Windows 10: preparing to upgrade

Discus and support preparing to upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Go to system info page (control panel, system) and it will tell you if 32 bit or 64 bit. To upgrade keeping files etc, you need to use same bit type. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by retired, Jan 24, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

preparing to upgrade

Go to system info page (control panel, system) and it will tell you if 32 bit or 64 bit. To upgrade keeping files etc, you need to use same bit type.

cereberus, Jan 26, 2016
  2. retired Win User

Update...........I was finally able to update my w7 computer to w10. (via the normal ms method).
    It took a long time, (I kept loosing my connection with my AT&T dsl service. Every time I got kicked off the connection, I had to 'retry' the d/l. Lucky, when I clicked on retry, it picked up the d/l where it left off). All of which meant I had to be sitting next to the computer when I lost my connection, so I could be there to resume my d/l of w10. To make a long story short, it took over 24 hours to completely d/l. After the d/l was finally completely finished, it took several hours to 'prepare for installation'. (I don't know how long that took, I went to sleep, but it also was several hours to finish). Well...finally it asked for the 'upgrade to complete', which I gladly accepted. That took about a half hour.
    Yippee...........after a short period of 'express setup', I'm up and running.
    Everything seeeeems to be working correctly.
    Should I be making a 'back-up' of the new system?

Thank you all for your help & input. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

retired, Jan 27, 2016
  3. cereberus Win User
    Really good plan to make am image backup. Recommend Macrium Reflect Free

cereberus, Jan 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

preparing to upgrade

It is wise to make an image of the system when it is running well (I prefer Macrium Reflect Free for that as well - also make the Macrium rescue media to go with your system image). It is also very wise to have the Windows 10 install media stored somewhere - which, unfortunately, you don't get the option to do when you use Windows Update to upgrade to Windows 10. You can try to make one this way:
    Create a recovery drive - Windows Help -

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

preparing to upgrade

1. preparing to upgrade - Similar Threads - preparing upgrade

2. What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?: I'm trying to upgrade from 8.1 to 10, but this popped up: "Realtek Bluetooth Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10". The microsoft link it gives me only links to trying to update windows 10, not upgrading. I have no idea what to do....
  3. What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?: I'm trying to upgrade from 8.1 to 10, but this popped up: "Realtek Bluetooth Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10". The microsoft link it gives me only links to trying to update windows 10, not upgrading. I have no idea what to do....
  4. What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...: I built two PCs some years ago purchasing Windows 8.1 Pro OEM licenses and all major system components from NewEgg.I later upgraded the PCs to Windows 10 Pro via "bare metal" installs because I upgraded the primary drives at the same time. IIRC, on "PC-A" I first installed...
  6. How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...

How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...: I built two PCs some years ago purchasing Windows 8.1 Pro OEM licenses and all major system components from NewEgg.I later upgraded the PCs to Windows 10 Pro via "bare metal" installs because I upgraded the primary drives at the same time. IIRC, on "PC-A" I first installed...
  7. How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...

I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...: I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for upgrade" for several hours. How should I proceed? Thanks,Denny...
  9. I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...: I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for upgrade" for several hours. How should I proceed? Thanks,Denny...
  10. What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?

What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?: I haven't yet gone ahead with the W11 update. Is there a risk of losing data, files and downloaded software? If so, are there any good free recovery/restore or backup options?Many thanks in advance.Kind regards...