Windows 10: pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press

Discus and support pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I press Shift + W, I can press any other key such as 2, 3, etc. but 1 is not detected.Pressing any other alphabet key such as Q, E, etc. + 1 is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PriyaAravamuthan, Aug 6, 2021.

1. pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press

When I press Shift + W, I can press any other key such as 2, 3, etc. but 1 is not detected.Pressing any other alphabet key such as Q, E, etc. + 1 is detected as well.But only when pressing Shift + W + 1, the 1 is not registered.This is very annoying as when I am playing a game I need to stop pressing Shift in order to press 1. And no, it is not an issue of the game. I have checked on other systems and this problem has not occurred on them.

:)

PriyaAravamuthan, Aug 6, 2021

2. program to auto press 1?

how it work?

i start the program... in the box i press 1 and press enter and press 2 then press go and nothing happend.

oh nevermind it work when i press the address bar of my browser.

question: does it work on other application? say like a program that read text for you.... can it work on it? say we want it to auto type 1 in the text box in other program...

HiddenStupid, Aug 6, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User
    Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

1 I agree that this is a problem. That context menu should only appear if shift-right-click is pressed.

2 I assume you do not have any utilities like Classic shell running that affect the user interface?

3 I suggest going to your computer maker, getting a new copy of the graphics driver & installing it.

4 Does this problem affect others users? If you don't know then create one and test it.

5 Do you have an alternative mouse/touchpad that you can try?

6 Are there any warning triangles in Device manager or any group calledOther devices?

pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press [​IMG]

Denis

Try3, Aug 6, 2021
  4. MiSt77 Win User

pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press

Press Shift Key to turn off Caps Lock

Actually, I get asked this quite a lot

There is, however, a very good reason to prefer this (old) „Typewriter Caps lock“-behavior over the new default, and it's simply this: if „Press the SHIFT key“ (instead of „Press the CAPS LOCK key“) is selected, then the behavior of „Caps lock“ changes from being a „toggle key“ to being a key that can only be used to turn „Caps lock“ on – to turn „Caps lock“ off, one has to press (either) one of the Shift keys.

This can be advantageous for touch typists, who are used to writing long passages of text without looking at the keyboard, and especially so if they're (C/C++) programmers, who may still regularly find themselves typing in variable names of CONSTANTS_IN_UPPERCASE.

That's because, if Caps lock is not a toggle key, it's not necessary to keep track of its current „toggle state“ in your head:

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be on, I can press CAPS as often as I like. If it happened to be enabled already, nothing changes; otherwise, I can be sure it's enabled afterwards.

• If I want „Caps lock“ to be off, I can simply press SHIFT
    This sounds like a hypothetical advantage, but it's not. I work as a programmer, and I often find myself typing in code like the following:

/* Some debugging code; will only be included in debug builds: */
    #if defined _DEBUG

Afterwards, I may pause a little, to think about the code line I would like to type in next. Now, if „Caps lock“ is a toggle key, I may (once I decide to continue) be unsure if I actually remembered to turn „Caps lock“ off at the end of ‘_DEBUG’.

Did I? Did I not? – The only way to be sure, is to look.

This is not so, if the „Press the SHIFT key“ behavior is enabled. If unsure, I can just press SHIFT once, be sure of the set state, and merrily continue may way.

That, for me, is the single most important reason to prefer the „Press the SHIFT key“ setting. Also, interestingly, this used to be the default behavior in the old days … at least, until Microsoft decided to ditch Windows 9x in favor of Windows NT¹.

¹ Actually, my memory could be wrong in this regard and I'm not completely sure … maybe someone more knowledgeable in those matters can confirm that the „Caps lock“ default behavior was indeed changed during the switch from Windows 9x to Windows XP?

MiSt77, Aug 6, 2021
Thema:

pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press

1. pressing Shift + W + 1 does not detect the 1 key-press - Similar Threads - pressing Shift does

2. Beeping noise when pressing the keys shift, w and a at the same time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Beeping noise when pressing the keys shift, w and a at the same time: I play games and in every single game i try i cant press shift w and a at the same time and it only makes a beeping sound after a second or two, I have all updated drivers however im using a pc/2 slot keyboard, all my sticky keys and accessibility settings have been turned...
  3. Beeping noise when pressing the keys shift, w and a at the same time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Beeping noise when pressing the keys shift, w and a at the same time: I play games and in every single game i try i cant press shift w and a at the same time and it only makes a beeping sound after a second or two, I have all updated drivers however im using a pc/2 slot keyboard, all my sticky keys and accessibility settings have been turned...
  4. Pressing 1 will decrease volume, and pressing b will increase it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pressing 1 will decrease volume, and pressing b will increase it: I'm just minding my own business and then suddenly my 1 button will decrease my volume, b increase it and evertime I press shift it'll type ~Anything I can do to fix it? Theres no problem when using on screen keyboard...
  5. Pressing 1 will decrease volume, and pressing b will increase it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pressing 1 will decrease volume, and pressing b will increase it: I'm just minding my own business and then suddenly my 1 button will decrease my volume, b increase it and evertime I press shift it'll type ~Anything I can do to fix it? Theres no problem when using on screen keyboard...
  6. S,W and Space keys not working while pressed with Windows key and Shift key.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    S,W and Space keys not working while pressed with Windows key and Shift key.: I was trying to take a screenshot of the lesson done in class and when I pressed the WIn+Shift+S to take the screenshot, for some reason, it is not working. At first I thought this was a problem of the app and tried to reset as every key of my keyboard is working. But no, it...
  7. Pressing Ctrl and then pressing W does nothing.

Pressing Ctrl and then pressing W does nothing.: This issue is mainly in games and other things.Pressing Ctrl + W acts like it's stuck!Stickey Keys and anything like that is turned off, and this annoyes me because i cant do a lot of things!Any solution?...
  8. Window switch when pressing 1 key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Window switch when pressing 1 key: So this is weird and something I've never seen before. First, the details: Windows 10 Pro (1803 and yes, I know, I need to get it to 1909). Basically I run powershell sometimes to do a lot of my AD work. Setting out of office, creating accounts, etc... What's weird is that...
  9. Computer thinks shift key is pressed?

Computer thinks shift key is pressed?: Recently, while using my computer, it acts as though the shift key is pressed down. (Making my computer near impossible to use) The only way to get it to stop is to reset my computer, but it normally comes back within a few minutes/hours. All sites i have looked at have said...
  10. Press 1/! and I get Help!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Press 1/! and I get Help!: I am using a Dell Ultrabook (Latitude 7370) with Windows 10 and in any application once I press 1 or ! then help window is displayed. How do I proceed to resolve this rather annoying issue????...