Windows 10: Preparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety)

Discus and support Preparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Ok so this is my "System 2" computer as listed in my profile. HP Compaq 8200 Elite Microtower Win 10 64 bit OS - ver 21H1 Biostar SSD 512GM (System C:)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by smartcooky, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Preparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety)

Ok so this is my "System 2" computer as listed in my profile. HP Compaq 8200 Elite Microtower Win 10 64 bit OS - ver 21H1 Biostar SSD 512GM (System CPreparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety) :) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB (Data DPreparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety) :) Like all my systems, I have Macrium Reflect set up as a boot option to on board Rescue Media that runs Windows PE Here is what happens 1. On restart when Windows starts up, I get the black screen with Win 10 logo and tail chaser, and underneath it says "Preparing to repair". 2. Screen goes black, then pops up blue with the following options (Repair Menu?) Continue Use a Device Use Another Operating System Troubleshoot Turn off your PC 3. None of the troubleshooting options work, and when I restart, the whole process repeats... 4. BUT if I choose "Use a Device", among the options listed there is the Biostar S120 512GB.SSD... which is the C: system drive. If I choose that, the system proceeds to my Macrium Reflect/WIndows 10 option screen, and if I choose Windows 10, it all boots up just fine and everything seems to be fully functional. 5. I ran the following CHKDSK /R C: SFC /SCANNOW DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image / CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth None of these found any issues, but I thought I would take the obvious next step DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth But it gave no indication of anything being fixed, and restarting shows the same problem "preparig to repair", and I have to boot through the "Repair menu" The only thing I have done recently was about a week ago, I installed the Biostar 512GB SSD. I did that by using Macrium Reflect to back up the previous C: drive (a Seagate Barracuda 7200 500 GB HDD and restore it to the Biostar 512 GB SSD. The system has been operating fine for a week. The fact that it boots up and works fine through the "Repair menu" would seem to indicate that the OS is not broken, so why does it say it needs to repair? Any idea what could be causing this?

:)

smartcooky, Aug 12, 2021
  2. philc43 Win User

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED and Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Hello Les,

Have you checked other threads on these forums to see if there are any suggestions you can try.

Here's one to try: Windows 10 preparing automatic repair loop

philc43, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Dimps Win User
    endless loop of Preparing Automatic Repair ... Attempting Repairs ...

Thanks for the excellent review of "Refreshing" Win10. I've read through all of the posts in this thread hoping to find something that related to my own specific problem ... but no joy.

Three days ago my laptop refused to boot up properly, opting instead to go into the endless loop of "Preparing Automatic Repair ... Attempting Repairs ... Diagnosing PC".

I've been on several sites where fixes have been discussed, but none have worked for me. I've tried to use my Repair/Boot Disk that I made via Glary Utilities ... but nothing happens. Likewise, loading a System Restore Point has no effect.

It now looks like I have no choice but to Refresh Windows - which would take me back from v1803 to v1607. I have no great problem there, but have a feeling that after doing that I'm still going to find myself in the "Preparing Automatic Repair ... " loop.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Update ... I tried various options offered, including System Restore Point, several more times in desperation - and bingo! The first time SRP had got nowhere, but on the second attempt it informed me that it had failed due to being unable to update a file relating to Onedrive (desktop.ini?).

Aha ... with my abysmally slow Wi-Fi here (cuts off all the time) it gave me hope. So I tried once more, making sure the Wi-Fi connection kept open, and got back into Windows after 3 frustrating days.

Dimps, Aug 12, 2021
  4. Preparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety)

Preparing Automatic Repair/Diagnosing Your PC Loop

Hi,

To resolve your concern with continuously looping your system, we suggest that you follow the Startup Repair steps below:

• Turn off your computer.
    • Turn on your computer. As soon as you see the Windows logo with the spinning dots, press and hold down the power button until your computer turns off. Do this process
      twice.
    • Turn on your computer for the third time, and let it load.
    • It should give you the message: Preparing Automatic Repair.
    • On the next screen that would appear, click on Advanced Options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Go to Advanced Options.
    • Click on Startup Repair.
    • Wait for the repair to finish.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

Preparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety)

1. Preparing to repair (but NOT the endless loop variety) - Similar Threads - Preparing repair endless

2. Windows 11 "Preparing to Repair" Endless Loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "Preparing to Repair" Endless Loop: Used a flash drive to install Windows 11, everything went perfect. However, after one download too many it seems, the latest reboot gets me stuck in an endless "Preparing to Repair" message before rebooting. Over and over. Trying to reboot to the install disk on my flash...
  3. Windows 11 "Preparing to Repair" Endless Loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "Preparing to Repair" Endless Loop: Used a flash drive to install Windows 11, everything went perfect. However, after one download too many it seems, the latest reboot gets me stuck in an endless "Preparing to Repair" message before rebooting. Over and over. Trying to reboot to the install disk on my flash...
  4. Stuck in a preparing to repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in a preparing to repair loop: When I boot up windows it leaves me on the screen right after you can access bios and it forever loops. When I put it into repair mode it says “Preparing to Repair” takes about. 5 minutes and crashes before I can get to any of the options to repair the boot up… I would...
  5. Stuck in a preparing to repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in a preparing to repair loop: When I boot up windows it leaves me on the screen right after you can access bios and it forever loops. When I put it into repair mode it says “Preparing to Repair” takes about. 5 minutes and crashes before I can get to any of the options to repair the boot up… I would...
  6. Preparing Automatic Repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preparing Automatic Repair loop: Hi, Since today I have a very annoying problem. I keep getting my startupscreen saying 'Preparing automatic repair' loop' and after a few seconds switches to black screen and then back to 'Preparing automatic prepair'. This loop basicly goes on forever...what can I do??? My...
  7. Endless automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Endless automatic repair loop: So here's the situation and I hope someone is able to help me. Yesterday I turned my PC off and for some reason it took me multiple attempts to click "shut down" and by my mistake I cut the power to my pc off too early. Tried turning it on later in the day to be greeted with...
  8. Preparing Automatic Repair loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing Automatic Repair loop: I did a system restore to stop some startup apps from appearing and to keep my pc up to speed. After finishing this I tried to startup a game on my desktop. However the game said that some files were missing. So I restarted my pc but went into the preparing automatic reapir...
  9. Endless Automatic repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Endless Automatic repair loop: Hello! I tried to do a full reset of my pc and could only do one which made me keep all of my files. When I wanted to do a full reset it states that “there was an issue”. I decided to reinstall windows to see if that was the issue. After trying again I realised it wasn’t...
  10. endless loop of Preparing Automatic Repair ... Attempting Repairs ...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    endless loop of Preparing Automatic Repair ... Attempting Repairs ...: Thanks for the excellent review of "Refreshing" Win10. I've read through all of the posts in this thread hoping to find something that related to my own specific problem ... but no joy. Three days ago my laptop refused to boot up properly, opting instead to go into the...