Windows 10: Pretty amazed at Windows resilience when changing hardware...

Discus and support Pretty amazed at Windows resilience when changing hardware... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last few months, latest today, I have changed motherboard, gpu and cpu several times on a few desktops and not once have I ended up in a situation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Coram Daes, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Pretty amazed at Windows resilience when changing hardware...

Last few months, latest today, I have changed motherboard, gpu and cpu several times on a few desktops and not once have I ended up in a situation where Windows somehow died or had serious troubles and having to install it again. The old HAL from XP, Vista and 7 that was kinda sensitive - well very - when upgrading these components, seems to be gone and while you may have to activate your license, all the upgrades went great, despite prepping for the worst of course.

So what lies behind the overall better survivability of the Windows system when exchanging major hardware components? Anyone care to elaborate?

:)

Coram Daes, Oct 30, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Pretty Weird

Hi J.R.,

Device driver or hardware performance may be the possible cause why you're experiencing black screen. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you experience black screen? If yes, could you provide us the screenshot?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to troubleshoot black
    screen. You can choose which you experience the black screen and perform the instruction.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 30, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 30, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Pretty amazed at Windows resilience when changing hardware...

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 30, 2020
Thema:

Pretty amazed at Windows resilience when changing hardware...

1. Pretty amazed at Windows resilience when changing hardware... - Similar Threads - Pretty amazed resilience

2. Windows 11 is amazing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is amazing: If you have the specs I really recommend getting Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-is-amazing/7bcd0d65-82c2-4b21-b356-57e9f179c5eb
  3. Windows 11 is amazing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 is amazing: If you have the specs I really recommend getting Windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-is-amazing/7bcd0d65-82c2-4b21-b356-57e9f179c5eb
  4. Activation when changing hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation when changing hardware: My PC is running Windows 10 Pro, which was acquired via a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. I don't recall whether that version was OEM or Retail, as I got it something like 11 years ago through my university at the time. It involved going on to a microsoft store, adding a...
  5. Windows can be pretty light when it wants to be...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can be pretty light when it wants to be...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/AwesomePanda958 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iw4uo4/windows_can_be_pretty_light_when_it_wants_to_be/
  6. Windows resilience

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows resilience: I want to let you know what happened because it’s the first time in all my 30+ years of IT life. I used to have two volumes/partitions, C: for Windows OS and E: for my data. Thursday evening I started Windows Update (only for last November 2019 cumulative update, I update...
  7. Amazing Karaoke Not Launching

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Amazing Karaoke Not Launching: How do launch my installed Amazing Karaoke Windows smartphone app? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amazing-karaoke-not-launching/b379b94d-be03-41b1-a576-9119e7aed685"
  8. I'm truly amazed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm truly amazed: I had a SSD drive running Win 10 on a AMD CPU and decided to move it to a Intel laptop. I installed it, got everything ready for a clean install and powered up the laptop. NOT what I expected. The darn thing booted up, changed some device drivers and I was good to go. I know...
  9. Resilient File System (ReFS)

in Windows 10 Support
    Resilient File System (ReFS): Source: Technet Windows Server Library Resilient File System Overview Published: February 29, 2012 Updated: November 1, 2013 Applies To: Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 This topic describes Resilient File System (ReFS), a new file system...
  10. Microsoft perspective on cyber resilience

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft perspective on cyber resilience: In the wake of recent ransomware outbreaks, I wanted to understand how impacted firms have evolved their thinking on cyber resilience planning and implementation. I asked the Detection and Response Team at Microsoft, who help our customers proactively and in real time to...