Windows 10: preparing to upgrade

Discus and support preparing to upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Finished the w10 d/l. Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'. It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now. Is that how it's suppose to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by retired, Jan 24, 2016.

1. retired Win User

preparing to upgrade

Finished the w10 d/l.
    Now it's says 'preparing to upgrade'.
    It's been 'rolling' on this screen for several hours now.
    Is that how it's suppose to work?
    Does 'preparing to upgrade' really mean it's installing?

:)

retired, Jan 24, 2016
  2. BikerL Win User

"Preparing for the upgrade"

**** I have stopped it all** How do i get rid of the 3gb downloaded so i can try again another time?****

Hi all. I downloaded windows 10 this morning. From the task bar icon. Currently on 8.1

It has now been on Preparing for the upgrade for nearly two hours. I also have the windows update box saying "downloading windows 10". Preparing to install was fast.

I forgot to update windows 8.1 before i started. ***I forgot this. a hour ish ago i changed my windows update settings from let me choose, to automatic, to see if it helped anything***

In my Windows folder, i have a "Windows update" text file. It has been listing various updates. Including KB3103699 which is appearing a lot.

In my update history, the only one from today is GDRDU: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985)

It says failed. This was at 10.08am, shortly after the windows 10 download finished.

History says updates were installed 10.12am.

I have had a lot of disk activity, and something has been downloading. This seems to have slowed down now.

Service Host: Local system which includes Windows update has been using memory throughout.

Is it currently updating 8.1? Neither progress bar says anything, they are just moving.

i have had short disconnects from my internet too.

Thanks

BikerL, Jan 24, 2016
  3. "Preparing for the upgrade"

Try upgrading manually instead:

If the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant becomes stuck or unresponsive at 99%, please wait at least 4 to 7 hours. If setup does not progress, close the wizard then restart your computer. Follow the instructions to upgrade manually using
    the Media Creation Tool or the Windows 10 ISO file.

If you encounter an error regarding enough space to complete the upgrade, review instructions:

How
    to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Then try upgrading manually:

Option 1: Using the Media Creation Tool

Download the Media Creation Tool Now

Right click the MediaCreationTool.exe file then click
    Run as administrator.

preparing to upgrade [​IMG]

Note: How
    to verify if you downloaded or installed the Windows 10 November Update

Select Upgrade this PC now then click Next

preparing to upgrade [​IMG]

Option 2: Upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Pre-requisite Task

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup.
    See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

then

then

• Disable
      (preferrably uninstall)
      your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
    • Restart a few times then try again.
    • Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). You can do this from the Device Manager.
    • If you have any external devices attached to the machine, disconnect them (example, gaming controllers, USB keys, external hard disk, printers, non-essential devices).
    • Load your BIOS the reset the BIOS defaults.
    • Check if there any available BIOS updates for your system, then apply them.
    • If you are using a SCSI hard disk, make sure you have drivers available for your storage device on a thumb drive and it is connected. During Windows 10 setup, click the Custom Advanced Option and use the Load Driver command to load the appropriate driver
      for the SCSI drive. If this does not work and setup still fails, consider switching to a IDE based hard disk.
    • Perform a
      clean boot
      , restart then try again.
    • If you are upgrading using the .ISO file, disconnect from the Internet during setup, if you are connected by LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi, disable both then attempt setup again.
    • If you are updating through Windows Update, when the download reaches 100% disconnect from the Internet LAN (Ethernet) or Wi-Fi then proceed with the installation.
    • If that does not work, try using the .ISO file to upgrade if possible.
    • If you are connected to a domain, switch to a local account.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

preparing to upgrade

Hi, in my personal opinion, the best way to upgrade is to
    a. Create a full disk image (to protect your existing system and allow you to restore it if things go wrong)
    b. download the Win 10 iso and create your chosen installation medium

The installation could take 2hrs + - depends on numerous factors from internet speed to how big your OS partition is and your hardware speed.

I'd guess sthg's gone wrong.. which could mean you may not be able to recover your old OS unless you have a disk image.
    If Windows.old has been created on the disk (basically a copy of your old Windows without personal data) there might be a chance of doing so, booting from a Win 10 installation medium.

Otherwise you might like to consider a clean install.

Did you try to check compatibility with Win 10? Failure to upgrade could be due to sthg installed it didn't like, or a hardware issue.

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
  5. retired Win User
    Thank you,
    my latest attempts had these results:
    80072EFE & 0x80070057 errors.

Still need more help.
    thanks in advance.

retired, Jan 24, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    You can try following this guide. I suggest either step 4 or step 7.

swarfega, Jan 24, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    .. from where retired is now, is retired going to be able to boot his PC into Win 7 again? Those steps assume 'he' can of course.

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

preparing to upgrade

Can you get back into Win 7? Have you tried with a completely downloaded iso?
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
    When did you get those error messages?

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
  9. retired Win User
    I can get back into w7. All dl's have failed.
    I next tried uninstalling Avast & disconnected external drive.
    A recent dl also failed with this error code: 80072EE2
    I am not that good with computers, some of your advice may be hard for me to follow/complete.

retired, Jan 24, 2016
  10. retired Win User
    I will try the ISO dl thingy.

retired, Jan 24, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Good that you can get back into '7.
    If you need to, use a different PC for the downloads if you can't use yours.
    So -
    1. Back up
    a. get yourself a copy of Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect (Free) (Simply search for these).
    - of these, Aomei Backupper is the simpler, Macrium the more reliable (reportedly) for GPT (e.g. large) disk configurations.
    b. install that
    c. Burn yourself the boot CD for that program
    d. Use the program to create an image (= complete compressed copy of C*Smile to an external USB disk.

2. Download the appropriate Win 10 iso (32 bit or 64 bit to match your PC).
    3. Burn that to disk

Now, boot up your Win 7 PC and insert your Win 10 disk.
    Run Setup.exe and upgrade to Win 10.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
  12. retired Win User
    So...on the IOS d/l area of Tech bench, I have both 32bit & 64 bit, which one do I select?
    On step 5, do I open or save the dl file?
    Thanks

retired, Jan 24, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

preparing to upgrade

You will most likely want 64-bit. If you have more than 2gb of RAM and your processor will support 64-bit, that is what you want. Step 5 save the file.

NavyLCDR, Jan 24, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Er.. retired is aiming to do an upgrade from Win 7, so surely the download has to match his existing OS...
    @retired - can you confirm that's your aim? Thanks

dalchina, Jan 24, 2016
  15. retired Win User
    Yes, I am trying to upgrade to w10.

retired, Jan 25, 2016
Thema:

preparing to upgrade

1. preparing to upgrade - Similar Threads - preparing upgrade

2. What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?: I'm trying to upgrade from 8.1 to 10, but this popped up: "Realtek Bluetooth Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10". The microsoft link it gives me only links to trying to update windows 10, not upgrading. I have no idea what to do....
  3. What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?: I'm trying to upgrade from 8.1 to 10, but this popped up: "Realtek Bluetooth Your PC has a driver or service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10". The microsoft link it gives me only links to trying to update windows 10, not upgrading. I have no idea what to do....
  4. What do I need to do to prepare Realtek Bluetooth for upgrading from 8.1 to 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...: I built two PCs some years ago purchasing Windows 8.1 Pro OEM licenses and all major system components from NewEgg.I later upgraded the PCs to Windows 10 Pro via "bare metal" installs because I upgraded the primary drives at the same time. IIRC, on "PC-A" I first installed...
  6. How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...

How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...: I built two PCs some years ago purchasing Windows 8.1 Pro OEM licenses and all major system components from NewEgg.I later upgraded the PCs to Windows 10 Pro via "bare metal" installs because I upgraded the primary drives at the same time. IIRC, on "PC-A" I first installed...
  7. How can I prepare for a bare metal restore of system upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 w/o...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...

I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...: I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for upgrade" for several hours. How should I proceed? Thanks,Denny...
  9. I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for...: I'm trying to upgrade Windows 11 Home version to Pro, but it's been stuck on "preparing for upgrade" for several hours. How should I proceed? Thanks,Denny...
  10. What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?

What Preparations for Windows 11 upgrade?: I haven't yet gone ahead with the W11 update. Is there a risk of losing data, files and downloaded software? If so, are there any good free recovery/restore or backup options?Many thanks in advance.Kind regards...