Windows 10: Preparing for 1909 upgrade

Discus and support Preparing for 1909 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have recently began experiencing some OS issues in my i7-3630QM HP laptop, running Windows 10 Home x64 v1809. I am confident that it is an OS, not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Davidb4775, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Preparing for 1909 upgrade

I have recently began experiencing some OS issues in my i7-3630QM HP laptop, running Windows 10 Home x64 v1809. I am confident that it is an OS, not hardware issuelong boot times, cross linked files, logging out of account going to a black screen, certain updates not installing, losing ownership rights, etc. During the process of trying to fix these problems, I saw that I have a v1909 option-to download and install.

I have started taking steps to resolve the issues (including sfc) but am still having some problems. Based on having an older version, is installing 1909 a complete overwrite of 1809 or a patch job? For obvious reasons, I dont want to patch over a base v1809 with issues. I have also considered resetting the computer (not factory reset) in the hopes of keeping data files in place prior to updating.

What I do from this point will depend on the behavior of the 1909 installation. I would hope that a overwrite install of 1909 would wipe 1809, its associated problems and solve my problems.

:)

Davidb4775, Jun 17, 2020
  2. swarfega Win User

preparing to upgrade

You can try following this guide. I suggest either step 4 or step 7.

swarfega, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jun 17, 2020
  4. deving Win User

Preparing for 1909 upgrade

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

Preparing for 1909 upgrade

1. Preparing for 1909 upgrade - Similar Threads - Preparing 1909 upgrade

2. CPU Upgrade Preparations

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CPU Upgrade Preparations: Hello,I have finally committed to upgrading my current cpu i7 4790k to an i7 10700k. Doing so will require that I replace the ram and motherboard. Are there any preparations that need to be made in windows before I replace my processor? Any help is appreciated!...
  3. 1909 to 2004 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    1909 to 2004 upgrade: W10 Home user on 1909 currently. Is 2004 upgrade now considered good to go? If I try to upgrade to 20H2, will that automatically also install 2004? 166752
  4. preparation for upgrade to Windows 10

preparation for upgrade to Windows 10: I need to know details about backing up the data on my PC before I begin to download and install the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10... is there a "recovery" or "restore" procedure that I should follow first? is there a program that I can run to confirm that my system is...
  5. 1909 upgrade problem

1909 upgrade problem: After the upgrade to 1909 version for windows 10, file explorer launches when pc is turned on. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/1909-upgrade-problem/58d7d6f6-51a2-4bcd-9ee7-9bbe44118bee
  6. Upgrade to 1909

Upgrade to 1909: My Windows 10 laptop is running Windows version 1809. I have been told to upgrade to version 1909 but others have told me not to do this because there are problems with 1909. So what should I do?...
  7. Can't upgrade to 1909

Can't upgrade to 1909: I did try to upgrade it from the Microsoft website which it doesn't work also so how will ur recommend me to do because ive no more idea what to do this method it doesn't work another method also doesn't work....
  8. preparing to upgrade

preparing to upgrade: Finished the w10 d/l. Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'. It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now. Is that how it's suppose to work? Does 'preparing to upgrade' really mean it's installing? 38516
  9. Preparing for a Future Free Upgrade

Preparing for a Future Free Upgrade: 100 days from today, the free upgrade off ends. If I were to install a free copy of 10 onto a thumb drive (or DVD), and then buy a used 7 or 8 laptop after the free upgrade offer expires, could I install 10 for free from the thumb drive? 47869
  10. Preparing for W10 Upgrade?

Preparing for W10 Upgrade?: How should I prepare for Windows 10 upgrade on this PC? Specs: AMD Athlon x4 860K @ 4GHz Nvidia Geforce GTX 750Ti 1TB 7200RPM HDD 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 current OS Why do I ask this? Well, the last time I attempted the upgrade..I...