Windows 10: Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

Discus and support Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 professional license on my work computer. I have been notified that I can download and install the upgrade.I am a bit skittish... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Charles Kenyon, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

I have a Windows 10 professional license on my work computer. I have been notified that I can download and install the upgrade.I am a bit skittish about this. How do I temporarily prevent this from happening?Just not click on the "Download and Install" box?

:)

Charles Kenyon, Nov 19, 2021

2. Windows 10 Upgrade Error 11/11/2015

Hi Marianne,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are facing issues with installing the updates, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Were you able to see any error notification along with the error code?
    • What is the make and model of your device?
    • Are you able to boot in to the desktop?

This issue might be due to the anti-virus software or corrupted Windows Update Components.

I suggest you to hard reboot the computer and perform the below.

Step 1: Try to eject all the external devices connected to your computer except mouse and keyboard, reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to uninstall the anti-virus software installed on your device and check for the updates.

If the issue still persists,

Step 3: I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check.

Resolves problems that prevents you from updating windows.

Steps:

• Press Windows key and type
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      View all in the left pane.
    • Select Windows Update to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
      and follow the on-screen instructions.

For further reference: How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10
    Installation

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 Pro prevent automatic updates

Hi,

First of all, I apologies for the delay in response.

We would like to know if you are facing any issue with Windows 10. If yes, do let us know. We will be glad to assist you in resolving the issue.

If you are still facing the same issue, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Windows Update.

Follow the steps provided below to change update settings.

• Press Windows logo key + I key.
    • Click on Updates & Security.
    • Click on Advance options.
    • Check the box Defer Updates.

What is Defer upgrades in Windows 10?

Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent
    you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 19, 2021
  4. P4-630 Win User

Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Nov 19, 2021
Thema:

Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

1. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11 - Similar Threads - Prevent automatic upgrade

2. Preventing 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preventing 11 Upgrade: How can I prevent users of Windows Pro in a non active directory environment from upgrading to Windows 11?We use software for our MIS system which does not support 11 yet....
  3. Preventing 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Preventing 11 Upgrade: How can I prevent users of Windows Pro in a non active directory environment from upgrading to Windows 11?We use software for our MIS system which does not support 11 yet....
  4. Preventing 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Pro. I'd like to make sure that my computer will not be automatically upgraded to Windows 11 until I feel ready to make this change. Can anyone tell me what is the best way I can prevent the Windows 11 upgrade from taking place automatically?Along...
  6. Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11: Hi,I am running Windows 10 Pro. I'd like to make sure that my computer will not be automatically upgraded to Windows 11 until I feel ready to make this change. Can anyone tell me what is the best way I can prevent the Windows 11 upgrade from taking place automatically?Along...
  7. Preventing automatic upgrade from Windows 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11: I have a Windows 10 professional license on my work computer. I have been notified that I can download and install the upgrade.I am a bit skittish about this. How do I temporarily prevent this from happening?Just not click on the "Download and Install" box?...
  9. Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent automatic upgrade to Windows 11: I have a Windows 10 professional license on my work computer. I have been notified that I can download and install the upgrade.I am a bit skittish about this. How do I temporarily prevent this from happening?Just not click on the "Download and Install" box?...
  10. Prevent Automatic Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Prevent Automatic Upgrade to Windows 10: I support a large community of seniors. Typically I have them running Automatic Updates, because they don't want to do their own maintenance. The most common complaint they come in with is there computers are really slow. It usually turns out that they have 30 to 40 updates...