Windows 10: Prefered DNS Resetting

Discus and support Prefered DNS Resetting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ok so recently bought I wireless card for my pc and I re-setup my static IP which I need for port forwarding, This worked fine for a while until I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Atromix, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Atromix Win User

Prefered DNS Resetting

Ok so recently bought I wireless card for my pc and I re-setup my static IP which I need for port forwarding, This worked fine for a while until I started getting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN errors on my browser, So I check my DNS and my Prefered and alternate DNS Boxes are empty, so I type in 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and leave, I still get the same error so I go back and the boxes are empty again, this happens every time so people can't join my server and I can't use the internet. So I have to use a dynamic IP, which won't let people join either. Anyone know how to fix the DNS problem?

:)

Atromix, Sep 27, 2016

2. DNS Error

IP and DNS Setting

Type ncpa.cpl in Windows start > Right click on your network > Properties > Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Hit properties > Make sure below ones are checked

Obtain an IP Address Automatically

Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

You can also try Google DNS

Select Use the following DNS Server Addresses

Preferred DNS Server - 8.8.8.8

ALternate DNS Server - 8.8.4.4

Try Open DNS

Preferred DNS server : 208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS server : 208.67.220.220

E for Excel, Sep 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 hosted network hotspot problem

Try changing the DNS address on the iPad. Set up Google DNS:

8.8.8.8 (preferred)

8.8.4.4 (alternative

franco d'esaro, Sep 27, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

Prefered DNS Resetting

Are you setting the DNS servers in the device or in the router?

If you have the DNS server address in the router, (or the server if this is used for routing), then leaving the device entry blank should default to the Router/Server address

I have actually pointed devices to the local router which is itself pointed at the actual DNS server, where the device has to have an entry, so that I only have to update one location should I need to alter the server address in use

Barman58, Sep 27, 2016
  5. Try using NetSetMan, it should be able to lock the current profile.

TairikuOkami, Sep 27, 2016
  6. Atromix Win User
    I'm setting the DNS servers on my device because I'm trying to host a game server, and I tried using NetSetMan and the DNS still changed.

Atromix, Sep 27, 2016
  7. Try to temporarily disable your security software. It might be trying to prevent changes for security reasons.

But as Barman58 stated, when you setup DNS servers in your router, it will automatically use router's DNS.

One more thing, try to disable DNS Client service, but if it switches back to automatic, you will have to enable it.

To disable, run CMD as admin and copy/paste:
    sc config Dnscache start= disabled
    net stop Dnscache /y

To enable, run CMD as admin and copy/paste:
    sc config Dnscache start= auto
    net start Dnscache

TairikuOkami, Sep 27, 2016
  8. Atromix Win User

Prefered DNS Resetting

I tried disabling DNS client and the only difference it made was that the DNS would stay for about 20 seconds and then disappear, this is with avast disabled. Also when I enabled DNS client I get this message: "The requested service has already been started" Does this have something to do with it?

Atromix, Sep 28, 2016
  9. Atromix Win User
    Ok so I did some more testing and It seems that if I disable DNS Client service, It works fine but then the DNS client enables itself and it stops working again. Why does this happen? The system also states sometimes that the service has already been enabled when I try to enable it even though it is disabled and that it is already disabled when I try to disable it even though it has just been enabled.

Atromix, Sep 29, 2016
  10. It seems, that whatever is changing DNS is also starting the service, even when it is disabled.
    I have never seen Windows do this, to this service anyway, so it has to be some other software.

You said, you have tried disabling Avast, but I guess, you have only disabled virus protection?
    It has tons of modules, even free version, which could do this, like Home Network Security.
    Disable all its modules or uninstall it temporarily to exclude it as a cause for good.

TairikuOkami, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Prefered DNS Resetting

1. Prefered DNS Resetting - Similar Threads - Prefered DNS Resetting

2. How to reset Windows Spotlight settings/preferences?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to reset Windows Spotlight settings/preferences?: I have the Windows Spotlight lock screen with rotating images. A while ago I clicked "dislike" on an AI image of desert. But I think instead of training Spotlight to not display AI images, it stopped it from showing any images of desert or landscapes that looked similar. Is...
  3. How to reset Windows Spotlight settings/preferences?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reset Windows Spotlight settings/preferences?: I have the Windows Spotlight lock screen with rotating images. A while ago I clicked "dislike" on an AI image of desert. But I think instead of training Spotlight to not display AI images, it stopped it from showing any images of desert or landscapes that looked similar. Is...
  4. How to reset Windows Spotlight settings/preferences?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Default apps and preferences resetting after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Default apps and preferences resetting after update: I just recently installed Windows 10 on my new pc and it already had an update, after the update the following happen after I turn my computer on: -default apps reset to Windows defaults -Chrome browser resets and logs me out of Google accounts -personalization settings...
  6. App volume and device preferences keeps resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    App volume and device preferences keeps resetting: Hello, So I've been struggling with this issue for a while now. I found that win 10 has in their advanced sound settings the option to allocate different audio devices to certain apps. For example I'm using digital driver cables which let me split the sound of my system...
  7. Every PC Using and "automatically" Resetting a Loopback DNS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Every PC Using and "automatically" Resetting a Loopback DNS: I am baffled by my PC loopback DNS scenario. I will be the first to state that this is totally new to me so I understand not a speck of it. I would deeply appreciate if anyone answering my post would PLEASE explain, beginning with the "basics". I have more than 10 PC's in...
  8. How to make obtaining DNS automatically and user preferred DNS work at the same time?

How to make obtaining DNS automatically and user preferred DNS work at the same time?: Hi all, I customized my preferred DNS server to 1.1.1.1 and alternate 8.8.8.8. However, when I connect to the campus WiFi of my university, the student account validation page cannot be resolved because it only exists in the intranet. I changed the DNS setting to "Obtain a...
  9. Change Preferred DNS server

Change Preferred DNS server: Hello have fresh installation Windows 10 (up to date), version 1803, build 17134.320 In network configuration Prefered DNS server always has value 172.0.0.1. I make the change to my need and after save and flush DNS ipconfig /flushdns value get back to 172.0.0.1 Thank you...
  10. DNS and gateway unavailable- constant resetting of wireless adapter

DNS and gateway unavailable- constant resetting of wireless adapter: Hello, I have been having a constant issue with my Dell XPS L702 laptop dropping the WiFi connection. I have to constantly reset the adapter because I get errors that rotate between "DNS Unavailable" and "Gateway unavailable". When I troubleshoot the connection, Windows...