Windows 10: Preferred apps for opening files - in Windows 10

Discus and support Preferred apps for opening files - in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 - and I open a file - a document, or a spreadsheet, or a pdf - and a box pops up asking how I want to open this file. And in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Max2607, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Max2607 Win User

Preferred apps for opening files - in Windows 10

I'm using Windows 10 - and I open a file - a document, or a spreadsheet, or a pdf - and a box pops up asking how I want to open this file. And in the box I can select to use the selected app every time I open a file of that type. But it does not seem to remember.

I select Word as the app to use for a doc file ... even opening the same file I have to do the selection again ... and again ... and again.

Same with xls and pdf files - and probably the whole lot.

Can anyone help?

:)

Max2607, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Preferred apps for opening files - in Windows 10 :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Jetster Win User

Jetster, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Preferred apps for opening files - in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Preferred apps opening

2. Unable to Open Language Preferences

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Open Language Preferences: Hello there. I have a problem with language preferences in the taskbar , when I open it I get a black cmd window for a momentas in the image below then I can't access the preferences. [ATTACH]...
  3. Can't open printer preferences Windows 10

Can't open printer preferences Windows 10: We upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 1909, 18363.720 and now I cannot access printer preferences. No matter which printer I try or which application, if I select "Printer Properties" or "Printer Preferences," where you can choose paper size and color management options, etc. not...
  4. GPU preference for apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU preference for apps: I have NVIDIA GeForce MX 130 GPU in my laptop but still in the graphics settings tab, in the high performance GPU it shows the Intel's integrated GPU. While playing games I want the dedicated GPU to start. How to do?[ATTACH]...
  5. "Open with" preferences won't stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open with" preferences won't stick: Hello everybody, whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours, and then it reverts back to whatever Windows sees fit (i.e. Edge for PDFs, Photos for images...). This has been going on for a...
  6. "Open with" preferences won't stick

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open with" preferences won't stick: Hello everybody, whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours, and then it reverts back to whatever Windows sees fit (i.e. Edge for PDFs, Photos for images...). This has been going on for a...
  7. how do I open a file (winmail.dat) with my preferred ptogram (NOT with a app - witha program)?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I open a file (winmail.dat) with my preferred ptogram (NOT with a app - witha program)?: how do I open a file (winmail.dat) with my preferred ptogram (NOT with a app - witha program)? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-open-a-file-winmaildat-with-my-preferred/bf207c31-c6a8-4d93-98dc-c278e9ae4a84"
  8. WINDOWS 10 PREFERENCES TO "OPEN A FILE WITH"

WINDOWS 10 PREFERENCES TO "OPEN A FILE WITH": In Windows 7 there was a preference area to customize what program to open a file with. Where is that feature on 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-preferences-to-open-a-file-with/831e85e7-054d-46a9-a418-6db8cab6624c
  9. File "Opens with" preference not getting saved

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File "Opens with" preference not getting saved: Issues : I have a python file (".py"). I am trying to make "Visual Studio Code" as its default editor, so that each time I open double click the python file, it opens up in "Visual Studio Code". I have tried the following way and nothing is helping.. 1) a) Double click...
  10. Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10: How to: Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 How to Set Preferred GPU for Apps in Windows 10 Starting with Windows 10 build 17093, Microsoft is introducing a new Graphics settings page for Multi-GPU systems that allows you to manage the graphics performance preference...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. opening files apps

2. preferred applications in windows 10

3. preferred apps

4. preferred applications windows,
  5. preferred apps windows 10,
  6. preferred opening with,
  7. preferred open application windows 10,
  8. preferred application windows 10,
  9. how to change preferential app to open pdf windows 10,
  10. windows 10 opening files applications,
  11. preferred applications windows 10,