Windows 10: Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Discus and support Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by marv, Aug 4, 2015.

1. marv Win User

Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Hello,

when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN.

I tried to change network adapters order in ncpa.cpl, but it does not seem to be working. It displays still same order despite of how I change it and confirm with OK.

Checking in regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Linkage\Bind,
    after connecting VPN, one entry gets added on top of the list, I assume that is dialed connection.

Setting DNS servers manually in VPN does not work, I am unable to edit procotol settings in VPN connection.

Anyone have some solution for this ?

:)

marv, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Shenan Stanley, Aug 4, 2015
  3. exfer Win User
    UMA on 6086 within the T-Mobile USA Network

This is absolutely true, as the phone creates a VPN connection and T-Mobile's "VPN" server would assign it a new set of IP address and DNS servers.

The original DNS server is required to resolve the name of the "VPN" Server.

exfer, Aug 4, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

What software are you using for the VPN connection?

bro67, Aug 4, 2015
  5. marv Win User
    builtin in windows. I tried IKEv2 and L2TP/ipsec, both behave same way.

marv, Aug 4, 2015
  6. The problem is actually from the vpn providers side, not yours.

I provide custom made vpn servers designed for security, that solves this problem your facing too (.com).

I created a trial ovpn certificate for you to prove to you once connected using our vpn servers, your problem is gone

dropbox link to ovpn file:
    Dropbox - myrred.ovpn

username: marv
    password: marv

PS, supported protocols (L2TP/IPSEC(PSK), SSTP, OpenVPN)

speedwayvpn, Aug 9, 2015
  7. I am having this same issue. I don't require any extra "Services." I want to know how to fix this "Windows" problem. I am using pptp to vpn into an office network. When my vpn connects to the network, The internet connection drops on the active network connection.

abienvenue86, Aug 10, 2015
  8. marv Win User

I am using my own vpn server to connect to my home network and server was pushing dns servers to client, as they were visible in connection details when connected, but thanks. Besides, in Windows 7 is everything working.

I found workaround on technet forums.

Edit manually file
    C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk

in desired connection, add dns server IPs in lines
    IpDnsAddress=
    IpDns2Address=

After that, system resolves my internal DNS entries.

marv, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak) - Similar Threads - Preferrence DNS servers

2. DNS servers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS servers: How to resolve "device or resource DNS server is not responding"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dns-servers/eae05c07-dbdd-4697-b4d7-32fa54b1a6e5
  3. DNS Servers

DNS Servers: i cannot connect to the internet even though my laptop tells me i am connected when i try anything it keeps telling me DNS servers not working/connecting. i have tryed hard wire connection still nothing.im on a windows 11 but microsoft updated windows 10 2 days ago and...
  4. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dns server issue: In the last month or two I’ve been having constant dns server issue. I have tried almost every solution under the sun without any luck. These are the things that I have tried.1. Troubleshooting2. Flushing dns cache, register, renew, reset, winsock reset, ipv4 ipv6 reset in...
  5. Dns server issue

Dns server issue: In the last month or two I’ve been having constant dns server issue. I have tried almost every solution under the sun without any luck. These are the things that I have tried.1. Troubleshooting2. Flushing dns cache, register, renew, reset, winsock reset, ipv4 ipv6 reset in...
  6. Dns server issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. DNS server

in Windows 10 Customization
    DNS server: I have internet and can get into everything except Facebook. It keeps coming up with a DNS server problem. Everyone in the building can get on, but me. I have tried everything the internet said to do, to no avail....
  8. Dns Server & Firewall Issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dns Server & Firewall Issue: sometime the web pages stop loading and internet drop, after few second come back again. My router log dont report any adsl drop, and my ISP checked my line and it's fine. Sometime on the event viewer i found id event 1014, reset connection, upgrade lan driver dont help. I...
  9. DNS SERVER ISSUE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS SERVER ISSUE: We have a issue where in the particular website use to open but recently that website has went through certain changes and the i.p address of it is also changed. when we try to open that website the followin error occurs[ATTACH] kindly help us with the solution...
  10. Windows 10 under vpn leak isp dns

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 under vpn leak isp dns: The problem with Windows 10 under VPN at check on the websites dnsleaktest or other I see IP VPN of service but DNS which has to be VPN of service I see DNS of the provider. I tried 3 different provider, 3 different VPN of service and all the same problem I see the DNS. A...