wouldn't load either. I created a recovery drive and reinstalled windows from there, which only worked the second time after Windows finally decided to do a disk check. It installed to my hard disk instead of the old system drive without asking, so I cloned it across and then ran SFC and DISM to clear up any errors that might have arisen there. This time I manage to get the graphics drivers installed, by manually pointing to the package in device manager. Then, running the software installer with a /NCRC command I managed to get the software installed separately. I disabled AppXSvc as the old freezes during or shortly after logon had reappeared. All was finally well I thought, until Steam wouldn't launch, citing a bad image error in the detoured.dll.

As a last-ditch effort, I tried to install the 19.10.2 beta driver, but the system crashed during the installation and I needed to run startup repair and system restore to get it running again. System restore cited an error, which I didn't bother to note as I thought I would need to try again, but it was something about a file in system32/drivers that failed to restore. Then the system boots, Steam springs into life and the drivers are intact. A one-off BSOD playing Dota 2 was rectified by updating network drivers, but the system still crashes trying to update graphics drivers, and funnily enough, Logitech G Hub.

Right now the system functions as I need it to, but I'm worrying every moment about it freezing trying to do something, and if it's caused by something more sinister I obviously want to get to the root of the issue. I considered checking my memory; both Windows Memory Diagnostics and memtest (not 86; the one that runs in Windows) didn't pick up any issues. The only thing I could think of would be to change slots, but surely a DIMM slot is either working or it's not?

If this is a known issue with the current Windows update I'm happy to wait for a new one. Any advice either way would be appreciated as I'm reaching the end of fixes that I can find.

Regards, Chris

:)

cstone634, Oct 30, 2019
  2. Rose Ter Win User

Windows Bad Image error

Hi Laura,

To better assist you regarding the “Windows bad Image error message” on your computer, please clarify the following:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Since when are you experiencing the issue?
    • Is it still an ongoing issue on your computer?
    • Any recent changes made prior to the issue?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Oct 30, 2019
  3. RolandJS Win User
    Windows 10 PC keeps freezing/crashing - hard disk 'has a bad block'?

There is no way to predict when a HD fails completely. I just recommend doing routine OS and Data partition backups -- as a habit.

RolandJS, Oct 30, 2019
  4. Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new...

Hidden Window: CNQMMAIN>EXE - Bad Image error message

Hello,

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Were there any recent changes made prior to this issue?

Furthermore, a bad Image error occurs if there's an interruption to the system process or a corrupted file that affects the system. To isolate the issue, we suggest that you run the
    System File Checker (SFC) tool. It's a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows
    system files and restore corrupted files.

You may also check the answer from Andre Da Costa in this
    thread
    regarding Hidden Window: CNQMMAIN.EXE - Bad Image error message.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new...

1. Predictable hard freezing, bad image errors and generally badly behaved Windows on new... - Similar Threads - Predictable hard freezing

2. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Image error: Every time I try to open CurseForge, I get the following error:VTableHolderWndProc: OverwolfHelper.exe - bad imageC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using the original installation...
  3. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Image error: Every time I try to open CurseForge, I get the following error:VTableHolderWndProc: OverwolfHelper.exe - bad imageC:\WINDOWS\system32\nvspcap.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. try installing the program again using the original installation...
  4. Bad Image error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Error - Bad Image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error - Bad Image: Hi everyone, I have an error popping up when I start my laptop windows 10 and at other random times. I attached a screenshot at the end. Is there any quick fix for it? Thanks for any answers! Best regards Yuri [ATTACH]...
  6. Bad image error

Bad image error: I have not been on my laptop for a little while and just ended up cutting it on and the bad image error popped up, i cant even log in, it says the error status is 0xc000012f. I have tried to look and see anyway i could fix it, and all the things ive looked at you have to be...
  7. Bad Image error

Bad Image error: This problem suddenly popped up a few days ago and I already tried troubleshooting it myself by re-installing the indicated file that was supposed to be corrupted but the problem was still there. I also tried using the command prompt by entering "sfc/scannow" which I thought...
  8. Bad image error

Bad image error: I cannot able to install games and some software. The error is Bad image, C:\Windows\system32\DWrite.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system...
  9. Bad image error

Bad image error: Hi, I installed Adobe Digital Editions the other day and every time I execute the program I get a "Bad image"-error for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\amdihk32.dll I have googled and tried to find a solution for this, but without any success. It is only for Adobe Digital Editions I...
  10. New users behaving badly

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New users behaving badly: Last week I upgraded my mom's Windows 8.1 laptop to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. (this being a celeron 1,7ghz with only 4GB memory took forever.) Anyway when it was done, I tried adding a new user. First issue with the new user is that the Start menu wouldn't...