Windows 10: . prefixed folders get lost when zipped

Discus and support . prefixed folders get lost when zipped in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi,I've just found out a strange behaviour with the onboard zipping tool of Windows 10. I use the Build 19043.1110. When zipping a folder which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Martin Gawlita, Aug 12, 2021.

1. . prefixed folders get lost when zipped

Hi,I've just found out a strange behaviour with the onboard zipping tool of Windows 10. I use the Build 19043.1110. When zipping a folder which contains 2 or more folders which are prefixed with a dot ., for example ".aaa", ".git" or ".vscode" only the first folder is visible in the zip archive. The other 2 folders are lost after the folder is zipped. Does the zip tool behave like this by design?Other tools like 7Zip behave don't behave like this.Best,Martin

:)

Martin Gawlita, Aug 12, 2021
  2. GSquadron Win User

Folders with zip files

I have like 30 or more folders and everyone of them has only one single zip file.
    How can I extract all zip files inside of all folders?

GSquadron, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Transfering photos from a zipped folder to another folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are trying to transfer photos from a zipped folder to another folder. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

You can use the Extract option to transfer the files from a zipped folder to another location. To do this refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location of zipped folder.
    2. Right click on the zipped folder and select
      Extract All
      , and follow the instructions.

For more information, see
    Zip and unzip files

If you receive access denied error when accessing the folders, refer the steps mentioned in the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 12, 2021
  4. digibucc Win User

. prefixed folders get lost when zipped

Folders with zip files

just go to the root folder and do a search for all zip files, then select all and extract where you want.

digibucc, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

. prefixed folders get lost when zipped

1. . prefixed folders get lost when zipped - Similar Threads - prefixed folders lost

2. Folder not zipping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder not zipping: Hi,so I have a work folder that's quite large that won't zip, i can press the zip button but nothing happens, no error message at all. I updated windows and restarted my laptop but nothing has changed. Can anyone help?...
  3. Folder not zipping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder not zipping: Hi,so I have a work folder that's quite large that won't zip, i can press the zip button but nothing happens, no error message at all. I updated windows and restarted my laptop but nothing has changed. Can anyone help?...
  4. Zipped Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Zipped Folders: 1. I get this message after I tried to cut and paste 2,000+ images from a zipped folder to a new folder. I tried following both methods from this thread:...
  5. Zipped Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Zipped Folders: 1. I get this message after I tried to cut and paste 2,000+ images from a zipped folder to a new folder. I tried following both methods from this thread:...
  6. Zip folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zip folders: I'm having some problems with my zip folders on my USB Drive E:. When I try downloading the zip folders from my class's website, I get multiple error messages.When I try opening them up from the zip folder, I get these error messages:When I try to extract the files from the...
  7. Zip a folder

Zip a folder: I am using windows 10. I need to zip a folder. I made right click on it and select send to compressed zip folder.I received an error message which says "unable to complete the operation. The access is denied". Please how can solve this issue?...
  8. Zipped folders

Zipped folders: hi, i am trying to figure out how to unzip folders on my computer. I need to do it to add music i made onto itunes... can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zipped-folders/69b94fea-1059-4083-b840-0791ddb6f0a1"
  9. zip to folder

in Windows 10 Support
    zip to folder: How do you change compressed (zip) folders into regular folders with out loosing anything? I downloaded a bunch of stuff and it is all in zip folders. Is there a reason I should keep them zipped, I have plenty of space. 43464
  10. zip folder

in Windows 10 Support
    zip folder: Does Ten create zip folder automatically depend on size of files? Ten made zip folder when I made new folder and saved three pictures. 82121