Windows 10: Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

Discus and support Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently I have discovered an issue with what I believe to be my computer, not my specific keyboard. When pressing the media skip and replay buttons, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Cooper Williams1, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

Recently I have discovered an issue with what I believe to be my computer, not my specific keyboard. When pressing the media skip and replay buttons, I find they act as the P and Q keys as well. This problem does not occur when typing out on documents or searching things up, but rather when on an application that has specific keybinds and hotkeys. One thing to note is that I tried both Logitech and HP keyboards that included the skip and replay buttons, and the problem occured on both keyboards. Is there anywhere to rebind or unbind my keyboard keys?

:)

Cooper Williams1, Jan 29, 2023
  2. DylanMika Win User

Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down

Hello,

Recently, I've been having a very strange issue: while running certain programs, my computer suddenly begins to act as if certain keys on my keyboard are being pressed. In the beginning, it acted as though the CTRL key was pressed (ex: pressing "w" executes
    the "CTRL + w" command). Now, it acts as though my "c" and "v" keys are being pressed (when typing, a string of cs and vs are rapidly typed across the screen). Opening the onscreen keyboard confirms that my computer thinks that the keys are being pressed.
    Only restarting my pc temporarily fixes the issue. Here's what I've done to try to remedy it:

• press both CTRL keys for 15 seconds
    • turn off sticky keys, toggle keys, and filter keys
    • switch out my keyboard
    • plug my keyboard into a different usb port
    • uninstall and reinstall my keyboard drivers
    • hold CTRL + Shift for 15 seconds
    • reinstall windows
    • run system file checker
    • enter safe mode
    • uninstall and reinstall all of my usb drivers
    • check for malware

The problem with the CTRL key happened no matter what program I was using, but the problems with the c and v keys have only started while playing a game. Any help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DylanMika, Jan 29, 2023
  3. Try3 Win User
    Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

1 I agree that this is a problem. That context menu should only appear if shift-right-click is pressed.

2 I assume you do not have any utilities like Classic shell running that affect the user interface?

3 I suggest going to your computer maker, getting a new copy of the graphics driver & installing it.

4 Does this problem affect others users? If you don't know then create one and test it.

5 Do you have an alternative mouse/touchpad that you can try?

6 Are there any warning triangles in Device manager or any group calledOther devices?

Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys -taskbar-acts-if-shift-key-pressed-when-its-not-device-manager-warning-signs-icons-other-devices.png

Denis

4. manofthem Win User

Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

Booting without press any key

@dhievm go ahead and list the model number that gives exact specs/info.

Does it stop right at the Toshiba logo and sit there? Will it sit forever til you press a key, or will it eventually work after so long?

manofthem, Jan 29, 2023
Thema:

Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

1. Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys - Similar Threads - Pressing certain keys

2. I can't press multiple keys, but only certain keys.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't press multiple keys, but only certain keys.: So I was playing some games I notice that I can't press Down arrow and Right arrow at the same time while pressing D, or I'm unable to press Up arrow and Right arrow if I'm pressing X, and other type of versions like unable to press Right while holding Z and tapping X.I have...
  3. I can't press multiple keys, but only certain keys.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't press multiple keys, but only certain keys.: So I was playing some games I notice that I can't press Down arrow and Right arrow at the same time while pressing D, or I'm unable to press Up arrow and Right arrow if I'm pressing X, and other type of versions like unable to press Right while holding Z and tapping X.I have...
  4. I can't press multiple keys, but only certain keys.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pressing certain keys acts as 2 different keys: Recently I have discovered an issue with what I believe to be my computer, not my specific keyboard. When pressing the media skip and replay buttons, I find they act as the P and Q keys as well. This problem does not occur when typing out on documents or searching things up,...
  6. Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ctrl Key acting as if it is pressed??: I'm using surface pro 5th generation with Windows 10. Recently, it is acting as if Ctrl key is pressed while it is not. Please assist. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ctrl-key-acting-as-if-it-is-pressed/c0665232-f51b-421d-9e22-71bc6dcc5535
  7. Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down

Certain programs make my computer act as if certain keys are pressed down: Hello, Recently, I've been having a very strange issue: while running certain programs, my computer suddenly begins to act as if certain keys on my keyboard are being pressed. In the beginning, it acted as though the CTRL key was pressed ex: pressing "w" executes the "CTRL...
  8. Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?: Hello. The taskbar is acting as if the Shift key is pressed (it's not) because when I right-click windows in it, the wrong pop up appears. The one that appears is the one that would show up if you press Shift + Right Click. "Sticky Keys" is not on. The same doesn't happen...
  9. Pressing a Media Key "Presses" Another Key In Certain Programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pressing a Media Key "Presses" Another Key In Certain Programs: My problem is that pressing my media keys (volume up, down, play/pause, etc.) also does a certain function as of what another key does. Such as pressing the mute button would mute my PC, but would also "press" the D key. This probably doesn't make sense, but it does happen....
  10. Certain keys not registering when pressed

Certain keys not registering when pressed: Both my a and f keys don't seem to registrar when I click them so I wonder if there is anything to be done. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-keys-not-registering-when-pressed/cb3b3ba9-261c-405a-a03e-4991414e6a49