Windows 10: Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

Discus and support Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It seems that copying some video files ( at least mp4 ), the "Date Created" property is not reliably preserved, especially to and from USB drives.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ffrree, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ffrree Win User

Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

It seems that copying some video files ( at least mp4 ), the "Date Created" property is not reliably preserved, especially to and from USB drives. About 10% of them would have the copy time time stamp instead of the original "Date Created" time stamp on the destination file, and it appears, that larger files are more susceptible. And it is not file dependant, recopying the same file, would yield different results.

The Encoding time stamp seems to be preserved all the time though.

Any reason why?

I need to use the "Date Created" time stamp preserved when downloading from my camera or SD cards, so I can sort the different files in time sequence, from different camera by the "Date Created" date. The Encoding Time stamp is not workable from Explorer.

Any idea what's the problem.

:)

ffrree, Dec 18, 2018
  2. dalchina Win User

Saving Video File Property Metadata, star rating, genre, etc.

Hmm.. beyond saying I can change the star rating (and it's retained) on an mp4 video file I copied into that folder, using the properties sheet, I've no suggestions other than 'does it work if you create a new user for test purposes'?

dalchina, Dec 18, 2018
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

MP4 File will not play

Based on the information you have provided, considering that you are encountering the same issue when playing the MP4 file on different applications, then it's possible that the issue is with the file itself. This could be caused by an interruption or an
    issue while the MP4 is being copied. I suggest that you create a new copy of the file and check if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Monica Cam, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying

1. Preservation of "Date Created" property for mp4 files when copying - Similar Threads - Preservation Date Created

2. Import photos and preserving date created

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Import photos and preserving date created: HiRecently I use the import function of the Micrososft photo apps to import photos from phone to the PC . The created date is the date that the photo is being imported into the PC and not the date that the picture is taken. 1 month ago when I use the same import function, the...
  3. Import photos and preserving date created

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Import photos and preserving date created: HiRecently I use the import function of the Micrososft photo apps to import photos from phone to the PC . The created date is the date that the photo is being imported into the PC and not the date that the picture is taken. 1 month ago when I use the same import function, the...
  4. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  5. File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer and date created/modified change when copying files/folders.: Dear Microsoft Wizards,I come to you with a tale of woe, a saga of time-displaced files and folders that have lost their way in the temporal vortex of Windows File Explorer. In an age where we can chat with AI, drive electric chariots, and binge-watch shows about dragons and...
  6. FIle Properties can't be edited in an MP4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle Properties can't be edited in an MP4: Hi - I've been capturing lots of old camcorder videos - and have them sorted on my Onedrive once I've topped and tailed the capture file.They are .MP4 - and I want to change the File Properties, but I am unable to. Any idea why they are locked?...
  7. Can preserve date created & date modified date and timestamp?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can preserve date created & date modified date and timestamp?: How can I preserve the date created & date modified date & timestamps when copying/moving between laptop and onedrive? I have tried to use softwares like vice versa pro below but it doesn't work. Are there other software solutions that can solve this problem or is there a way...
  8. Created date on Copied file not that of source file

Created date on Copied file not that of source file: I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied. Is there a way to have the "created date" for the...
  9. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  10. Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can I have the creation dates and modified dates preserved on copying?: I want to backup some files, I find that if I just copy and paste, the copied files in the new location has the new creation and/or modification dates. Is it possible to preserve those "dates" as the original one? 128344