Windows 10: Preparing for Windows 10

Discus and support Preparing for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I cant wait to get WIndows 10, i reserved my copy for desktop and laptop. I have currently Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. My question is if anyone can help,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mn072065, Jul 1, 2015.

1. mn072065 Win User

Preparing for Windows 10

I cant wait to get WIndows 10, i reserved my copy for desktop and laptop. I have currently Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. My question is if anyone can help, When i do a clean format and install windows 10, is it ok to use my backup image of windows 8.1 and install it over the new clean format of windows 10? Will i have any issues? Or its best to re-install my stuff one by one, i never did before a clean OS install then add an image thereafter, i appreciate any info, thanks

:)

mn072065, Jul 1, 2015

2. preparing for windows 10 upgrade

Hello Okey!

If you're planning on installing the latest insider build, i would like to inform you the installation experience has been varied on different users. Some people reported black screen after starting installation. So, I suggest you do a clean install since
    SD card wouldn't help. Move your data to a laptop and reset your device before upgrading! Happy upgrading mate!

Cheers!

Georgy Thomas, Jul 1, 2015
  3. preparing for windows 10 upgrade

<p>Hello everyone</p><p>windows 10 upgrade needs about 8GB internal memory but my Lumia 535 has 1G RAM with 8GB internal memory .how can I make more space available for the upgrade when available?do I need an SD card or reset the phone to make more storage
    space available (NB some system software can't be easily deleted).</p><p>thanks </p>

Okey HenryUcheji, Jul 1, 2015
  4. richc46 Win User

Preparing for Windows 10

If I understand correctly you plan to do a clean install of 10 and then use an image of 8 over it. If I am correct all you will have is 8 on your computer. It is best to do a clean install, download your software and then make an image and save it. You should also make images every week or so. If you ever have a problem, you always have the current image. If you want a clean install, format and use the first image made, its like a clean install. All your software will be preinstalled.

richc46, Jul 1, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    If you install an image of 8.1 over 10, you'll be back to 8.1. It'll blow away 10 completely.

I believe that the download of 10 will install as an upgrade over 8.1. I'm not sure that you'll be given the option to do a clean install.

I've long held the belief that a clean install is the best way to avoid getting corruption in a newly installed OS, but it's a lot more work than an upgrade as all of the applications must be re-installed.

It has been stated that Microsoft will provide updaters a way to do an install on a blank hard drive, without installing the qualifying OS first. No information has been released on that yet, as far as I have read. I'm skeptical: no such path was ever officially released for Win 7 or Win 8. (My guess: there will be work-arounds that are never officially supported. Just like for installing Windows 8.1 on a blank hard drive using only a Windows 8 upgrade license.)

bobkn, Jul 1, 2015
  6. mn072065 Win User
    Thank you all for the feedback, i hope i can do a clean install when its available to registered users, i image every two days, but i have all my software installed when i do them. When i do a clean install, i always keep the first initial clean install with all updates and save it in case i need in future, but thanks again all.

mn072065, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Preparing for Windows 10

1. Preparing for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Preparing

2. My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...: I am running Windows 10, my laptop froze and rebooted into Stop Code. I’ve tried SFC scans that don’t work. I’ve tried resetting the PC, it won’t allow me to. I’ve tried various CMD prompts given in previous QnAs on Microsoft. Most of them can’t run. I’ve tried leaving my PC...
  3. My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...: I am running Windows 10, my laptop froze and rebooted into Stop Code. I’ve tried SFC scans that don’t work. I’ve tried resetting the PC, it won’t allow me to. I’ve tried various CMD prompts given in previous QnAs on Microsoft. Most of them can’t run. I’ve tried leaving my PC...
  4. My laptop won’t start up. “preparing Automatic Repair” or STOPCODE esif_if.sys or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Preparing automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preparing automatic repair loop: So this morning my Gateway laptop stopped working. When i booted it up it showed the logo like normal but then it said "preparing automatic repair". Then it went to a blue screen and when it tried to restart, the same thing happened again. I have had this issue for about 8...
  6. Preparing automatic repair loop

Preparing automatic repair loop: So this morning my Gateway laptop stopped working. When i booted it up it showed the logo like normal but then it said "preparing automatic repair". Then it went to a blue screen and when it tried to restart, the same thing happened again. I have had this issue for about 8...
  7. my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair: i have a hpcomputer and it will not stop going to the blue screen just need some assistance please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-preparing-automatic-repair/a89d2788-1b62-4e67-beb3-463e69a1c29f
  8. my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair

my computer is stuck on preparing automatic repair: i have a hpcomputer and it will not stop going to the blue screen just need some assistance please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-is-stuck-on-preparing-automatic-repair/a89d2788-1b62-4e67-beb3-463e69a1c29f
  9. My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop: I guess I should at start from the beginning I purchased a CPU online with a os system, I purchased a 1tb. hard drive with windows 10 os, installed windows 10 booted fine I was online for about 5 minutes when I was in the process of syncing my password over to microsoft when...
  10. My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop

My Computer is stuck in "preparing For Automatic Repair" loop: I guess I should at start from the beginning I purchased a CPU online with a os system, I purchased a 1tb. hard drive with windows 10 os, installed windows 10 booted fine I was online for about 5 minutes when I was in the process of syncing my password over to microsoft when...