Windows 10: Pretty disappointed so far

Discus and support Pretty disappointed so far in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enoch1138, Oct 3, 2014.

1. enoch1138 Win User

Pretty disappointed so far

A disclaimer: I never liked Windows 7, or Vista, or XP. I used them, but never enjoyed the experience. Windows Phone and Windows 8, and then 8.1 are the first OS Microsoft ever made that I liked. I fact I loved 8/8.1.

I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro.

I'm not loving it so far.

I feel like its a huge retrograde step so far. A lot of what made Windows 8/8.1 great on a touchscreen has been either compromised, or completely removed. Where's the touch IE? I can no longer swipe up to access app functions. Instead I have to try to hit a tiny button in the app title bar. Or resort to either my pen, or a mouse. I can't dismiss apps with a swipe either.

Now I'm aware they're going to add lots of stuff to this early preview. But as it stands right now, its a disaster for Windows tablet users.

I'm buying a new computer in February. I sure hope they've improved this by then. I was strongly considering getting a Surface Pro 3. Now I'm totally second guessing that. If I was going to the store today, right now, to get that new system I'd probably get a cheap laptop and a 128GB IPad instead. And I despise iOS. But, its TOUCH FRIENDLY.

:)

enoch1138, Oct 3, 2014

2. Nokia 920 a very big disappointment so far

Most likely those that have these symptoms have a broken phone.

I happen to have two Lumia 920, and the first one shows the exact above mentioned symptoms, but when I switch the SIM to my other Lumia, I get a solid 2-3 4G bars on the antenna.

Problem is of course, that when I go out with my "broken" phone, I do get a [weak] reception, which a dealer could take as a sign that there is nothing wrong with the device. However, since I can compare, I wont take nothing-wrong-here as an answer.

josif---01, Oct 3, 2014
  3. Nokia 920 a very big disappointment so far

Best reception of any phone I've ever owned. Reception has been short of amazing. Even deep inside Super Target I can still get signal. No phone I've ever had could do that.

In fact, I was inside Target today and overheard a couple complaining about their cell reception inside the store. I check mine and had two LTE bars and a functioning connection.

michail71---01, Oct 3, 2014
  4. labeeman Win User

This W10 test build was for desk tops and laptops touch is not in the picture yet there may be a future test build for touch as W10 is not to be rtm until the end of 2015.

labeeman, Oct 3, 2014
  5. Yep you are testing the release too early. If I were you I would go back to 8.1 and wait for a later release.

Indianatone, Oct 3, 2014
  6. Koub777 Win User
    This is what I personally did. The OS is not for productivity situations. So I went back to Windows 8.1.There are some more reasons that I will explain in another thread later.

As the other users said, its too early to conclude that its not touch friendly, for the simple reason, we dont know what microsoft has as future plans.

Koub777, Oct 3, 2014
  7. Flashorn Win User
    W 10 will be RTM in December of this year and full retail in April next year.

I have to say that, this is reminiscent of XP with a touch of 7 and a bit of 8.1 .

It's a new OS so, I am enjoying finding out what improvements they've made
    and what they've left out.

To tell you the truth, it's not bad for PCs and notebooks. I didn't have a Touch
    device so I really didn't like 8 or 8.1 as I uninstalled after a few days but, this
    one is growing on me. I still have to get used to where they all put things but,
    so far, I can say that it will appeal to me.

I do miss all the glitter that 7 has but, it's a fast OS and very responsive. Once installed
    the proper way, (I dual booted on a 7 notebook) it is fun to pay with.

I have installed most of the programs and browsers that I use on 7 and all have
    been behaving. Even installed .net 2.0 for the sake of testing a capture program
    and 10 didn't even flinch.

So far, I like what I see. I'm sure they will satisfy the Touch sensitive devices in
    latter builds and most likely have some kind of special feature to either activate it
    or disable it on other devices.

Flashorn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Pretty disappointed so far - Similar Threads - Pretty disappointed far

2. No solution to bsodb so far

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No solution to bsodb so far: I'm getting a blue screen saying "your device has ran into a problem" it then goes into automatic repair then the blue screen appears shortly after againI've tried all the advanced options and none of them have workedSafe mode still brings me to the blue screenWhen I try to...
  3. No solution to bsodb so far

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No solution to bsodb so far: I'm getting a blue screen saying "your device has ran into a problem" it then goes into automatic repair then the blue screen appears shortly after againI've tried all the advanced options and none of them have workedSafe mode still brings me to the blue screenWhen I try to...
  4. SecureAplus..pretty good so far

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SecureAplus..pretty good so far: I downloaded SecureAPlus whilst reading a thread from a member.So far so good . Downloaded the latest Windows Updates and during the installation SecureAPlus message popped up stating threat detected..strange i thought it's Microsoft Windows Update...checked SecureAPlus...
  5. BSOD, no ideas so far

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD, no ideas so far: I'm putting my dump file here, pretty desperate for some help. I get the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" crash pretty frequently it seems. I also notice that my machine can't seem to wake up from sleep-mode, as in, it comes to life, but is unresponsive to any input, other than the...
  6. So Far, So Good

in Windows 10 Support
    So Far, So Good: After installing Windows 10 onto my Dell 1545 it appears to run faster than Win-7 and while it will take some time to get used to MS Edge it appears to run faster as well. Learning curve is fair and not too steep. Happy so far. Hopefully I can install the ISO and new GF...
  7. Upgrading so far - Success

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading so far - Success: Greetings O Great Ones, from the Emerald Isle. Background: I've being using Windows since 3.00a. I had a dual boot set-up with 8.1 and 10240. 8.1 downloaded the RTM/GA. I have not upgraded this yet. 10240 downloaded only some of the files for the upgrade so I...
  8. Impressed so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Impressed so far: The upgrade had a hiccup but I've been very pleased with Windows 10 so far My observations ... All programs and hardware work with no modifications (was running 8.1) Full screen apps are manageable from standard PC desktop Like the new UI style, multiple desktops, task...
  9. So Very Disappointed With Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    So Very Disappointed With Win 10: I am so disappointed with Windows 10. I was happy with Win 7 but then Microsoft offered Win 10 for free and it was going to be new and improved and people were going to love the easy way the transformation was going to be... So I was duped into upgrading thinking I could...
  10. So far so good Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    So far so good Windows10: Installed Windows10 on two ASUS computers one running Win7pro the other 8.1,both installed Win10 without a problem. All files and installed programs were there after the instillation. Even my very old Paint Shop Pro 7 used on an XD computer again is working. But on the 8.1...