Windows 10: Preparing to install every time I open file explorer or call command prompt as admin

Discus and support Preparing to install every time I open file explorer or call command prompt as admin in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I needed to update Windows, but the updater told me of a conflict with McAfee Endpoint Security provided by my uni, so the corporate version, I guess.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SergeyShpectorov, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Preparing to install every time I open file explorer or call command prompt as admin

I needed to update Windows, but the updater told me of a conflict with McAfee Endpoint Security

provided by my uni, so the corporate version, I guess. I tried to uninstall that but failed completely,

it just wouldn't uninstall. Eventually I tried Windows Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter

which happily reported back that it succeeded uninstalling all components of McAfee. However,

on restart I discovered that McAfee was still running, it just disappeared from the list of installed

programs.

What's worse, now whenever I click on file explorer or try to run command prompt as administrator,

this immediately causes a little Windows Installer window to pop up with "Preparing to install" in it

and this freezes all other functions. Whether this fails after a long while or whether I interrupt it,

this behavior restarts right away just as soon as I try to hit file explorer or command prompt works

in the usual regime, but not as admin. It also starts by itself sometimes. Starting the computer

in the safe mode does not help either--same behavior.

Would appreciate a good advice--I am at the end of my tether. Need this HP laptop for work

from home.

:)

SergeyShpectorov, Jan 8, 2021

2. File Explorer not opening via pinned Taskbar icon on Windows 10

Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I apologies for delay in reply. I will certainly help you with this.

I suggest you to unpin the File explorer from the task bar and re-pin the File Explorer and check If issue is resolved. If issue persist, I suggest you to follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Please post back with the results, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 8, 2021
  3. cwtech Win User
    command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Jan 8, 2021
  4. cwtech Win User

Preparing to install every time I open file explorer or call command prompt as admin

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Preparing to install every time I open file explorer or call command prompt as admin

1. Preparing to install every time I open file explorer or call command prompt as admin - Similar Threads - Preparing install every

2. File Explorer buffers every time I open a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer buffers every time I open a file: Not sure if anyone's had this issue before, everything on my PC is working fine but any time I open any folder in file explorer it buffers for a couple seconds before opening the file. I've tried restarting folder explorer from task manager, clearing caches, cleaning up my C...
  3. File Explorer buffers every time I open a file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer buffers every time I open a file: Not sure if anyone's had this issue before, everything on my PC is working fine but any time I open any folder in file explorer it buffers for a couple seconds before opening the file. I've tried restarting folder explorer from task manager, clearing caches, cleaning up my C...
  4. File Explorer buffers every time I open a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Command prompt opening at random times and running commands

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt opening at random times and running commands: Same issue as seen in this other thread and I have already done everything else stated besides downloading Malwarebytes and doing a full scan but I have run Windows Defender with no results of malware and I'm just creating a new thread like stated at the end of the thread....
  6. Command prompt opening at random times and running commands

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt opening at random times and running commands: Same issue as seen in this other thread and I have already done everything else stated besides downloading Malwarebytes and doing a full scan but I have run Windows Defender with no results of malware and I'm just creating a new thread like stated at the end of the thread....
  7. Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu: @Brink VBS files have, by default, a context menu to Open with command prompt. I would like to add an additional option to Open with command prompt as admin. The command to open VBS files, standard privileges, is something like Code: cmd.exe...
  8. Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot open task manager, run command prompt as admin, or open installer exe files: A recent update may have caused this, but overall I am not 100% sure. I went to open up Task Manager and when I did the prompt "The code execution cannot proceed because credui.dll was not found." So I went to look up solutions and one was a system scan through opening the...
  9. "Windows Installer/Preparing to install" prompt pops up every time I right-click on a...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Windows Installer/Preparing to install" prompt pops up every time I right-click on a...: Every time I right click, a "Windows Installer/Preparing to install" prompt pops up. I press cancel and it takes forever to cancel, freezing up my system. I have to go into Task Manager and restart Windows Explorer to quickly recover from this. No malware has been found....
  10. Command prompt as admin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command prompt as admin: i am locked out of windows by Bitlocker. I never installed Bitlocker so how it ended up on the PC I dont know but as a result, i do not have the key. I know how to look up the key if I run command prompt as admin. I can of course get to command prompt via troubleshoot....